Finding out a relatives history in the navy.

jambo255

Reaction score
Unfortunately my grandfather passed away a couple days ago. I hadn't seen him in a while as I was travelling in Australia. He didn't have to much information about his involvement in the second world war. I was wondering if there was any way to get in contact with anyone or a site to find about his naval history. All I know is that he served in the merchant navy for the first part of his naval career then transferred to the royal navy. He served on hms assistance and served in the pacific and atlantic. Im not sure what other ships he was on. He also took part in task force 73.

So does anyone know any sites or other ways to find out more information on naval personel during world war 2?

alex18

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I'm sorry for your loss.

Make sure you look through his attic.

My mother is a nurse and she once nursed a man who, when clearing the attic after his father's death, found a DCM and documents showing his father had been Mentioned in Despatches TWICE!

This man had never known his father was such an incredible man as after WW2 his father had simply put his medals and service records in a box in the attic and left them.