first 20 minute run for a loong time

Seraphimgaz

Reaction score
so just got back from my first 20 minute run i hadnt been doing much timed stuff, just sprints etc, which didnt really help... but using "mapmyrun.com" roughly estimated i did about 2.2 miles, bit gutted as when i was running i definately thought it was further, but never the less first one down many to go...just hope my nipples dont get this sore every time (its raining here and my tshirt decided to rub alot)

Baron

Reaction score
I'm petrified of nipple chafing. Once it starts it is a vicious circle. If you have sensitive nipples, they chafe, so they become more sensitive, so they chafe more

Jbc

Royal Marines Commando -Moderator
Reaction score
Vaseline.

I don't mean a bit - like dry lips. I mean, get a huge wedge and smear it on.

It won't rip all your hairs out when you want to take it off either.

Seraphimgaz

Reaction score
*text deleted** tempted for the gaga approach though, but yeah next time its raining will be running with a bit of vas and if not that heavy ill just go topless *text deleted**

Morts

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Just reminds me of old football shirts, the badges used to cause massive grief of the left nipple.

Seraphimgaz

Reaction score
yeah thats what i was wearing...

looking forward to a run tomorrow, my mate whos a personal trainer is *text deleted**text deleted** be giving me a 'extra phys' be good to have someone willing me on

Seraphimgaz

Reaction score
so just got back from my first 3 miler... did it in 24minutes... timed each mile separately at roughly 8 minutes per mile... didnt think it was too bad... still not RM standard but improvements shouldnt take too long

Grimmey

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
8 minute mileing is in my opinion is a good starting pace. Just keep working the overall time down. At some stage you might or might not want to try speed work. Stuff like 400m intervals or hill sprints, but you should maybe just focus on getting your mileage up first.

Good luck with the running.

Seraphimgaz

Reaction score
So did some hill sprints... Really couldn't manage many before I started feeling sick... Kinda gutted really as I've had a fairly good week and its made me think I'm not as fit as I thought I was... But it will come I'm not expecting lightening fast results anyway... I should probably have renamed this as my training blog *text deleted**...

Chrisswan

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
dont get too disheartened about hill sprints they are always a killer done properly

gym beast

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
hill sprints are awful mate, it doesn't take much to make you feel sick. I do a run, then 10 push ups at the top, then back down, and *text deleted** had it at 4 reps of the hill I do.

Luke2504

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I'm exactly the same, been doing them for about 4 weeks now and I always feel sick 4 - 6 sprints in, makes the rest a struggle to get motivated for on the slow jog back.

Coincidently, I'm due to go do some sprints in a few minutes. Wish me luck. :sick:

Grimmey

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Really couldn't manage many before I started feeling sick...
That's a sign you've done it properly...

No one gets to the stage of fitness where they find hill reps easy...NO ONE

Seraphimgaz

Reaction score
Well I have to say I'm glad to hear it... O was managin a sprint up and down, 10 pressups then a sprint up and down and 10 sit ups another sprint up and down and 10 squats... Managed that 2 and a half times with a 2 minute break inbetween... Which actually suprised me how quickly I recovered... I think I need to include some fartlek into my long runs as that's where I struggle most with the recovery as I'm still running after I've exhurted myself... Ahwell, it'll come through eventually...

Grimmey

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Your doing it wrong, you sprint up and then jog down as a recovery and repeat. I don't tend to do body weight exercises with my hill reps since i usually do them later in the evening.

Try getting a mate and fireman's carrying them up the hill a few times, you and your friend will love it...:blink1:

Seraphimgaz

Reaction score
Ah right I just classed the bodyweight stuff as the recovery period... But ill do it properly next time... Thepush ups and stuff I do as I'm only managing around 35 at the moment... I'm doing the evil russian program aswell but thought 10 now and again can't hurt *text deleted**

Grimmey

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
The press ups and stuff are fine, i just do them in the evening for my own convenience.

If your using the press ups as a recovery period than your body technically isn't getting any rest in between sprints. Good for extreme conditioning and for circuits like 'Fintan Circuit". How ever not good for someone just starting out or for hills in general.

Also be careful how much you do, everyone likes a trooper but no one likes a dead one...:noworry: Take it easy when you need to.