Feedback request - Cost of extra kit during training

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by Ninja_Stoker, Nov 27, 2018.

1. Jaykay2343

Jaykay2343 Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    I know they wouldn't have spent as much on shower gel or soaps.

• Hoofin Hoofin x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  2. westy

westy Well-Known Member

Perhaps they have to pay for parachute lessons?

• Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker .

There are lessons?

1200px-thumbnail-2.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  4. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

This should be a major concern. As I understand it one of the underlying reasons for Recruits being told to have a £200 buffer is to prevent the consequences associated with borrowing and lending within a Troop when some don't have funds to carry them over to the first pay cycle.

A buffer fund being plundered by requiring Recruits to subsidise the MoD's equipment budget is counterproductive.

5. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

Ahhh come on! :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  6. Andy2hips

Andy2hips Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Confused as to why not convinced illustrious mentioned most of this on his list from quite a few years ago (no disrespect) what reason would a lad lie about what he has had to buy.... honesty is the best policy surely making new recruits aware 100% of what is expected and required. So they can go into training knowing they not going to get into debt and still be able to face each daily challenge. Scenario what happens if a recruit has had to buy all this extra kit without the back up of finances at home that they weren't aware of needing as all literature states only need £200 for training that they then get injured and are medically discharged... or wrap after so many weeks.... they then find themselves in debt (which I am sure is something that is is one of the background checks prior to joining). So then you have a lad who wasn't in debt with bank or whoever coming out of service with money issues no accommodation to live in and no job... So why can't these lads have some honesty given to them prior to starting. Just a random scenario but worth a thought.

• Nailed It Nailed It x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  7. 03092014

03092014 Royal Marines Commando

@Andy2hips

As I said, I don't doubt that he has had to spend a lot of money on extra kit as all recruits have but it was more some of his items that had me unconvinced as to why they were being bought as frequently as suggested.

I think there should be a loan system where recruits are given say £200 upon joining then gradually pay that back over training. However I think it's wrong that we had to buy cleaning products for example.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker .

I'm beginning to suspect that recruits aren't directed to buy cleaning products but choose to buy stuff to clean accommodation areas because there's either not enough cleaning gear available or they decide the stuff provided for cleaning isn't as effective as the brand leaders available through commercial sources.

It would be interesting to hear feedback in this area.

For those not happy with the choice and quality of food, there is, and always has been, an established complaints procedure. In this particular area it's no good dripping online, the representation has to be specific and at the point of delivery.

"The food is crap" is a bit like "I can't be bothered". It's never going to be as good as Mum's cooking but it'll deliver an economic, calorific equivalent.

9. JWJ

JWJ Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    We're told to mop the floor using bleach, brasso all metal surfaces, wipe with disinfectant and relevant polish (i.e wood polish or window spray) each surface and lockers, do the windows etc etc. We didn't get any pusser's cleaning stuff for any of this; I suspect due to the view that why would recruits need bleach etc when there are ESS cleaners who clean the grots.

I can assure you the complaints procedure is experiencing high levels of traffic currently

• Gucci Info Gucci Info x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker .

Good effort. Last time I was at CTC (end of Oct) there were plenty of verbal drips about the food but very few formal complaints submitted.

Hopefully the complaints are now being submitted correctly and are being acted upon.

• Like Like x 2
  11. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

Anyone know what the budget is for feeding lads in RT? 3 main meals and 9ers.

12. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

It might be interesting to compare the meal cost with that budgeted for those in HMP custody.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 1
  13. Something Original

Something Original New Member

Any chance of convincing the brass that Arc'teryx is required gear?

14. Wings

Wings Parachute Regiment

I probably spent on the kit list we were given maybe 100 bit more then essentials like large zip lock bags that naffi sell lighters waterproof map cases foam rollers actual essentials maybe 100 more. You get 200 as well If i recall week 1 or week 2. I was fortunate to have a friend in The Reg who told me money saving tips which helped a lot. Some blokes were in 300 pound margin after week 4 which didnt effect them, but thats extreme cases.
    Especially in battalion as that goes up once again

Luckily he had a buckshee parachute I could borrow. Just had sniper tape a couple holes and it was good to go

• Gucci Info Gucci Info x 2
  15. Wings

Wings Parachute Regiment

You were allowed JETBOILS?? And actual dry bags!

16. Wings

Wings Parachute Regiment

We didnt have any cleaning products except later weeks they did get mops and brushes in but to wash your kit youd have buy brushes polish and chemicals for the ablutions which isnt loads but it adds

17. Illustrious

Illustrious Royal Marines Commando - Moderator

@Wings Only for Final Ex for the jetboil. The dry bags were allowed from Phase 2 onwards, of which I've invested at least £200 worth of them. Probably more thinking about it as I have everything from the smallest to the largest.

18. JWJ

JWJ Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    We get 3 dry bags, 2 small for the side pouches and a large one for the main bag, from day 1 now; though we still have to individually waterproof each item.

19. corvus

corvus Member

To back up JWJ recruits have been repeatedly told they are not allowed to be issued bleach by ESS cleaning services for reasons (?)

Obviously it is unbelievably stupid and actually insulting, but both times I've been at ctc the rule was the same. You just end up buying your own from wilkos on the weekend.

20. westy

westy Well-Known Member

I believe bleach comes under COSHH rules and that’s why you won’t get it!

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1