Female Soldiers more robust than men, finds study

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
Source: https://www.rt.com/news/422043-female-soldiers-cope-stress/

Far from being “the weaker sex” a new study has found that female soldiers can withstand demanding exercises just as well, if not better, than men. The research found that women were better equipped to endure extreme stress.

The number of women serving in Norway’s military has continually risen since mandatory conscription for women was introduced in 2015, however surprisingly little research exists on how men and women cope with the rigors of being a soldier.

Studies have long shown that there are major individual differences in how soldiers react to the tremendous strain they endure during war and military operations. Loss of muscle mass, reduced physical performance and hormonal changes are all common reactions. Now a new study from the Norwegian Defense Research Establishment (FFI) has attempted to see how the different sexes cope with military life.

The study involved 23 male and 12 female paratroopers from the Armed Forces Special Command. They were subjected to a physically demanding week of testing after which it was found that the men shed an alarming 2.7kg of muscle mass while the women shed only fat, Norwegian broadcaster NRK reported.

“Women have better fat burning during activity. It can be an advantage during long-term exercises or operations,” FFI researcher Hilde Teien said. The women were also found to recover faster.

While the study involved a very small sample size of participants Teien said it is good news for anyone who wants more women in the armed forces: “There is very much more focus on men having greater physical capacity than women. But the difference can be reduced because women have more fat on the body. They do not start to burn muscle.”

However the study has failed to impress some skeptics. Colonel Lieutenant Harald Høiback, who previously said that having women in the armed forces weakened Norway's fighting ability, dismissed the findings. "What is the relevance of women returning (recovering) faster if they are basically at a much lower level in physical ability and capacity?” he asked.

The researchers also suggested that soldiers of both sexes need to carry more body fat to help them cope with strenuous military operations. "In today's society, it's so important to have big muscle mass and little fat on your body,” Teien explained. “For soldiers it is important to have more fat on the body. The ideal of being extremely slim and having defined muscles may not be ideal for the optimal soldier.”

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Interestingly, the UK group morbidity reports during the Herrick years revealed a lower incidence of mental health cases among Royal Marines than other services. There was also a marked difference between male & females reporting mental health issues.

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
It’s absolute *text deleted*.

It looks like a total fix of the study. Firstly why 23 men? And only 12 women?

Combat isn’t about being shredded or about losing fat.

That last statement is something we already know. And just because women have more fat to burn isn’t a viable reason.

For a start women require a higher body fat percentage. If their BFP drops too low, their periods stop.

In short, woman does study biased towards women finds results we already know, and proclaims its the answer. While ignoring other evidence.

They might be able to “lose body fat” better, but they are still 6 times more likely to acquire an ACL injury due to the hips, more prone to osteoarthritis due to the female body processing testosterone, 50% more likely to be injured in training, will struggle with the weights carried and no one will Ping the chick in the troop to carry the GPMG.

Last edited:

Bellionaire679

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
"There is very much more focus on men having greater physical capacity than women. But the difference can be reduced because women have more fat on the body. They do not start to burn muscle.”

Is this study suggesting pies over phys?

JWJ

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Seems abit odd that the report goes on about how women burn more fat than men and then state they feel having fat is vital for a 'optimal soldier' so therefore wouldn't a women just burn off this fat and no longer be a optimal soldier faster than a male would?

RM2977

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Seems like the study basically shows that people with more fat, will lose more fat over the course of training. And people with more muscle, will lose more muscle over the course of training.

Absolutely groundbreaking stuff.

Bellionaire679

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Its a shame the study isnt referenced in the article so i can have a read.

Leaves me a few questions like

What was the intensity of the exercise? ("Physically demanding" is vague, One persons maximal training session is another persons warm up)
The bodyfat % of the men and women
Whats their diet like during the exercise
What was the comparison of performance between the two genders.

This article doesnt tell me much apart from some basic stuff that isnt neciscarly gender specific. If you did the same study with muscular women vs women with a higher BF % you'll probaly get the same result.

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Seems like the study basically shows that people with more fat, will lose more fat over the course of training. And people with more muscle, will lose more muscle over the course of training.

Whoa. Why hasn’t someone discovered this before!
This is groundbreaking science. Oh
My god.

Bellionaire679

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Found the study...But its in Norwegian. (what are the chances?)

Going to translate it and have a read. I can post the translated copy too if anyone fancies a read

Chelonian

Reaction score
Going to translate it and have a read.

Be prepared.
"My name is Inga. I want to meet English men...". :)

On a serious note, an optimum amount of body fat is a good thing. The optimum is of course variable with climate and stuff like that.
I once dropped my BMI to 21·5 (can't recall the body fat percentage) when training for a sporting event and really suffered in an only moderately cold UK winter. Never again; life's too short.

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
Must be one of those single european lady's in my area that are dying to meet me.

Lads. If you know...you know ;)

My girlfriend is Slovak, Don't do it, seriously don't do it and seriously don't do it. I was given fewer orders at Lympstone than I do right now. Stay with English. Still, at least the insults are better - "don't wear that shirt it reminds me of communism!" being my favourite of hers'.

Or this being my favourite from the study

The number of women serving in Norway’s military has continually risen since mandatory conscription for women was introduced in 2015

-banghead-

Chelonian

Reaction score
Still, at least the insults are better - "don't wear that shirt it reminds me of communism!" being my favourite of hers'.

Available on eBay. :)

CCCP.jpg

I once dated a Finn girl. Ruthless is the adjective that springs to mind.

Bellionaire679

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
After a painful bout of reading a poorly translated article it says:
  • Men have higher muscle mass, strength and low body fat, especially in the upper body compared to women.
  • Women are at a higer risk of a cold weather injury like frostbite
  • Women used fat as an energy source rather than carbs an protein compared to men. This can be positive for military exercise with a longer duration. This is due to women having a higher body fat levels.
  • Women are more prone to anemia which is interesting
  • When both genders are put through the same stress and conditions they have the same relative energy consumption
  • Some discussion about hormones but thats beyond my understanding and knowledge. But they said more research is needed..
The study doesnt state anything along the lines of "women are more robust". If anything, the study goes against that statement. RT have basically just cherry picked one finding in the study (which doesnt really mean a great deal in regards to superiority of either gender in my opinion.) and made a one sided article based on that.

Chelonian

Reaction score
RT have basically just cherry picked one finding in the study (which doesnt really mean a great deal in regards to superiority of either gender in my opinion.) and made a one sided article based on that.

It's not just RT. The media generally twists science to suit its own agenda.
Typically eating apples is good for one's health on a Monday but cancerous by Friday. :confused:

Bellionaire679

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
It's not just RT. The media generally twists science to suit its own agenda.
Typically eating apples is good for one's health on a Monday but cancerous by Friday. :confused:

I never get my science from the media for that very reason. The journal article itself is actually a really good read!

R

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
My girlfriend is Slovak, Don't do it, seriously don't do it and seriously don't do it. I was given fewer orders at Lympstone than I do right now. Stay with English. Still, at least the insults are better - "don't wear that shirt it reminds me of communism!" being my favourite of hers'. Or this being my favourite from the study

-banghead-

European girls are awesome! Stop being a cuck! :D

New Threads