Feedback & Opinions - Tattoos, Piercings & Haircuts

Discussion in 'Current & Military Affairs Discussion Forum.' started by Ninja_Stoker, Jan 20, 2018.

?
  1. All entry standards should remain the same as now

45 vote(s)
    70.3%
  2. Tattoo regulations should remain.

17 vote(s)
    26.6%
  3. Tattoo regulations should be changed

8 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. Body piercing regulation should apply equally

10 vote(s)
    15.6%
  5. Gender specific hair regulations should remain

15 vote(s)
    23.4%
  6. Hair regulations should apply equally (regardless of gender/ethnicity/religion)

11 vote(s)
    17.2%
  7. Body piercing regulations should remain unchanged.

16 vote(s)
    25.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Lawman

Lawman New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    I'm *text deleted* revive a dead thread here and probs get some hate.

I would like to add my 2 cents, coming from a family of durg addicts and degenerates puts shade on me from the get go, but ill try anyway.

I personally think that people enjoy dressing nice, it allows people to show themselves at their best and shows people that they care. Not everyone is like this but the majority do enjoy getting into a fancy get up and showing off. I think the armed forces should/are the same, putting on a uniform is a sense of pride like no other, simply because its known in culture to be very smart amd very formal.

I dont think we should lose that just so people can feel more socially correct, the norm now is to try take everything and review it like a critic.

I personally love formal clothing and find it a pleasure to dress nice and it makes me feel like a better person.

Oh well.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Careers Adviser

Interestingly, the poll reflects your views @Lawman .

I was surprised, I expected the opposite.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando

Late to the party on this one, apologies!

Early days in NI we did. We were allowed shore leave in Belfast at times and our R & R was taken in the seaside town of Bangor, 24 hours at a time, where we partied big style.

It didn't last long, as 2 years later in 1972 it was totally different. No contact with locals outside of our base, except for the odd wet from "friendlies", R & R back in the UK etc. etc. Virtually everyone local was looked upon as a threat, well justified with two killed and 17 wounded in a 4 month tour.

A steep learning curve, but Ballykinler was good! :)

Alan

• Like Like x 4
  4. SixteenSixtyFour

SixteenSixtyFour Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I think it's a bit heavy-handed to try to hold everyone to the same standards regarding these kinds of things...

Clearly a Maori soldier should have more wiggle-room when it comes to above-the-shoulder tattoos than a Brit with their football team on their neck, or what have you. Likewise, I don't think it makes any sense to expect women to get a short back and sides to become a sailor. Ditto with Sikhs.

I think it boils down to looking presentable. Exceptions to the rules should be made in cases where someone looks the part even though they have a bit of ink on their hands, or whatever it may be. But doing away with all restrictions is just silly. Nobody would expect a private employer to completely disregard a potential employee's poor appearance -- for purposes of 'equality' any other reason. The same is true of the Forces.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Rover

Rover Moderator

Alan,

The Starry Plough did a good pint of Guinness, so I understand.o_O

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
    • Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  6. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando

Hands up all those who agree with @Rover !
    Starry Plough.jpg

Not RM, as we were in Denison smocks at that time!

Alan

• Like Like x 5
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 2
  7. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet

Any tattoo on the neck is a joke. Especially your own name or football club...

If anything you should be issued a slap in the careers office for it.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Rover

Rover Moderator

NCIS.jpg

• Hoofin Hoofin x 3
  9. Rover

Rover Moderator

Some units just could not understand the meaning of ‘covert’ and still tried to remain with some semblance of ‘military standards’! o_O

No_6_s.jpg
    -banghead--banghead-:cool:

• Hoofin Hoofin x 2