Fitness Help!

Discussion in 'Training Methods and Diet Suggestions' started by arny01, Oct 15, 2017.

1. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

Ok!! I'm at the point where I am taking so many PM's asking for phys help, that I cannot physically keep up. Some people are asking me to send over the PRMC training programme, others are asking for dietary advice, PJFT advice. I seem to be going around in circles answering the same questions on an individual basis. So I'm making the decision to only answer fitness based questions on this thread, if I get a PM asking for advice then I will bump this thread, and when you read this message, post your question here, so that all can benefit!

Could I also request that any MOD's delete any non relevant posts, to keep the thread on track?

To start things off, I'll repost a copy of the PRMC plan.

• Like Like x 2
  2. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

Mon Am. 2 x BFT. Mon Pm. APFA

Tue Am. 8 mile under 1 hour. Tue Pm Gym

Wed Am. Rest.

Thurs Am. Hill sprints. Thurs pm. Swim

Fri Am. 5 mile at 8 min/mile. Fri Pm. Gym.

Sat. Rest

Sun Am. 8 mile under 1 hour. Sun Pm. Gym.

Ok I'll explain the programme in detail for you to work it to suit you. Monday's, 2 x BFT will improve your speed, strength and V02 max for the 1.5 sprint and bleep test. The APFA in the evening is a single beep test, 1 set of press-up,sit-up,and pull ups. It is a test, and replicates the Wednesday of PRMC to the letter, focus on your form, for the exercises lads ok. Record you results lads, on the both 1.5m sprints, write them down so you can see your improvements.

8 mile best effort, speaks got itself really, my lad used an app called endomondo, plugged his headphones in. And the app would tell him how quick, he was running each mile.

Gym session. Get yourself a 10 kg weighted vest. Warm up 2000m in under 10 mins on a rower. Then do. To failure

3 x sets of weighted vest press-up
    3 x sets of weighted vest sit up
    3 x sets of weighted vest pull up.

3 x sets body weight press up
    3 x sets body weight sit up
    3 x sets body weight pull up

3 x sets of assisted press up
    3 x sets of half sits
    3 x sets of pull up

Then finish with, 10 min AMRAP of
    10 squats
    10 lunge
    10 box jumps to 24"box.

Hill sprint day is a massive hang out lads.

Warm up. 10 mins at 8 min/mile

20 x 100-150m hill sprints. Walk down. Make fire the hill is steep as *text deleted*text deleted*text deleted* lads, do them in sets of 5, but on the second and third set, to do 10 squat, 10 lunge after each hill sprint. Walk round for 5 mins at the end, then run 3 miles as fast as you can using endomondo. Aim for 7:30 min/mile. You leg strength and muscle endurance, will sky rocket, helping you for bottom feild/endurance course.

Swim 100m x 8 sets. Rest 2 mins after each 100m effort

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
  3. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

4. JWJ

JWJ Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    For the last week or so before a PJFT, what level of activity should be done to maintain the fitness standard whilst avoiding injury/burn out before the big day?

Cheers for all the help Arny

5. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

Day 1 mock PJFT.

Day 2 rest.

Day 3. 5 Mile best effort.

Day 4 rest.

Day 5. Mock PJFT.

Day 6. Mock PJFT.

Day 7 and 8. Rest.

Day 9. PJFT

Eat a small breakfast, porridge, 30 mins before have a banana. And make sure your well hydrated at least 3 litres of water per day for 72 hours before the PJFT!!

• Like Like x 2
  6. Cuzza22297

Cuzza22297 Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    Is training 2 sessions a day 5 days a week for 3 months too much in the run up to a prmc/poc? or is that ok provided I listen to my body.

Will probably have the odd deload week every now and again such as in the run up to pjft (following the plan above).

• Like Like x 1
  7. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

No its not, if you construct your training smart. Follow a high intense session with an endurance session like a slow long distance run or a swim? If you look at the training programme I done the 8 miler is to be under 1 hour! As you get fitter and fitter that will become quite comfortable. 3 months is what I had in mind for the programme at full volume!! However a deload week every 4 weeks could be very helpful to those that need it.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Cuzza22297

Cuzza22297 Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    That’s just what a wanted to hear, cheers!

Thinking of going 2 weeks at 1/2, 2 weeks at 3/4 then smashing full volume until my POC .

• Like Like x 1
  9. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

Cracking idea!! Dont be afraid to prolong things as you see fit!! If you need to be at 1/2 volume for an extra week. Then do that!! Just build in a controlled and gradual way, and you will be fine.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Cuzza22297

Cuzza22297 Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    Brilliant, thanks for your help arny!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Cuzza22297

Cuzza22297 Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    Sorry, a couple more questions then I’ll leave you alone :D

When doing the programme at different volumes, do I keep the gym sessions at full volume?

Also, I live in a very hilly area. Is this even better or do I need to be careful of burning out my legs if I’m running hills every time I step out the door, on top of the hill sprints (3 mile run after that session will have over 600ft climbs)

12. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

Yes max effort on press-ups etc.

Try and make your long distance runs with maybe a few small hills, but nothing too serious. Hill sprints however steep as possible but you should be able to sprint up it, if that makes sense?

• Like Like x 1
  13. Cuzza22297

Cuzza22297 Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    Living in Bath, big hills on my long runs are pretty unavoidable until I'm back at uni unfortunately.

14. Cuzza22297

Cuzza22297 Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    Weighted vest arrived today looking forward to my first session tomorrow!

Just another quick question, do I keep the weighted vest on for the AMRAP leg workout at the end of the gym session?

• Like Like x 1
  15. cc1

cc1 RAF Commando Officer (former RM)

Try it. If you die; that's a good indicator not to!

• Hoofin Hoofin x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  16. RMCSF

RMCSF Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    I didn't for my sessions as if you have a short rest between all your sets (45seconds) you'll be pretty gassed as well as if you have done a run that day also

• Like Like x 2
  17. Cuzza22297

Cuzza22297 Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    Cheers lads

@RMCSF How many rounds were you getting through normally in the 10 mins? So you rested for 45 secs after each time you finished the box jumps?

18. RMCSF

RMCSF Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    No am rap is continuous I got 8-10 sets 45 second rest between your press ups etc

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  19. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

No.

• Like Like x 1
  20. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

Yes the aim is to do As many rounds as possible in 10 mins, if you don't need rest, then don't take it. If you do need it tho. Take it. I use gambling chips to count my rounds when doing AMRAP workouts. Otherwise I loose count because I'm in such a mess.

• Like Like x 2