Fitness for Paras

HGH77

Reaction score
Hey guys, just a quick one. I’m fairly fit already due to playing a lot of football however I am not anywhere near the standard needed to pass PRAC and was wondering if anyone has any idea of how I should be going about my training, any specific runs I should be doing or even a plan to follow (I am aware there are many for the marines like Arnys however never seen one specific to paras). Any response would be greatly appreciated.

D

Deleted member 20902

Hey guys, just a quick one. I’m fairly fit already due to playing a lot of football however I am not anywhere near the standard needed to pass PRAC and was wondering if anyone has any idea of how I should be going about my training, any specific runs I should be doing or even a plan to follow (I am aware there are many for the marines like Arnys however never seen one specific to paras). Any response would be greatly appreciated.
Yeah why isn’t there a training programme for the Paras on a Royal Marine Forum -banghead-

Only joking mate but Arnys programme is relevant for most arduous training courses really.

1andonly

Reaction score
I believe PRAC is a 4mile squadded run, a familiarisation run, steeplechase (2.2miles) and 2k best effort (sub 8mins) so mainly train for running. They don't test press ups,pull ups sit ups anymore however its probably a good idea to get used to them because if you pass PRAC recruit training will test these.

Johnny_Anonie

Reaction score
As I understand it the main events of the PRAC consists of the new style Role fitness test which is :
2 km run - 8 minutes 15 seconds
76kg mid thigh pull - Standing in front of a bar set to mid-thigh height, you'll be asked to pull the bar upwards for 5 seconds, then rest and repeat. Your best score of the two attempts will count.
medicine ball throw - Sitting with your back against a wall, you'll throw a 4kg medicine ball as far as you can. Your best throw of three will count. You must throw the ball at least 3.1m

You will also complete -

The Steeplechase - 18 minutes.

4 mile familiarisation run with PARA training coy instructors. - Rolling country back area of ITC Catterick.

In addition to the physical assessments you will also learn about the CIC (PARA), learn about the Parachute Regimental history, learn about personal admin, have an intro to an inspection standards/block jobs.

HGH77

Reaction score
That’s great guys really appreciate these responses. Arnys plan should cover all those events then with some tweaks here and there to make it a bit more specific.

Johnny_Anonie

Reaction score
@Wings may be able to assist when he logs back in, I understand he is away at the moment.

Also- have a look at the thread “Your last workout” found here. There are some fantastic phys sessions posted there. Remember to keep your training progressive and bare in mind the key is to arrive injury free!

HGH77

Reaction score
Yes I’ve had a look on there and there’s some sessions that look great and a lot of inspiration for future sessions for sure. Might have to dumb a few of them down for now though I’m not a machine like some of the lads on here seem to be haha

Johnny_Anonie

Reaction score
This thread may also be useful.

New Threads