First applications?

Bobby Young

Reaction score
Hi there boys,

when is the best time to apply? A year before you intend to start? or a month? I'm 17 now and im hoping to join just after my 18th next may.

It'd be good to here from any of the guys that have already applied or are in the RM.

Cheers

Rob

Press ups - 53 (1 min)
Pull ups - 7
Sit ups - ?
1.5 mile - 8 mins 30s

J

Jason_A

Maybe January next year would be an ideal time to start applying...maybe earlier. If you think you're ready, just get up and go for it! :)

Bobby Young

Reaction score
Cheers, i still feel ive got a lot to work on, especially my upper body!! But thanks mate.

rusty92

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I'd apply when you think that your up to Marine Standards, As in terms of fitness and strength, How many Sit ups and press ups can you do in two minutes and what time can you run 1.5 miles in?.. If you think your up to scratch fitness and strength then theres no holding you back in sending your application off now mate.. But if you dont feel 100% ready yet then wait a little bit theres no big rush!..

All the best & Good Luck!
Sam

Floyd

Reaction score
I'd apply when you think that your up to Marine Standards, As in terms of fitness and strength, How many Sit ups and press ups can you do in two minutes and what time can you run 1.5 miles in?.. If you think your up to scratch fitness and strength then theres no holding you back in sending your application off now mate.. But if you dont feel 100% ready yet then wait a little bit theres no big rush!..

All the best & Good Luck!
Sam

rusty i do have to say mate, looking at your signature, your a damn BEAST!
Insane stats there bud, good work :P

rusty92

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
rusty i do have to say mate, looking at your signature, your a damn BEAST!
Insane stats there bud, good work :P

:rock::rock: Cheers buddy!, Not built like a tank or anything, Im just light so this helps in Push ups etc and pull ups.. Just pretty ripped thats it but not huge arms or anything!.. Practice makes perfect buddy!..

Sam

jm745

Loafing Member
Reaction score
:rock::rock: Cheers buddy!, Not built like a tank or anything, Im just light so this helps in Push ups etc and pull ups

You see this is what I don't get,
I can do 5 pull ups,
and 17 chin ups,
but only 20 marine press ups,
and I thought I'm alright at pull ups/chin ups because I'm light,
but I'm crap at press ups,
so what's that all about?

Joe

willetts_123

Reaction score
?!

You see this is what I don't get,
I can do 5 pull ups,
and 17 chin ups,
but only 20 marine press ups,
and I thought I'm alright at pull ups/chin ups because I'm light,
but I'm crap at press ups,
so what's that all about?

Pull ups - the main muscle used for this is the back muscle which is called Latissimus Dorsi ( perhaps you should start doing some back workouts upright row, lat pull down then obviously pull ups!.... the secondary muscle used is the bicep again perhaps working on your biceps i.e bicep curls will effectively increase the amount of pull ups.

Press ups (Marine Style) - these are with *text deleted* elbows close to your sides, the main muscle used is the tricep which is the back of the arm, i found the by training weighted dips drastically improve my marine pressups.

Hope this helps

ChrisC

Reaction score
I think pull-ups are done palms facing away (overhand grip) and chin-ups are the opposite, palms facing towards you. (underhand grip)

Bobby Young

Reaction score
with the marine press up do your elbows basically brush against you body for every rep?

SHorgan

Reaction score
Ohh.. thanks guys. And yes Bobby, elbows should be in by your side.