Feel like I'm losing fitness, confused!!

hunter2240

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Alright lads.

I'm a bit confused as my fitness seems to be decreasing! For 2 months after my Christmas rest I was doing 3x5 mile runs a week with one hill sprints session, I was doing them comfortably at 6/7 minute miles but 2 weeks ago I switched one run for a 3 mile best effort PRMC style and sometimes I'm struggling to complete the second 1.5!!

Now when I do 5 mile runs my legs are hanging out at not even half way and that's doing an 8 minute mile pace! Everything thing else is fine, my heart and lungs could go forever!
It's not a mental thing because I push myself until my legs pack in on me, just a lot sooner than I'm used too. I refuse to wrap!

Do I need a rest week or what?
How do I maintain fitness during a rest week?

Cheers.

Hunter.

MacheteMeetsBiscuit

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
You're overtraining. Had this sort of issue at the end of January/early Feb and was absolutely miserable about it! Went from doing 50 Burpees in 2:47 to doing them in 3:50 which was made even worse when we had a Burpee race as a group and I finished last...

What cured it? Honestly taking a week off and stocking up on food in VAST quantities. Pig out on good foods, maybe with the odd treat as well, and hit it harder the next week. First run will be just as bad but the rest after that will be back on form.

GingerjoeRM

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Sounds like you're definitely over training! Funny you post this today. For ages, I felt nackered etc, training away and not seeing massive progress. Injured myself, last four weeks haven't done any harsh impact/speed work like hill sprints/intervals. Just clocked a personal best at 8.54.

It's weird. I know I'm motivated. Now I feel as if I'm not..properly training, I run 3 times a week! Yet it seems before I was probably massively overtraining! I'm at a calorie deficit, on a diet, yet still smashed this run. Although it seems like I'm not actually training, this is probably how training should be.

Do you feel tired throughout the day? I'd look up symptoms of overtraining, and see if you are. I used to force out 4 cardio sessions then a swim or something.. I'd say I'm in the best state now!

hunter2240

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Sounds like you're definitely over training! Funny you post this today. For ages, I felt nackered etc, training away and not seeing massive progress. Injured myself, last four weeks haven't done any harsh impact/speed work like hill sprints/intervals. Just clocked a personal best at 8.54.

It's weird. I know I'm motivated. Now I feel as if I'm not..properly training, I run 3 times a week! Yet it seems before I was probably massively overtraining! I'm at a calorie deficit, on a diet, yet still smashed this run. Although it seems like I'm not actually training, this is probably how training should be.

Do you feel tired throughout the day? I'd look up symptoms of overtraining, and see if you are. I used to force out 4 cardio sessions then a swim or something.. I'd say I'm in the best state now!

I'm going to take a week off and just swim and eat! I'm on a weight gain diet so hopefully a week off will help me gain that little bit more too.
Swimming could be doing with the training, I'm gash! Haha.

My motivation is through the roof, all I want to do is train and get as fast, strong, fit and efficient as I can! Getting too and passing PRMC at a superior grade is my only goal just now.

The only thing in the over training symptoms I'm having is my performance dropping, my muscles don't feel fatigued at the start of the session and it just comes like a ton of bricks about 1.5/2 miles in, my head and heart are pushing me on and my legs are telling me to wrap!

Taking a rest till Wednesday and I'll hit it hard with a 3 miler then, my personal best is 8:15 and I'm fitter now that I was then, I'm struggling to get sub 9:50 just now!!

Mingmong

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I'm having the same thing with press ups mate. It frustrating the hell out of me. I've been hammering the upper body, with constructive exercises and LOADS of press ups. Finished a 10 day burst of 200 a day and gym work last week after 3 days off expected wonders yesterday and today and Nope, stuck on 45 and I was struggling to get a standard 15 in after a sprint sesh today. Weirdly I seem to be far better at night, regularly dropping and banging out 40 every 30 mins but not during the day after a nights kip. No idea whats happening. I'm seeing a decrease and I'm flapping about it. Not to high jack your thread bud but anyone reading got and ideas?

Anthony_H

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Not on your own, I seem to have hit a wall with my below scores, but my running and muscle endrance is rapidly decreasing and has gone down alot since jan the 13th.

jable1066

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
The question about rest has to be asked... How much rest are you guys taking and how much do you eat and what do you eat and when? Also what are your sleep patterns like? The fact is, absolutely anything could be causing a decline in fitness, you need to give more information! This is why it's important to keep a detailed log, so you can look back and compare what you were doing.

"Oh, I was faster then because I slept 7 hours a day, ate 4 square meals, had my nutrition dialed in and rested 2-3 days a week."

hunter2240

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
The question about rest has to be asked... How much rest are you guys taking and how much do you eat and what do you eat and when? Also what are your sleep patterns like? The fact is, absolutely anything could be causing a decline in fitness, you need to give more information! This is why it's important to keep a detailed log, so you can look back and compare what you were doing.

"Oh, I was faster then because I slept 7 hours a day, ate 4 square meals, had my nutrition dialed in and rested 2-3 days a week."
I'm on 4 meals a day.
Breakfast is a double helping of Scots porridge, a snack an hour later, lunch is usually beans on toast, then I do my phys followed by dinner, usually 2 chicken fillets with pasta, rice or potatoes, then supper is usually toast and cheese or pizza and chips with a pint of milk.

I sleep about 8/9 hours every night and I train 4 days and rest 3. That's what's confusing me mate, I've not changed my diet or rest over the last while. I can't change much due to various circumstances.

It went down hill when I got a girlfriend, I was walking 6 miles every other night to go and see her and I really was over doing it but I was still hitting my times, then it just started to get too much over the last 2 weeks or so and my times and distances just decreased, leg fatigue has taken over. That's the only thing that's changed since Christmas.
She's gone now, no more 6 mile round trip but I think I just need a rest, it must have all just built up over time.

S

stokey_14

I'm on 4 meals a day.
Breakfast is a double helping of Scots porridge, a snack an hour later, lunch is usually beans on toast, then I do my phys followed by dinner, usually 2 chicken fillets with pasta, rice or potatoes, then supper is usually toast and cheese or pizza and chips with a pint of milk.

Here could lie part of the problem, that does not look like an athletes diet to me, where are the veggies/ quality protein and fat sources?

Pizza and chips is not the supper of a champion unfortunately.

Stokey

Baron

Reaction score
Here could lie part of the problem, that does not look like an athletes diet to me, where are the veggies/ quality protein and fat sources?

Stokey
Tell that to Michael Phelps ;)

S

stokey_14

Tell that to Michael Phelps ;)

Just because one world class genetic freak with a work capacity/ work rate far higher than any PRMC hopeful gets away with it does not mean it?s suitable for us mere mortals.

I am also doubtful that the OP and Phelps have the same calorie requirement, reason why Phelps is known to eat junk is because re-fuelling him on clean foods would take and mind numbing amount of food.

Stokey

Baron

Reaction score
I must have imagined you saying this then... ;)

Stokey
I didn't say he should be eating it; I was merely suggesting Phelps is a champion, and does eat it...

Winning.

S

stokey_14

I must have imagined you saying this then... ;)

I didn't say he should be eating it; I was merely suggesting Phelps is a champion, and does eat it...

Winning.

Die in fire.:fight:

Stokey

Grimmey

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
pizza once a week isn't going to hurt...but then again pizza everyday isn't going to do much good either...:dinner: