Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Fitness for a 15 year old

Discussion in 'Training Methods and Diet Suggestions' started by Henny, Jul 14, 2019.

1. Henny

Henny New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I am 15 and aminterested in applying for a scholarship to join the Royal Marines as an officer. I'm not sure if this is asking a lot, but I was wondering if anyone with fitness knowledge could put together a day to day fitness 'timetable' for me as I am clueless when it comes to efficiently improving my fitness. I would like it to fit around my school timetable. Nothing to intense but not a once a week type of thing.
    Thanks a lot :)

2. Henny

Henny New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I'm not sure if this will help anyone, but I run a 12 minute mile and can do around 20 press ups. My sit ups vary. Thanks a lot.

3. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

The general advice to fifteen-year-old candidates is that they should focus on basic sports and sound nutrition. This doesn't sound exciting but it is a fact that at age fifteen we are (or was in my ancient case, obvs) still developing.

The temptation for many is to hit the gym and max out on upper body strength neglecting the 'boring' running stuff.

There are others on here better qualified than I to offer advice about phys and hopefully they will chip in with their suggestions. But a good start at this stage would be to learn how to belt out correct form Royal Marines press ups. Resources are available on YouTube. The 'correct form' is vital here. Many people only think they can do press ups. Learn the discipline of doing them correctly. Your numbers might drop initially but you will definitely benefit in the long term.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2
    • Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  4. Henny

Henny New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I totally agree. I did play football for 2 years and was pretty good. I joined the Royal Marines Cadets and couldn't maintain both as well as school, so I dropped football and continue with cadets. The only reason for wanting to do more physical exercise is that over exam season I put on a lot of weight and didn't exercise much. Now that it's summer, I want to focus more on my health and fitness as I want to take my career choice seriously. But don't worry, I balance PT and social life very well!

5. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

If there’s anything physical you actually enjoy. Do that. Boxing, football any team sport? I’d stay well away from specific training for the Royal Marines. As by the time your ready to apply you’ll be bored stiff of running and press-ups. Focus on activities you enjoy, and about 3 months before your prmc train specifically. Until then enjoy yourself, and give yourself a good base.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2
  6. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Moderator

I know what physical activity I enjoyed at 15...

I only had strength in one wrist though.

• Hoofin Hoofin x 5
  7. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

An observation: someone training for PRMC or POC should be aiming to peak the required fitness requirement to coincide with the event.

As stated before I'm not qualified to give phys advice but here's a suggestion: take advantage of summer weather and perhaps get some running miles in. Start it now and you'll feel (a bit) better about doing it before college on a cold, wet December morning.
    Weight management is a complex issue for someone (male or female) aged fifteen and beyond my pay grade. Apply sound nutrition principles and consider calorie intake against calorie expenditure. Most importantly, enjoy what you're doing. The foundations you lay down now will benefit you in a couple of years when most of your contemporaries are gasping at the thought of running up a staircase.

@arny01 is the forum's phys guru. Sound advice as ever.

8. Henny

Henny New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Thank you :)

9. codycaesar

codycaesar New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    If I was you just practice the rmfa and bft a few times a week and do sports in school