Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

Fitness levels at application

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by A350-800, Jan 25, 2020.

1. A350-800

A350-800 Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Hello everyone,

Please can I ask for some advice, I have just submitted my application and just had a few questions :)
    I am a little concerned because last June I tore my hamstring whilst sprinting, I have been building up longer distance miles recently and working hard in the gym on circuits and weights. However, I haven't actually done any fast running or sprinting since that incident, I have managed to get up to 20kmph on the treadmill and hold that speed for a few hundred metres but I haven't actually tried any hill sprints or high speed flat sprints due to anxiety about reinjury. It sounds a bit pathetic but I have lost confidence running quickly.
    Currently I am outside running 5ks in about 20 mins and yesterday I did a hilly 7km run in about 29 minutes, I was just wondering if I am better off leaving the sprinting till later on in the application process such as after I have passed PJFT,
    Also, I was wondering how important flat ground straight line high speed sprinting actually is for training for the marines, I am hoping to start hill sprints soon but with hill sprints your not really going maximum speed due to the climb and the injury risk seems lower
    Thanks guys :)

2. Griff149

Griff149 Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Hi mate, *text deleted* if you are able to do the runs you have mentioned in those times with no pain at all, that would suggest to me that the strength in your hamstring is back. I’m a PT and many of the people I see who have had injuries are often more held back by the mental side of recovery as opposed to physical (I.e worrying about the injury reoccurring). My advice would be to get to the gym and do some low level strength work on the muscle and see what it feels like the next day. If it aches no more than you’d expect after a normal gym session that would tell me that the muscle has healed well. As with everything, progressively work your way back up with intensity to not over do it, but don’t let your mind hold you back either.

• Like Like x 1
  3. A350-800

A350-800 Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Thankyou very much for your reply mate, Its really helpful and I appreciate it. I have been able to do box jumps, weighted lunges, step ups with weights and nordic curls and they all seem to be fine, which is good