Feedback

Cuzza22297

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
After a few problems with my knee I have finally been able to start consistently training for the last month or so.
I put together the programme below for myself and some feedback would be great as things can always be improved. I intend to follow it for 12 weeks (just started my 2nd week), followed by arnys plan up to my POC. I passed my first mock PJFT yesterday so by the time that comes around - probably around February - I should be looking at a decent return time.

Thanks

Monday:

RMFA

Tuesday :
Cycle machine high resistance 30 min

Wednesday:
PJFT mock on treadmill
Press ups, sit ups, overhand pull ups 3 sets to MAX (1 min rest between sets, 30 secs between exercise)

Thursday:
Fintan

Friday:
3.5 Mile Run (increase by 0.5 mile each week up to 8 miles)
Press ups, sit ups, overhand pull ups 3 sets MAX (1 min rest between sets, 30 secs between exercise)

Saturday:
Rest

Sunday:
PJFT mock on treadmill
Press ups, sit ups, underhand pull ups 3 sets to MAX (1 min rest between sets, 30 secs between exercise)

Hyperhippo

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
On the press, sit, pull ups you do after a mock PJFT, instead of doing 3 sets max I would personally do first set assisted, second set just body weight, and third add weight, then fourth body weight, and fifth assisted again.

Also I would put some swimming in as well for an active recovery session, looking at your program I would do this later on after your fintan circuit, so if your fintan is in the morning, and providing your not working or whatever I would go for a swim in the evening. If you can’t make it swimming I would spend half an hour or so before bed having a good all over stretch.

Hope this helps.

Cuzza22297

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply. I will add a swim in after fintan as do have time for that. Would a gentle breaststroke for 45 mins work? or something more intense

Also, are those sets still all to the max?

Hyperhippo

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah that would work. Do whichever you feel comfortable with, as there’s no impact it’ll work as an active recovery plus extra CV workout.

With the exercises, if you want to max out then yeah. Take a minute rest between sets. Or you could work out a rep scheme and increase each week to ensure progression. The problem with making out that I have is one week you could do 46 press ups, the next 51, and then the third week down to 48, then 44 etc. You could be all over the place, and you’ll think your not improving because your “maxing” out. When it could down to other factors, stress, sleep etc. etc.

So work out a rep scheme and increase each week to ensure progression

Cuzza22297

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I have just been using the RMFA on the Monday as the session for recording progression. Whilst I do obviously count I haven't being paying much attention to the number of reps on my other press/sit/pull sessions

arny01

Ex Pongo.
Reaction score
I have just been using the RMFA on the Monday as the session for recording progression.
This is great! If your seeing gradual improvement week by week, then your training is working. Using the RMFA To monitor progress is spot on. Your schedule looks good! Add in a swim or use it as an active recovery Session? Don't get too hung up on complicated programs! Be specific and you'll smash it.

If It was me? I'd take out the mock Pjft on Wednesday and add a hill sprint session followed by some sort of return. Then do your mock Pjft after a rest day later in the week. The hill sprints session will be far more valuable to you.

Cuzza22297

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you both for the advice. Will stick a recovery swim on thursday evenings after fintan and replace the wed pjft with a hill sprints session.

Cuzza22297

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Just back from the swim session, I did:

4 x lengths breaststroke
1 min rest
1 underwater length breaststroke
1 min rest

X 4 sets

25m pool so 500m in total.

Does that sound about right or should I be doing more?

arny01

Ex Pongo.
Reaction score
Just back from the swim session, I did:

4 x lengths breaststroke
1 min rest
1 underwater length breaststroke
1 min rest

X 4 sets

25m pool so 500m in total.

Does that sound about right or should I be doing more?
Ye looks OK. If it's an active recovery Session your aftet tho. Just swim gently non stop for 40-50 mins. Underwater lengths or Hypoxic swimming will increase lung capacity, so it all depends on what your after during a session. And what works best for you.

Cuzza22297

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, maybe I'll mix it up a bit for the swimming depending on how i'm feeling,