Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Fitness Help!

Discussion in 'Training Methods and Diet Suggestions' started by arny01, Oct 15, 2017.

1. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Armyboy19

Armyboy19 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    @arny01 How would you go about adapting this program to someone's current fitness level? Is it a case of simply reducing sets, reps & mileage then building up to it or is there more to it?

• Like Like x 1
  3. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

The beauty of the program is that it’s your individual best effort! So really it’s just about you pushing your own limits. It is quite a lot of volume on the running side of things for a beginner however. So if your new just go from half volume or lower to suit your own level!

• Like Like x 2
  4. R0qu3

R0qu3 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    @arny01 How do you work out how many reps to do each set in the gym? Is it a percentage of your max or is it just to failure?

5. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

It’s to failure.

• Like Like x 1
  6. R0qu3

R0qu3 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    Awesome, thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Dickie

Dickie Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Hey @arny01 ,

IIRC you did this for your bairn for his PRMC. Do you remember how his stats improved?

Or has anyone else used this for x period and recorded gains?

cheers

Dickie

8. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

He improved every week, across all elements specific to PRMC. I believe he achieved an A grade PRMC pass? But not too sure. He came first in the BFT, and did extremely well in the gym tests. He found Thursday difficult, but due to his performance on Wednesday, it gave him the confidence to do well on Thursday. His PRMC involved the hare and hounds and run back to camp, which I believe may have been removed?

• Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  9. Dickie

Dickie Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Fast little $&%*$% to come first! Nice one!

The run back has been scrapped I think not too sure about the hair and hounds!

10. J1878

J1878 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    @arny01 been following this plan for a few months now and the results have been fantastic!

Just having an issue with my back that’s doing my head in. Any time I do maximum sit ups to the bleep on a Monday, I pull my back on a run the next day. I run up and down hills and don’t stretch my back so I’m aware it’s a fault of my own. Should I be stretching before and after sit ups? Any advice is appreciated, thanks.

11. StrSam

StrSam Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    I always find that foam rolling my back after sit ups helps a lot. I do sometimes get back pain after sit ups but the more you do them, the less pain you get

12. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Just an observation as I'm not qualified to give therapy advice:

Anyone with an arduous and frequent phys regime, particularly running, should consider the medius gluteus muscle. Although this is located in the hip/butt/upper leg region it can be the cause of lower back pain and become inflamed by 'overtraining' according to my physio.

A foam roller targets the muscle group nicely. But as stated, I'm throwing this out as an observation based on my own experience and not as a diagnosis.

13. ConnorManc

ConnorManc New Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    Hi mate, sounds daft but are you using correct form when you're running? Leaning too far forward when you're on the move (especially uphills as you mentioned) can stretch the erector spinae and its attaching tendons- which are responsible for holding you upright- causing back strain and eventually injury. Pure posture, when running, walking or anything else is almost always the cause for pain/ injuries.

As for stretching, you should never stretch before any workout mate, takes away the elasticity of your muscles and removes some of the power potential from them meaning you're just losing performance. Try warming up for longer beforehand, and warming up specifically your lower back with dynamic movement. With your back for example, do some deadlifts with no weight, keeping your back straight and touching your right foot with left hand, left foot with right ect. or walk out press ups.

You should definitely be stretching afterwards though mate you'll improve your scores with that alone!

Hope this helps, feel free to shoot me a message.

14. J1878

J1878 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Firstly thanks for the detailed response, appreciate that mate.

It’s funny you say that because it seems to be the day after a BFT where thinking about it I’m obviously leaning forward going for the best time I can get, so I’ll take that on board and keep it in mind next time!

I do static and dynamic stretches before workouts so you reckon just stick to dynamic and a proper warm up? Then obviously stretch out properly afterwards.

Cheers for the advice bud and good luck with your application too.

15. ConnorManc

ConnorManc New Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    No worries pal, had nothing but help on here every time I've asked for it so only fair to share.

I get it from a lot of my clients, and it's usually the leaning or your job that does it- but being aware of posture when I run has helped me massively! Obviously if you're digging in then there's *text deleted* be some leaning, but the more you acknowledge it the better your running will be mechanically.

Definitely mate, don't over do it of course because you don't want to be knackered before you start, but a solid warm up should help to keep any injuries at bay and will just add to the sessions.

Nice one mate you too, you got a date for PRMC?

16. AngryArgie

AngryArgie Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    How far are you in your app process mate, have you got a PJFT booked in yet? And I see you’re a PT so I’m expecting you to be an absolute phys ninja haha

17. ConnorManc

ConnorManc New Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    No PJFT yet mate- got my interview Wednesday and my medical Thursday so fingers and toes crossed my medicals alright as I'm TMU currently.. then should be on for it some time next month hopefully.

Haha! I like to think so pal but I'm sure the PTI's will prove me wrong :D I'm expecting an A grade though- as everyone joining should be haha

18. AngryArgie

AngryArgie Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    I’m right behind you then mate, got my interview Thursday so we might be on the same PRMC if your medical goes to plan.

Aye haha I’m sure the PTI’s down at Lympstone are more machine than human :D I assume you’re high scores at the moment, what have you been hitting in your PJFT mocks

19. ConnorManc

ConnorManc New Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    Ahh sweet, hopefully see you there then mate. How did you find the new psychometric tests?

They're tanks mate, they make me look like a little girl hahaha. I've not done a bleep test in a good while, but I did the rest today:

1.5 mile return: 08:52
    Press ups: 60
    Sit ups: 72
    Pull ups: 12

Hoping to get them up to max by the time the PRMC comes round but I've been trying to hammer my legs, everything I've read on here about PRMC is don't skip leg day :D

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  20. J1878

J1878 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT

Appreciate it mate, fair play.

Yes 9th July, so three weeks tomorrow. More motivated than ever now.

It can be a lengthy process but if you are unlucky enough to suffer any delays just see it as time to increase your scores, I’m actually happy mine had a slight delay because I feel more ready now. I train with the mentality that there’s always going to be someone fitter and stronger, so can never be fit enough!