Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Female Royal Marine Commandos

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by Ninja_Stoker, Sep 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

The aim of this thread is to start a positive discussion on the subject of females joining the Royal Marines in the ground close combat role, an area which has previously caused heated debate.

It's appreciated there are a range of views on the political and ethical issues involved but at the same time, there was some really useful stuff which helped those young women wanting to find out more and appreciate what challenges they face. There are at least a couple of dozen females already entering into the selection process.

Therefore, deep breath...., we'll restart this thread with the aim of helping those women who aspire to join. It's not a debating thread, it is one about joining the Corps so a polite request to suggest we observe the civility normally afforded to all visitors to this site. Moderators will keep a watchful eye on this thread to try and ensure we all contribute positively, regardless of our views.

• Like Like x 12
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 2
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. ivywavexxi

ivywavexxi Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    I think this is a great idea. I am in the joining process for the RMR (as a female). Last time I spoke to my AFCO they were unaware of the number of female applicants for the RMR currently, do you know of the number?
    I am hoping to join a holding troop quite soon.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Good effort.

I think there are about a half dozen females nationally entering into the RMR selection process & think the first females will hopefully enter RMR recruit training around September. I'll see if I can find out more.

• Like Like x 1
    • Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  4. maophia

maophia Member

I'm glad that the Corps is forward leaning in its thinking and willing to accept changes in society and open the Corps up to females.
    As long as the standard of training doesn't change as this will affect the operational capabilities of the individual- male or female.
    It also shows that we aren't just a bunch of antiquated thugs, but a professional well trained unit. With the willingness to use all avaliable assets, technology and most importantly personnel to improve our capabilities.
    This will not be the first time the Corps has "rerolled" or changed its remit within the navy. Not along time ago commandos didn't exist.

And technically The first female Bootneck won't actually be the first. Our proud history shows we already had one...

While I do sit on the fence as to whether a female has the physical attributes to pass the course as it stands. I am not naive enough to believe it's incapable and that women do have the mental aptitude.
    The all arms course has been open to females for a long time and very few (possibly only 2 or 3) have passed. So while the odd are against women passing, the odds are also stacked firmly against most "normal" men. It takes great dedication and effort pass out regardless.

And good luck to anyone and everyone in every troop at CTC... especially the DS who with have navigate the political mine field.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
  5. Vacate

Vacate Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Female or Male, if you pass the training and have that beret, you're a Royal Marine Commando.

They might have to get used to getting called 'mate' though.

• Like Like x 1
  6. YellowBelly98

YellowBelly98 Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    Personally I don't have anything against women joining the RM. If I was to be successful in becoming an Officer, I'd be happy to lead women. However I would only tolerate the acceptance of women into the corps as long as they did the EXACT same tests as men. If a woman can complete 32 weeks at CTCRM and pass the commando tests then fair play.

I do think that both should live as Marines regardless of their gender though; sleeping in the same accommodation etc.

• Like Like x 1
  7. ivywavexxi

ivywavexxi Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    I don't think separate accommodation is necessarily a bad thing, if there are the numbers of females per troop for it to happen.(5 or more) the bandie girls are separated from the bandie boys during their phase 1 at CTC. It doesn't make them any less integrated or any less a Royal Marines bandsman/woman. It just depends on number. Anyway just food for thought. What's your worry with separated accommodation?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Hubb97

Hubb97 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    It's a bit different in that bandies are training to be in the band service which speaks for itself whereas regulars are training to be in combat situations with each other! I'd imagine you'd struggle getting the same troop cohesion If they were all separated. I think I read somewhere on here that they wouldn't be separated and there'd just be curtain railings around each bed?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
  9. its_meg

its_meg Active Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    Even if I think back to my years lower down the school, guys and girls being separated does create a kind of wall which I can only imagine would have a detrimental effect to troop cohesion if the same were to happen there. Different situation I know but same principle.

• Like Like x 2
  10. ivywavexxi

ivywavexxi Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview

Bandies during their phase 1 training are being trained so they are able to deploy alongside the commandos in supporting roles, I.e combat situations (they have a dual role). The separate living conditions is literally just for sleeping when on base. In the field you are all together and even during admin time on base you work together. That's why I think people maybe overthinking about how much it genuinely affects troop cohesion. However I can respect the worry.

11. UTV

UTV New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Looking for a bit of advice. I'd like to join the reserves and I have been considering the RMR, 131 Cdo or reserve officer (army). I was planning on gaining a regular commission before the offer of a PhD.
    The PhD is in a technical discipline but I'm unsure if I will realistically be able to commit to the RMR. 131 Cdo appears to offer a similar challenge to the RMR with a less demanding training period. I'm really just looking for a way to blow of some steam and a challenge which the OR route fits. Long term I expect to continue into an academic career and consider I may benefit from the officer route in the long run; I have been looking at local infantry or perhaps 131 Cdo.
    I had a brief stint at Pirbright a few yeas back but was MD'd, so I'm familiar with the military.

Fitness wise, my strength is decent, used to powerlift/play rugby and have recently moved to triathlons and OCRs. My running needs work (5K:~26min) but nothing a couple of months can't fix.

12. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

I hope that the curtains have improved. I recall a lurid orange and yellow swirly pattern—presumably inspired by a 1970s lava lamp—which could be spotted in barracks, tax offices, police stations, etc., nationwide. I can see them in my mind's eye even now. :eek:

• Like Like x 1
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  13. cc1

cc1 (former RM)

Atleast they won't get called 'Fella'...

• Like Like x 2
  14. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

The RMR demands a fair level of commitment and roughly involes one weekend a month, alternated by two weekends the following month over a period of about 14-18 months. This culminates in a two week Reserve Forces Commando Course (RFCC) and a two week live firing range package.

I'd imagine the duration and frequency of 131 Commando RE is less intense leading up to the RFCC and ranges but for definitive guidance you'd need to check with the Army Reserves.

• Seen Seen x 1
  15. R

R Well-Known Member

Hmmmm a lot of sudden new members posting all well and good to start this sort of thread, but if it goes full retard we can't pull it! It needs to stay up! Please tell me how making RM training programs "gender neutral" will improve the corp. Go! :D

• Like Like x 2
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  16. ivywavexxi

ivywavexxi Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    I think you might be in danger of trying to start a debate, which is not the intention of the thread! Are you missing the popcorn?! Gender neutral standards need not mean a lowering of standards (a common misconception). It means equal standards, no lower standard for women. Having a standard for the job.
    But standards should always be reviewed to ensure that they meet the current operational need, which might mean minor changes, to the benefit of all. For example deployment right now is aid relief/humanitarian.

• Disagree. Disagree. x 5
  17. cc1

cc1 (former RM)

We did have a debate thread, looks like it’s been deleted. My guess is someone’s getting leaned on to ‘keep the step’.

There’s no meat in the ‘standards’ debate. The standard is what the standard is; and it should be fiercely guarded, not moulded and reviewed for the benefit of the many that want to be the few.

If you want the respect of the lads: you walk the same path they did. If you do, then fair play you’ve earned your place and no one will take that from you. I guarantee you that.

This is a forum for advice; and as such this isn’t me opening debate it’s me offering you advice with the benefit of experience (and I’d question why we even need a topic for women if we’re all in it together, too).

My advice to anyone that thinks standards are fluid based on the last 5minutes of history is that they stop being such an entitled snowflake and do some research into previous operations.

• Like Like x 6
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 4
  18. R

R Well-Known Member

Meh no popcorn I just see the irony in creating a dedicated thread catering to a particular sex. When we have talked so long about everyone being the same. Anyway I need to run if I'm going to catch the bandwagon. -banghead-

• Like Like x 3
    • Seen Seen x 1
  19. Fibonarchie

Fibonarchie Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I know we're trying to avoid debate but have a look at the other thread for exactly why 'gender neutral' WILL mean lowering. This is from evidence of: changes to other units; changes to USMC; changes to emergency services and precise quotes from the powers that be. We none of us want to believe that they will be lowered but it seems highly likely.

20. JWJ

JWJ Active Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Whilst 'gender neutral' standards may not spell out lowering the standard, the fear is in x amount of time when limited number of extremely fit and robust females have passed out of (or even entered) training, that would provide 'evidence' that the standards are bias towards men and indeed not neutral (probably labelled as discrimination by the Corps) and be the excuse to drop the standards further to accomodate for the differences between men and women, avoiding a split standard.

To argue that standards should constantly be reviewed to meet 'current' operational need is very silly, but lets go with your view. Its the year 2000 - There hasnt been a real 'conflict' since N.I and the Falklands decades before and most recently the Gulf, current operational need is training international security forces, humanitarian & relief missions. Lets review our standards to match our current operational need - oh why are we bothering to train our forces to this level - its very expensive, time consuming and negatively effects recruitment and retetion.

Cue Iraq, Afghan etc..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.