Feet when running

Simon1992

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

When I start running my feet are fine, probably about 10 minutes in the bottom of the get a really bad pain in them but if I carry on running it eventually goes and I can run normally again....

Any idea what this is?

I use proper running shoes as well, I also run on road....

Thanks
Simon

Ty

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Can you describe where along the bottom of your foot the pain starts ?. The heel ?, ball ? toes ?, sides ?. Do you stretch before running ?. I tend to do a very small amount of stretching before running. Then simply do a slow 5 minute jog to loosen everything up. Once your body gets warmed up, usually half way through your run, is when I stop and do a lot of proper stretching. It's never good to stretch a cold muscle.

Simon1992

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

Usually its in the middle bottom, like the muscle has turn to wood of something and isnt flexible....

That might be my problem, I will start to do light stretches and then a 5 min job and then stretch properly...

Thanks for your reply
Simon

Ty

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Yea, do some good stretches, especially calf and hamstring stretches. Also make sure when you run, not to come down on the heel of your foot, come down on the ball of the food. Also be sure to push off with your feet. Sounds like you might not be landing properly, or pushing off properly on the foot.

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Yea, do some good stretches, especially calf and hamstring stretches. Also make sure when you run, not to come down on the heel of your foot, come down on the ball of the food. Also be sure to push off with your feet. Sounds like you might not be landing properly, or pushing off properly on the foot.
i try an do that when running but after the first mile i just can't be bothered with the whole ball of your foot thing...*text deleted* what do you mean pushing off properly?

GaryA

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
sounds like broken arches to me

Simon1992

Reaction score
thanks for the tips,

On Monday I start my new routine so I wil use this advice about running technique and let you know how I get on.

Thanks
Simon

Ty

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
i try an do that when running but after the first mile i just can't be bothered with the whole ball of your foot thing...*text deleted* what do you mean pushing off properly?

A lot of people do not push off fully with the front of the foot / toes. Many people just pick there feet up and hammer them down. It's a bad habit which is called Drop Foot. It can lead to injuries, and your feet falling asleep when running. I know, cause I had the bad habit of doing it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foot_drop

mrdanie

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
ah must be what im doing, as ive notice ive been "plopping" my left foot down which has given me pain in my left leg, where as the right leg is fine because im rolling it.
Though with foot movement i thought you only ran on the ball of your foot when sprinting and casual running was a heel to toe movement?

S

Sotiris

Hehe sorry to butt in with a totally off the point question.

What's up with the M-16's on your avatar TY? Why have they got magazines for fore-grips :biggrin:?

lewdog29

Reaction score
sounds like plantar fasciitis..google it and have a look at the symptoms to see if they all "fit" but from what you say it sounds as if thats what you got.