Feedback request - Cost of extra kit during training

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by Ninja_Stoker, Nov 27, 2018.

1. Wings

Wings Parachute Regiment

Very long, longest 7 months my life. Ended up just eating cold rations wasnt worth the admin of using dragonfire hexi took too long

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Andy2hips

Andy2hips Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    You say to stay away but what should they do when being told by TT they need this stuff curious

3. Illustrious

Illustrious Royal Marines Commando - Moderator

That'd get you dead in the Arctic. Those dragonfire hexis are a massive improvement over the old hexi.

• Like Like x 1
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 1
  4. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

I can only imagine. The Arctic isn't my environment. Can't overstate the importance of a warm brew and scoff, even in the hills here.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Morticia

Morticia New Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    My Nod joined in September, in the first 6 weeks we supported him to the tune of £550. The £200 he went in with was spent in the first week and he was asking for the same amount again going into week 2.
    He is constantly having to supplement meals, buy required kit and cleaning materials weekly (Mr Sheen is a must have.......never thought I’d hear him say that sentence ;))
    He is currently struggling to maintain his weight and I can only think this is down to low calorific meals, weekends are particularly poor in the galley apparently.
    Their first Saturday consisted of going ashore after 4pm with a long list of kit to buy. During that time he was expected to buy several items of kit, in a place he was unfamiliar with, whilst in competition with 45 other lads all after the same items and to get back to base on time!
    It’s a dead cert to fail.
    I feel for those lads who were either discharged or chitted it within the first month having just forked out for all these items.
    My Nod is very lucky to have a family who are able to support him financially but I expect a lot of these lads aren’t as fortunate.

• Like Like x 3
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  6. JWJ

JWJ Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    @ThreadpigeonsAlpha No one in my troop has brought anything gucci or extra; the TT has been crystal that we won't be allowed anything untill Phase 2, and even then its not much i.e jetboils on final ex, our own gloves and hats after violent entry, extra food after VE etc etc. The extra 'kit' really is cleaning supplies and the day to day requirements.

7. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

I didn't do my RT at CTCRM and I can't recall ever applauding service meals. Everyone drips about food; it's a try-service tradition. But somehow, CTCRM adequately (choosing the word carefully here) feeds Recruits to produce Trained Ranks every two weeks.

Arguably, if your lad maintains his body weight he will be unusual. The calorific content of food is carefully calculated but I ponder that even if it was increased by 50% most Recruits would lose body weight because the physical training is so intense and relentless.

Recruits being pressured into buying kit is another matter. They should be investing funds in beer and Nando's on a Saturday afternoon, not subsidising the MoD's equipment budget.

• Like Like x 2
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2
  8. sy_lume

sy_lume Royal Marines Commando

Every bootneck ends up in there over draft at some point any way

9. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

Me neither, I had the pleasure of Army chefs feeding me throughout my entire career. I must say, the standard of food was outstanding. And also I feel the chefs took immense pride in their function too! And us grunts were always extremely grateful. A company chef deployed with us in N.I and he absolutely dug out massively for the lads! Serving up a good meal at silly o’clock In the mornings.

I do wonder if all branches of the service would be better off going back to service chefs providing servicemen and women with their food?

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 3
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2
  10. Wings

Wings Parachute Regiment

Oh aye i understand ive never been as cold in my life in otterburn but depot exercise is compeletly different to an actual one once youre out. You arent messed around nearly half as much so you usually have adaquete time. Dragonfire are good burners but heavy when out for 7 days

11. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

Have you done 28 weeks yet?

• Like Like x 3
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 2
    • Seen Seen x 1
  12. Moonduster

Moonduster Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    When you are with your unit (either RM or Paras) what do you use for cooking on excercise or deployment? Do you have to use the issued kit (dragonfire) or does it come down to personal preference? If so what is most popular?

13. 03092014

03092014 Royal Marines Commando

When you've passed out you can use what you like i.e Jet Boil, Pocket Rocket or Dragon Fuel.

Most popular is gas so Jet Boil or Pocket Rocket. That's what I've seen but I'm only 12 months out the box.

• Like Like x 4
  14. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Back in the dark ages of the 1970s many lads used gas Globe Trotters. They were quite cheap and weren't bad if one used propane mix gas cylinders. It fitted neatly into its own mess tins.

globe_trotter.jpg

• Like Like x 3
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2
  15. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando

Staple kit, especially in the ulu! Trouble was the canisters in their light blue weren't very tactical.

Alan

• Like Like x 2
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  16. Illustrious

Illustrious Royal Marines Commando - Moderator

I've gone over from jetboil to an MSR dragonfly as it's a multi fuel stove and doesn't suffer at altitude extreme cold weather like my jetboil did.

• Like Like x 2
  17. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

This was my choice, came with its own metal box to cook rations in. I wasn’t too keen on taking a litre of petrol everywhere mind, so always had an emergency hexi kit too. Pretty impressed with how fast it boiled a pot! But nothing compares to the speed of a jetboil however. It lasted me absolutely ages tho, and was totally bomb proof!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  18. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

The Globe Trotter struggled in cold weather and at altitudes above about six inches. Can't get too misty eyed about it.

• Hoofin Hoofin x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker .

I need to get quantified feedback on jetboil - logic suggests that a volume of water will need a statutary input of heat energy to achieve boiling point.

Given environment (temperature, humidity, wind speed, altitude, etc) I'm struggling to understand how a compressed gas cooker, regardless of heat output, can boil boil oggin faster than bog standard methods.

I'd be fascinated to see time comparisons such as an electric kettle, jetboil, microwave and hexamine bringing half a litre of water at 5 degrees centigrade to boiling point at sea level.

My guess on the fastest? Microwave. (Not that I'm recommending it as an item of kit.)

• Like Like x 1
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  20. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

A fair point. Convenience is a factor. Hexamine was toxic and also grubby; hours of fun scraping off welded-on carbon from mess tins and 44-pattern bottle mugs. The phrase "now we're cooking' with gas..." was coined for good reason. :)

Butane gas doesn't function well in chilly (as high as +5°C and below) environments. Butane/propane mixes are more efficient.

As an aside, steam boats are often fitted with a 'Windermere kettle'. This uses a direct steam valve connection from the boiler to a copper tube heating element coiled within a two litre tank. Ambient temperature to +100°C in about five seconds.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2