Feedback request - Cost of extra kit during training

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by Ninja_Stoker, Nov 27, 2018.

1. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker .

There is indeed an issue with regard the control of substances hazardous to health. Sounds odd for an organisation that gives you a rifle, ammunition, explosives and daggers to play with in an environment laced with Novichok, radioactive and/or biological toxins, whilst another bloke tries to kill you with a pointy stick, but it is factually correct.

The reason is not as many may imagine ("bleach tastes yucky and is a bit smelly"), but simply because the cleaning compounds used by the contracted companies have to be chemically compatible. And, so I'm told, bleach actually reacts violently with the dolphin-friendly products used by the cleaning company ...and is therefore not approved.

Strange, but true.

Luxury. We just ate cold, wet gravel.

• Hoofin Hoofin x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Illustrious

Illustrious Royal Marines Commando - Moderator

*text deleted* off! I've seen you mention living the life of Sir Walter Raleigh on your floating wooden hotels! (ships were still made of wood in your day weren't they?):D

*I'll get my modern 21st century man made fibre coat.

• Hoofin Hoofin x 3
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker .

Fair one, but cruising to war in a climate-controlled warship, lying on a sprung mattress, next to the Jacuzzi and being fed stuffed olives by a dusky butler whilst someone dhobey's your kit for you, isn't always all it's cracked up to be.

No hang-on. It is. :)

• Hoofin Hoofin x 3
  4. Mattys

Mattys Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    What’s the procedure for those who go to recruit training straight from school and don’t have family or savings to fund them can they not go until they notify there afco they have the money?
    Personally it seems a lot of money to shell out to do the job I understand it’s required equipment and helps out a lot!
    See there’s a few people on here throwing £400,£500 figures out on stuff that is needed out of there own pocket which I expect a high majority or younger recruits or those with families can’t just openly spend if there not getting there 1st pay for up to 6 weeks.

Personally I think what ever is required to do the job should be given by the forces and not out of your own pocket unless it’s for your own reasons/convenience.

I could justify in saying that anything up into say week 16 (phase 1) should be provided to the recruits that is needed to do the job and not out of their own pocket but then once entering into phase 2 it is down to the recruits.

I just can’t see why recruits should have to pay out so much for a job position that can end after a few weeks if injured as much as you want that green beret at the same time it’s a job and you shouldn’t have to pay for things that are needed to do that job regardless.

Any idea if it’s just the marines/navy that take this approach of having to buy your own stuff or do the others do the same Army/Air Force?

• Like Like x 4
  5. ERFC

ERFC Royal Marines Commando

We were still on resealable bags all the way up to final ex.... :mad: No jet boils, nothing, expected to work with kit that didn’t actually do its job!

• Like Like x 4
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

And yet the British Empire was built despite kit never being fit for purpose, probably since the Battle of Agincourt in 1415.
    Which emphasises that it's all about the man and not about the kit.

• Like Like x 3
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 2
  7. boysinbluenew

boysinbluenew New Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Apparently the lads there had to buy extra bowstrings, Gucci quivers (replacing ones from stores) and nip into town for extra scran as the camp one was not up to it...

• Hoofin Hoofin x 2
  8. Mattys

Mattys Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I’d go ahead and say an expenses approach would be a good line to take.

There should be qualifying grants/perks for each recruit for training.
    Similar in ways to the original advance payment.

£200 EACH RECRUIT.

If you get medically injured/discharged(failing) aswell as passing out you shouldn’t have to pay it back.

If you get kicked out or just decide to leave it should have to be paid back.

I understand you will more than likely have to pay a lot more than the £200 through training but it will help out a lot of recruits.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Wings

Wings Parachute Regiment

You use resealey bags and no jet boils all the way through till you pass out in para depot

• Like Like x 1
  10. JWJ

JWJ Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Must be a long 28 weeks

• Like Like x 1
  11. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Only twenty-two weeks in my day. And that included the Basic Parachute Course.

• Gucci Info Gucci Info x 2
  12. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker .

Surely the BPC only takes five minutes (From stepping out the door to landing)?

Ten if it's windy.

• Hoofin Hoofin x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Considerably less than five minutes, hopefully. :eek:

• Hoofin Hoofin x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Illustrious

Illustrious Royal Marines Commando - Moderator

30 seconds if you forget to pull.-nailbiting-

• Hoofin Hoofin x 3
  15. Rover

Rover Moderator

From a previous post.

Things to remember from the ‘school’ days, at Abingdon.

Should you jump from an aircraft at 1200ft and your parachute deploy fully, you will arrive safely on the ground in around 45 seconds. Dependent on your weight and the wind.:)

Knowledge Dispels Fear.;)

Should you jump from an aircraft at 1200ft and your parachute malfunction, you can be in the ground in around 6 seconds.o_O

A Little Knowledge is a Dangerous Thing.;);)

• Hoofin Hoofin x 3
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando

50 seconds tops!

Alan

• Hoofin Hoofin x 2
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  17. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

I'm suddenly feeling much younger. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker .

That's barely long enough to enjoy the views :(

• Like Like x 1
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  19. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    You shouldn’t need to shell out that much on kit. A lot of it is issued. And a lot of it isn’t better issue than many of us ever got. Even Bivvi pokes are issued now. (You could buy them expensively or chop up a broom handle, for free...)

Sadly there’s a lot of YouTube wannabe “celebrities” posting crap about joining up and “passing” recruit training and cashing in on lads naivety it now knowing any better.

I have posted a few videos of one lad (driver in the RLC) who gives crap advice and is obviously being paid to advertise kit. He is an absolute toilet of the first order. And preying on young lads/women and parents that don’t jnow any better.

You won’t be allowed jetboils (which aren’t all they are hyped to be anyway) or brand new daysacks or anything.

The only bits of non issue kit allowed, is drybags and a small thermos flask. That’s it.

It is a shambles that you have total doorknobs badly advising potential recruits for their own financial gain. We all give up our time in this forum to help lads out, and I don’t expect any of you to pay me for it (except maybe a pint in Jollies).

Stay away from the Kit shop, they prey on Nods and manipulate them into spending a fortune. It’s a crap shop, with crap staff. There’s a few other shops I would rather spend my cash in.

• Like Like x 3
  20. westy

westy Well-Known Member

I always thought you were only allowed issue kit anyway? Under the assumption you have to know how to use it and the fact that if your Gucci £1000 boots rot in the jungle, pusser won’t replace them anyway