First day in your unit?

AsdaOwn

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Can the trained ranks on here share with us what their memories are from that first day in a unit after training. What was it like? What actually happens? How did more experienced commandos treat you etc? Did training prepare you fully for it?

SCOTTY6

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
It’s a lot more boring than you think. Joining routine and collecting stamps from all the relevant people. They treat you just like any new person at new place of work. No hazing or thrashingz sprog routine might differ from unit to unit. 9 times out of 10 you will just be wets b* itch for a bit. Mouth shut ears open and volunteer for stuff and you won’t go wrong.

AsdaOwn

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
As a new lad do you have to live in a shared room or do you get single man rooms?

SCOTTY6

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
It’s usually 4-6 man grots. Get your own cabin at 43 though.

AsdaOwn

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
If you get posted to a fighting unit how long can you stay there or do you go somewhere new every few years even if it’s your first preference?

KatnissEverdeen

Reaction score
It’s usually 4-6 man grots. Get your own cabin at 43 though.
Is this gender segregated? I know more and more females are joining training, so Im hoping that soon there will be females in the corps so I am just wondering how it will work when that happens. Will they build a new block for women or will it be the same as men?

Johnny_Anonie

Reaction score
Couldn’t tell you mate. Obviously a lass is yet to pass out of training. But I would imagine they would be in the same block but just separate rooms. That’s how it works on ctc anyway.

I’ve served in mixed gender RAMC Regiments with the new style SLAM/Z type accommodation. We all shared the same block. All single rooms, en-suite with shared kitchen areas. Worked fine

KatnissEverdeen

Reaction score
Couldn’t tell you mate. Obviously a lass is yet to pass out of training. But I would imagine they would be in the same block but just separate rooms. That’s how it works on ctc anyway.
Thanks for the heads up. Also I was watching commando school and you had to be naked while in a foundation block. I don't want to sound self conscious but that would be a bit unusual to stand but naked in a room full of lads. And also they where taught how to shower by a naked bloke and I was wondering weather we would have to do that as well or if there would be someone specifically to teach the females.

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I was flapping hard on my first day as I had to run around getting everything sorted before a 2 week CBRN exercise. Baring in the mind the last time I had touched my rezzie was Phase 1, it was a steep learning curve!

thenodfather

Reaction score
This is a funny one by Mark Time, Going all the Way. Worth a read for anyone wondering. Sometimes his stories are questionable but mostly feel genuine.

On entering Norton Manor Camp, I thought I'd
gone back to the 1950's. The main gate sentry dressed in full lovat uniform stood smartly in front of creosote smelling wooden huts: the guardroom designed by Churchill's dad.

Accompanied by Jay, a fellow Kings Squaddie with whom I'd passed out at Lympstone, the Guard Commander warmly greeted
us, checking our paperwork to confirm we weren't lost and trying to find the local youth club.

A marine walked towards us, his green beret in his overly-ironed green denim's pocket. From within the confines of the guardroom out strode a brute of a man with an even louder voice. In his hand he held a thin cane tipped with a nickel thimble cap signifying him as the Provost Sergeant.
Thankfully, his booming words weren't directed at us. “Oi lofty, where's your beret?”
“It's here in my pocket, Colours.” The lad, although clearly a commando, didn't look much older than me.
"Why is it not on your head?”
“I got a no headdress chit, Colours. I got my head cut open playing rugby.”
“Ah right, hold on there then.”

The Provost Sergeant returned after a short trip back inside the guardroom. “Let me have a look at your chit.”
The young marine took out from his pocket a
small piece of paper written by the camp's Medical Officer excusing the wearing of headdress. The Provost Sergeant examined it carefully. “OK. Come here.”
The young marine closed in on the Provost Sergeant who, in one swift movement that belied his size, reached into his pocket, pushed the chit to just below the young man's hairline and stapled it to the marine's forehead.
“OK, you can wear your chit instead. Now, what do you want?”
Jay and I exchanged glances. Was this how life in a unit was to be? We'd heard life was pretty relaxed, the fruit we could now eat after the labours of our training. The Guard Commander smiled, pointing us in the direction of the transit accommodation.

“Welcome to 40”.

Bootra

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Anyone actually going to talk about their first day in their unit? It’s like every thread at the moment is on speed and I have no idea what direction it’s going to take!
My first day I turned up to be told by an amused guard commander that I was meant to be on a long weekend leave, and to come back the following day. Drove back to my parents an hour and a half away and did some phys!

Rob20

Royal Marines Commando Moderator
Reaction score
As @Bootra has touched on, back to original question then...

My first day like most was spent moving into temp accom and running round completing my joining routine. However my first day actually integrated with my troop involved a post deployment company piss up, including joiners/leavers ha. Thrown into the deep end slightly. The next day was abit rough but a great way to meet the lads and break the ice early doors. Some lads wait months for an opportunity to have their joining drinks. Im glad mine came early, was great to be "one of the boys"

SCOTTY6

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Il jump in on that. My joining run (which wasn’t a joining run because they don’t happen anymore) involved me and the other new lad having to stand up infront of half the squadron during pre drinks before a run ashore and give a full set of pussers orders for the night ahead. There was also some death wets involved but it was all good fun.

AsdaOwn

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
With the first day thing. How long on average are you the new kid. I mean with CTC filled to the gills I’m sure there are pass outs what, every few weeks? Surely new marines arrive every couple of weeks?

AsdaOwn

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Also I take it that it is common that you arrive with a group of your intake? I take it’s rare you are the only new guy in a troop?

SCOTTY6

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Every 2-4 weeks a new troop comes in.

Oh yes I remember that absolute goblin of a human. Funnily enough he didn’t pass out...

Rob20

Reaction score
With the first day thing. How long on average are you the new kid. I mean with CTC filled to the gills I’m sure there are pass outs what, every few weeks? Surely new marines arrive every couple of weeks?

You'll still be "new" for a while but yer I think it was only a month before fresh lads rocked up at my first troop.

Also then bear in mind, if you join a small spec you could then again be the new lads, and if the next course isnt for another year, you'll be the new lad for a year ha.

Not that its anything bad at all. Its all over hyped to be honest. It might just be making wets or getting the wagons from MT. If you're a good lad you'll be left alone pretty soon

Rob20

Reaction score
Also I take it that it is common that you arrive with a group of your intake? I take it’s rare you are the only new guy in a troop?

I joined my troop with 1 other. Sometimes there are a few, sometimes just one lad. All varies