First 3 weeks (More resant)

lord_carl

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Arrived at alcatraz at around 1500 with about 12 others who was on the same date as me, Contray to what the TV program shows not every person arrives at the same time. We was then told to move up outside D block and await Collection from our DL. He came and took our names and alos had a chat with the rejoyns IE why they are rejoyning ETC.. then it was off the long way around to the foundation block and the guys with big weely bags like me was made to carry them then we was allocted our bad space and told to un pack Get a hair cut and all that goodstuff before 1700 hours were was was to RV in the lecture room and all it was was a simple lecture on what was happening what to expect, handing in some paper work that they gave us to fill in and it was held by the WO2 RSM of our Troop then it was off to scran. The rest of the night was ours and we had to do things like buy trowser twists from the NAFFI and have the infamous Shower and shave demo then it was Into bed by 11.
The next day was pretty much the same as the 3rd we was awoken at 6 to do the ships routine and off to scran, we was then issued our RT tracksuits we was to ware all the time untill RIG was sortad out though out that day we had more lectures on all sorts of things and it was mainly paperwork admin. We then had to swere on the attastation and that is the last chance you have to get out of jail free once it is done you are there for 1 month. The 3rd day we was issued kit i think and there is LOTS and LOTS of kit to get over £2000 worth of it and take it all back to the accomodation and at the speed of the corporals you must find each bit of kit and name it which acctualy brought a sweat on *text deleted* after that and untill the next day it was preddy much sorting out wrong bits of kit changing what you needed to more admin and lectures on how to iron, polish boots, lay your kit out, life in the corps, banking, Insurance, health and welfare and everything else you would expect. Thursday was the first day in RIG and we had to were our 3 weeks LUMI tabs which pardon us for silly things like not salluting officers and so on. We was then told we will only be spending 1 week in foundation as the HQ wanted to fit another troop in before christmass and this day was also our first PT session were we was introduced to IMF (Initial military fitness) Which is mainly team games and dubble timing yall know what i mean when you do it. Firday pretty much same as thrusday but we had a sortof Trial foundation pass out inspection held by our DL2 who wasent happy because the entire toop hadent polished under there boots and shoes so 50+ pairs of boots found there way into the middle of the room and one poor sod IE Me was cought twitching when stood to attention and had to move 50+ pairs of boots and trainers into the red tiled area and someone had to move them back. This is a para mount example of why your kit has to be labled as by the end of it alot of people had differnts sized or wrong sized shoes. Then it was into drill rig and off for photo shoot more PT and then it was to sort out the admin to go ashore the next day which we did all go into exceter but not before our intoduction to the Ropes in PT. Shore leave is exactly what it says on the Tin, just make sure you look very smart. Most of sunday was preparing for moving off accomdation and we spent one more night in foundation.

Week 2 monday we had our Fitness assesment and a swim. Tuesday morning it was packing out bugan and off to the Field for EX First step. Which the training team described as a camping trip and you learn all about how to put up bivvys, field rassions and a bit on century duty Which is by no doubt the worst part as in darkness you have to pack your bugans as quick as you can then do an hour century and put them all back up again only to get 4 hours sleep before doing it all again. IT IS HONKIN is all i can say for century duty. Then the following morning we had kit inspection field style. A tip is to take scotch bight as the cooking fires leave a world of *text deleted* on your mess tins and if there not cleaned then you have to crawl into what ever space your training team decide to throw them. after that it was a 4 mile speed mach back to camp with no Kit and i must say it was brilliant a good pase early morning sun rise and through the country side. The rest of wednesday and thursday was just PT lectures and getting ready for foundation pass out on Friday and de-servicing you kit. No one realy failed foundation pass out to the point were they make us do it again, it was held by the troop commander in the blocks which was all back to front realy *text deleted*. Saturday and sunday was shore leave and pretty much mirrord the previous weeks. PT in a morning then the day is yours.

Week 3 things started to pick up, we had more and more inspections that seemed to be failing more and more of the time the accomadation had to be cleaner the pase was generaly picking up more and more and we were getting more punishments for our short comings, ill let you all decide why it happens when you do it people said it was because we knew leave was coming and others say its what the traning program is designed to do to try and brake you and make you feel like you cant get it right ill let you decide when you do it. Week 3 we got our SA80s and had alot of weapons handling drills and 2 Drill sessions which are not nice in the Cold i must tell you *text deleted* More PT which we got beasted horribly in the pool because one plank in our troop called the PTI a Pongo :shock: :shock: We payed for it dearly and also our attitude in the gym had slipped and we hadent performed as well was we was expected to for some reason people slacked off up towards leave and the troops payed for it as a whole "1 in all in". Then firday it was off on crimbo leave.

For the shortcomings and punishments lads you let them effect you if you want them to is all i can say. Some people let it get to them others dident you make the choise, it generaly depends on your mental strength. You will get homesick and it generaly dose *text deleted* with your head a bit but there are also some good laughs.

Anyhu that is my hoofing little insight to the first 3 weeks.
Any questiosn feel free to ask and i will reply as soon as i can

LC

(Back from the dead momentariy)

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
That's a great post LC,

Certainly along the lines of what I remember although we were thrown straight into the phys a bit more. With the fitness assessment on the first day. Apart from that it sounds identical.

Least you are enjoying it mate and you looked happy when I was down there.

Great stuff

GW

lord_carl

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah GW we was supposed to have the Fitness assessment on like the wednesday but there was a presentation or something or other on in the gym. I am enjoying it but there are bad times aswell, its the whole happy then sad mood down there.

LC

Plummy

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
hello mate i know when i was on my prmc i got home sick how did you deal with it? did you just crack on not tell anyone or did you all come together and help each other out?
and its nice to know that it isnt as bad as all the recruits say down there *text deleted* all i heard was " dont do it its not worth it " blah blah blah but keep going mate and good luck

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
LC- an excellent post- many thanks for taking the time to post it-looks like you're having fun mate!

Rest assured, when it comes to going back you & everyone in your troop will feel the same, but just hang on in there, you'll get back into the swing fairly quickly & self-doubts will fade once you are back into the routine.

Guaranteed one or two will want to submit their Premature Voluntary Release (PVR) when you return- just don't be one of them- they usually realise too late they made a mistake then try to re-apply & suddenly find out they have to wait many months.

EVERYONE suffers from homesickness to a greater or lesser degree, especially when it comes to going back - it confirms you are a human The good news is it gets easier.

Have a great leave, don't let the fitness drop & don't lose sight of what's at the end of it all!

lord_carl

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Plummy said:
hello mate i know when i was on my prmc i got home sick how did you deal with it? did you just crack on not tell anyone or did you all come together and help each other out?
and its nice to know that it isnt as bad as all the recruits say down there *text deleted* all i heard was " dont do it its not worth it " blah blah blah but keep going mate and good luck

Thanks Ninja, You are right as per usual *text deleted*

I found if i though about it to much it happened if you know what i mean so i tryed not to but sometimes you just cant help it. You simply "Put one foot infront of the other, smile and go on" --- Lord_Carl

C

Standalone

Reaction score
haha. Makes me laugh. Everyone worries about the phys but by far the toughest part of training is being in the field. Learn to pack your bergen in 20 seconds flat, clean your mug and mess tin in the pitch black and get used to being cold and wet. Have you done wet and dry yet?

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Hiya Standalone, welcome to the site & the Season's best to you.

Whilst not a Royal myself, I'd go along with what you say as a large amount of those leaving state the field craft aspects, not the physical demands, were the bit that they disliked the most. It always confuses me when someone wishes to re-join when they've already cited a dislike for living in the field - what makes them think it's any different second time around?

Essentially what you're saying is that if you don't like living outdoors, then join something else- a very good point.

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
Standalone said:
haha. Makes me laugh. Everyone worries about the phys but by far the toughest part of training is being in the field. Learn to pack your bergen in 20 seconds flat, clean your mug and mess tin in the pitch black and get used to being cold and wet. Have you done wet and dry yet?

Welcome to the site Standalone,

Yes mate it is a hard part of training and of course the field is certainly tough going at times, and even tougher at others, namely winter.

However, I think people here are right to be more worried about their fitness at this point, as that is what is going to decide if they are going to be aloud to join or not. The field is gradual and everyone will be taught what they need to do as they go along.

All the best

GW

Standalone

Reaction score
Hey thanks for the welcome. And I agree that blokes are right to want to get themselves as fit as poss before they go down to ctc. Fair play.

But you can't prepare for the field *text deleted*. 99% of recruits hate it. You WILL be tired(more tired than you can even imagine until you've done it), you WILL get soaking wet and cold, you WILL be miserable. Chances are you will also get ill on at least one excercise aswell, I know I did. The field is a hangout and it seperates the ones that want/need it and the ones that dont.

Put it this way, I never got back to my grot after a hard phys session-be it bottom field, load carry, speed march, gym etc-and thought "f this, I *text deleted* go home". But I thought about leaving after EVERY single excercise.

Don't want to sound like too much of a downer. Just my 2 cents. Hey, if it was easy we wouldn't have done it, or be doing it. :)

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
Spot on Standalone,

I remember the first wet and dry at around week 6-7, it was early February and around -5c, on my turn on watch, getting out my warm sleeping bag, had my wet combat bottoms round my ankles for around 5 minutes deciding on whether I had the bottle to pull them on, kicking the ice out of the bottom certainly brings home the reality of what is going on.

I must admit I thought about giving up at that point, but I was in the middle of Woodbury common at 02:00 and no-one about, the corporals where around 2 miles away in their warm pits. If there was somewhere I could have given up to, I might have, it came very very close :*text deleted*:

Looking back now I think it was quite frankly dangerous what happened that night and I think they have stopped that exercise now if it goes below a certain temperature, although the troop before us had it twice as bad as it was stormy and around -5, they had to break the ice on the water for them to go through. :eek:ops: :eek:ops:

But Welcome again Standalone and I'm sure the guys would appreciate the realities of training that you share with them. I positive that's why they come here to get a heads up on what to expect, both good and bad.

All the best

GW

ste preece

Former RM
Reaction score
Bootneck Stuff

Standalone: I admire your honesty. I also agree with your comments as I recall feeling the same lots of times during my basic training. One of the things I learn't in the Corps was that nothing lasts forever, so when any of you are feeling hacked off, just remember, at some point it WILL end.

Its all character building bread and butter stuff, that is part of the skill and mindset you need to forge your way to becoming a bootneck.

All the very best guys

Steve

daz900daz

Reaction score
if my memory serves me correctly we go straight into that exercise when we get back. Quick cover. THree days of being very wet and very cold!!! I can't wait!!! *text deleted*