First steps....towards officerhood!

Babybell

Reaction score
Today I ventured into the AFCO and began the application process. Have to say the DVD I was given was certainly....intresting.

In any case, I have been recommended to at least give the officer route a go as I have enough educational requirments. This is a slight change of plan as originaly I was looking at starting off as a rating and working my way up the scenic route. I suppose there is no harm in trying (to the best of my ability of course:biggrin:) and really my main objective is becoming a RM.

If anyone missed a previous post of mine, the reasons for me leaning towards being a rating was because I only have the educational requirments. I have not been a member of any clubs and dont really have any recent, ie within the last 5 years, examples of showing leadership skills, or responsability. My hobby section on the form looks alittle empty and not very exciting to boot.

I know this is really going to hurt me come the initial interview and AIB (if I get that far:dontaskme: ) Whilst I know they say you should always aim high, I think this disadvantage will mean I will have to work twice as hard to prove myself.

Oh well lets see how far I can take myself.

First challange, the Phycometric test!

Edit: First failure - Spelling :embarrest:

S

Sotiris

I wouldn't worry about it...that much. How much time do you have left? If you can e-mail someone here http://www.britmilfit.com/ and ask if they can offer/help you out. They've been absolutely brilliant with me and if you have time to get familiar they may let you step in to briefly lead a session or two. At the end of the day if you join up you'll be fit as a fiddle.

In addition, although you may have not had the opportunity to exercise any leadership in the past, at your POC and AIB you'll have a chance to demonstrate what you're capable of. Who knows, maybe you have a natural tendancy to boss people around hehe.

Even try something as simple as taking your mates out for a run and some circuits. Hehe I've strained my relationship with a few of my peers when they found that climbing the stairs the next day to be a challenge.

If you've got time there's always a few little things you can do to help deepen your repetiore of experience.

Go for it :bud:!

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Sotiris: i know i could check this myself but as i want to ask you about them anyway; are they any good? how much do they cost and is it worth the money over, say, gym membership that offers CV classes?

S

Sotiris

Well I'm not going to preach my honesty. All I'm going to ask of you is please please please please please join up!!

I pay 35 a month. There is a session every day except Sunday (unless you're in London) at either 06:00 (Tuesday/Friday in Cardiff) or 18:30. and you can go to any single one. All you have to do is give you name which they tick off.

If you're not convinced go to a free trial. Once again all you have to do is turn up, it is what is says on the tin..totally free for the first trial.

The instructors are all ex-military..the first one I had had just finished 18 years in the Para's. Everyday there are different instructors so the routine is always different.

What I've done is introduced myself to every instructor and told them what I'm trying to achieve with the Marines. So they all know me and they all give me what they call "special treatment" in other words...they beast the hell out of me. And they can feel more inclined to exert military discipline on me more then the others.

They're brilliant. Most of them work with military prep schools so they really know what they're doing.

They all most do personal training as well. My personal trainer has trained around 50 Marine applicants, he said 35 have passed out.

Once a month there's a test...hehe you'll like this:

https://www.britmilfit.com/fitness_assessments.aspx

See any similarities??

It's the most valuable training I've had since the Greek army. You wont get closer to military training as a civilian.

They also offer you amazing opportunities. In my case, I'm climbing Mount Kinabalu in Borneo with them. One of the highest peaks in South East Asia. It's a 9 day race through the jungle where you live off the land and they teach you jungle survival. Does it get any more exciting?!!

When I told my AFCO about it he got really excited. Said it exactly the kind of thing I need to be doing to help myself for YO selection.

Join up :bud: :bud: :bud: :bud:!!

Touchstone

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Well I'm not going to preach my honesty. All I'm going to ask of you is please please please please please join up!!

I pay 35 a month. There is a session every day except Sunday (unless you're in London) at either 06:00 (Tuesday/Friday in Cardiff) or 18:30. and you can go to any single one. All you have to do is give you name which they tick off.

If you're not convinced go to a free trial. Once again all you have to do is turn up, it is what is says on the tin..totally free for the first trial.

The instructors are all ex-military..the first one I had had just finished 18 years in the Para's. Everyday there are different instructors so the routine is always different.

What I've done is introduced myself to every instructor and told them what I'm trying to achieve with the Marines. So they all know me and they all give me what they call "special treatment" in other words...they beast the hell out of me. And they can feel more inclined to exert military discipline on me more then the others.

They're brilliant. Most of them work with military prep schools so they really know what they're doing.

They all most do personal training as well. My personal trainer has trained around 50 Marine applicants, he said 35 have passed out.

Once a month there's a test...hehe you'll like this:

https://www.britmilfit.com/fitness_assessments.aspx

See any similarities??

It's the most valuable training I've had since the Greek army. You wont get closer to military training as a civilian.

They also offer you amazing opportunities. In my case, I'm climbing Mount Kinabalu in Borneo with them. One of the highest peaks in South East Asia. It's a 9 day race through the jungle where you live off the land and they teach you jungle survival. Does it get any more exciting?!!

When I told my AFCO about it he got really excited. Said it exactly the kind of thing I need to be doing to help myself for YO selection.

Join up :bud: :bud: :bud: :bud:!!
Holy hell I've never even of heard of this before! I was not aware of this. Will have to look into, could be useful.

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
cheers mate, signed up, just *text deleted* wait for this bl*text deleted*dy ingrown toenail to heal up. looks cracking especially the fitness tests. given the delay in applications going on *text deleted* this is perfect for me. had heard of it before but forgot about it.

S

Sotiris

In growing toenails...I've had my fair share of trouble with them. Hehe I know this may sound OTT but check with a podiatrist to see if you're flat footed. The two are closely related. In that case he'll fit you with an orthotic. If you enter training without any support you're far more prone to serious injury and like my podiatrsit said, with the stress that we'll have to endure it's a certanty.

Like I said, OTT but you need to give yourself every bit of help possible.

Just out of curiosity, if all goes well, when are you set to start YO training? I'm looking at Sept 09, would be good to know who else is on the same boat.

Babybell

Reaction score
It will be an 09 entry for me if lady luck decideds to grace me with her pressence.

I saw those lot you recommend at Hyde Park one time Sotiris. Thought there was an event of some descrption on! Sadly I have neither the funds to take part, nor will I be in an area where they opperate as Im heading back home next month.

There are some good suggestions there, but I think if I get to the POC/AIB stages Im just going to have to relay on a good proformance.

How do they acctually choses who is succesful or not? I mean I am sure I read that you can pass, but still not end up on YO training as there where x number of people who scored better than you?

Ben.W

Reaction score
BabyBell I'm in exactly, exactly the same situation as you :) Will have the necessary qualifications but unsure if i have the leadership skills and don't have anything to show as an example :( *text deleted* give it a go and aim for '09 entry can say i tried at least then :)

James Lavell

Reaction score
I think the guys at the AIB will know what they are looking for even without proof of leadership qualities, i think its one of those things you either inately have or dont.
Good luck to everyone,

Im going for the 09 intake hopefully