Fitness plan help

tra_HMRM

Reaction score
Hello i'm 17 and is hoping to join the royal marines at the age of 20, and i currently have a training plan but i'm unsure if it will help me in joining the royal marines and i would like some suggestions on what else to do, as its getting too hot for running in the afternoon as i only go running in the morning and the home exercises (Push ups, Squats e.ct) on Monday,Tuesday and Wednesday are boring and i personally don't think that they are much use for helping me join the royal marines.

Id like some advice on what else to do or to keep on what i'm doing or weather to change the training plan completely. Id like suggestions on things to do that are intense and things that will help me in getting my fitness levels up and be able to join the marines

I currently go Kayaking with my dad around once every week or two weeks covering around 3 miles. (The reason why i go kayaking not that often is because my dad is in the Police and has little days off)

(at the moment i have not been swimming but will very soon as i have a local lake that i'm able to open swim in)

Cheers!! :)
The training plan is the attached document!

Attachments

Kilo_Corleone

Reaction score
Hi mate, I think the general consensus is if you’re young and have a few years till you want to join, is make it fun & interesting so you can keep it consistent and build up your all round fitness. Have you thought about a team sport?

If you’re dead set on this plan I think it would be better to only do 1 run in a single day at this point and not do them all on consecutive days - just to prevent any injuries

Chelonian

Reaction score
...and i currently have a training plan but i'm unsure if it will help me in joining the royal marines and i would like some suggestions on what else to do,
Welcome. If you haven't yet seen it Arny's Plan is a proven winner for those training for PRMC. Even for someone without a firm PRMC date (due to COVID-19, etc.) the plan is a good template to work on and adapt as required.

https://www.royalmarines.uk/threads/fitness-help.104425/#post-623515

(at the moment i have not been swimming but will very soon as i have a local lake that i'm able to open swim in)
I'm an old fart so I'll suggest caution about being aware of the risks associated with open water swimming.
Best of luck. Let us know how you get on.

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Hello i'm 17 and is hoping to join the royal marines at the age of 20, and i currently have a training plan but i'm unsure if it will help me in joining the royal marines and i would like some suggestions on what else to do, as its getting too hot for running in the afternoon as i only go running in the morning and the home exercises (Push ups, Squats e.ct) on Monday,Tuesday and Wednesday are boring and i personally don't think that they are much use for helping me join the royal marines.

Id like some advice on what else to do or to keep on what i'm doing or weather to change the training plan completely. Id like suggestions on things to do that are intense and things that will help me in getting my fitness levels up and be able to join the marines

I currently go Kayaking with my dad around once every week or two weeks covering around 3 miles. (The reason why i go kayaking not that often is because my dad is in the Police and has little days off)

Hello welcome!

You have a 3 year plan so you have plenty of time!
I wouldn’t just not run in the afternoon because it’s getting to hot , wether it’s rain , snow , ice , heat. what you’re aspiring to join will involve working out in all kinds of weather so you *text deleted* get used to that sort of situation and not just working out when it’s comfortable for you if that makes sense?

Doing press-ups and squats are boring and you don’t think it’s for the marines? I’m not quite sure if your trying to have a windup here? *text deleted*
Press-ups will be second nature to you and other than running will probably be the most frequent exercise you will do.

Just looked at your routine you do 1.5mile at 8am? Then 4mile again at 3 or 6pm? And you do swimming a fair bit also so you have a lot of cardio which is good.
Have you just made this workout or have you been doing it for a while?

You need to prioritise press/sit/pull-ups and of course running.
These are the bodyweight exercises your tested on to the beep which is on youtube (prmc audio) if you haven’t seen it before maybe try these exercises to correct form to the beep and see how you do!?

60 press-ups
85 sit-ups
3 pull-ups (minimum)

Have you ever tried fintan workout before you might enjoy this as it’s everything in one workout.
I got my fintan workout from here it goes like this.

Put 2 cones 30metres apart
You do 10 exercises total
After each exercise you sprint to the cone and back so example.

1. 15x press-ups
2. 15x sit-ups
3. 15x squats
4. 15x burpees

After each exercise you sprint to the cone and back until you’ve completed 10 exercises you can do 5x of each exercise or 20x or do as many sets as you wish or feel you can manage!

Swimming is good but bodyweight exercises as the ones listed with running are the main things to prioritise but swimming is a good workout to use as a recovery day from running!

I have no idea what “Swedish” is but I googled it and this came up isn’t this is it!? Made me laugh tho.

tra_HMRM

Reaction score
Welcome. If you haven't yet seen it Arny's Plan is a proven winner for those training for PRMC. Even for someone without a firm PRMC date (due to COVID-19, etc.) the plan is a good template to work on and adapt as required.

https://www.royalmarines.uk/threads/fitness-help.104425/#post-623515

I'm an old fart so I'll suggest caution about being aware of the risks associated with open water swimming.
Best of luck. Let us know how you get on.

Thats really helpful letting me get a better understanding of a training plan/ session. And like you said it's good to change/tweak it to meet my requirements is a great idea, I shall take that plan and take it into my week. Thank you!

tra_HMRM

Reaction score
Hello welcome!

I wouldn’t just not run in the afternoon because it’s getting to hot , wether it’s rain , snow , ice , heat. what you’re aspiring to join will involve working out in all kinds of weather so you *text deleted* get used to that sort of situation and not just working out when it’s comfortable for you if that makes sense?

Doing press-ups and squats are boring and you don’t think it’s for the marines? I’m not quite sure if your trying to have a windup here? *text deleted*
Press-ups will be second nature to you and other than running will probably be the most frequent exercise you will do.

Just looked at your routine you do 1.5mile at 8am? Then 4mile again at 3 or 6pm? And you do swimming a fair bit also so you have a lot of cardio which is good.

These are the bodyweight exercises your tested on to the beep which is on youtube (prmc audio) if you haven’t seen it before maybe try these exercises to correct form to the beep and see how you do!?

60 press-ups
85 sit-ups
3 pull-ups (minimum)

Have you ever tried fintan workout before you might enjoy this as it’s everything in one workout.

1. 15x press-ups
2. 15x sit-ups
3. 15x squats
4. 15x burpees

After each exercise you sprint to the cone and back until you’ve completed 10 exercises you can do 5x of each exercise or 20x or do as many sets as you wish or feel you can manage!

Swimming is good but bodyweight exercises as the ones listed with running are the main things to prioritise but swimming is a good workout to use as a recovery day from running!

I have no idea what “Swedish” is but I googled it and this came up isn’t this is it!? Made me laugh tho.

Thank you for the reply, its very helpful as I never heard of the "fintan" workout and I shall be trying it as it sounds very useful, and it encorporates the upper body and lower body strength into a workout. It's really an ideal workout for me!

And don't worry about the Swedish bit on the training plan as I forgot to take it off, because I'm learning the language as I've got nothing else to do But I will look at the video it seems interesting

And all the thing about the press ups getting boring was because I do them in my room alone and I prefer doing them as a group so it was "quite boring" after a while.

And I have stuck to this training plan a while for about 3 weeks now and before that I was doing a slightly more relaxed fitness plan

Last edited:

tra_HMRM

Reaction score
Hi mate, I think the general consensus is if you’re young and have a few years till you want to join, is make it fun & interesting so you can keep it consistent and build up your all round fitness. Have you thought about a team sport?

If you’re dead set on this plan I think it would be better to only do 1 run in a single day at this point and not do them all on consecutive days - just to prevent any injuries
Yes Ive never really played team sports outside of college as im doing a public services course, but it is something that I'm thinking of getting into in my spare time.

And thank you for the suggestion of going for a run once every day as it's getting very hot. I shouldn't really over do it as I have a few years till I'm going to apply

Thanks!!

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply, its very helpful as I never heard of the "fintan" workout and I shall be trying it as it sounds very useful, and it encorporates the upper body and lower body strength into a workout. It's really an ideal workout for me!

And don't worry about the Swedish bit on the training plan as I forgot to take it off, because I'm learning the language as I've got nothing else to do But I will look at the video it seems interesting

And all the thing about the press ups getting boring was because I do them in my room alone and I prefer doing them as a group so it was "quite boring" after a while.

And I have stuck to this training plan a while for about 3 weeks now and before that I was doing a slightly more relaxed fitness plan
That’s no worries there’s plenty of different workouts you can do you don’t have to do them in your room.
If you have a pushbike or a sports field close by just go there in the fresh air no matter the weather and do your workouts there you’ll be better for it and more than likely see others training which will motivate you to keep going!

Be careful with the running tho if your doing it twice a day for consecutive days as your asking to injure yourself especially if you don’t come from a good running back round that seems a lot of mileage to do so soon and often!

Have you tried doing the PRMC testing criteria to see where you are at currently fitness wise?

tra_HMRM

Reaction score
Hello welcome!

60 press-ups
85 sit-ups
3 pull-ups (minimum)

1. 15x press-ups
2. 15x sit-ups
3. 15x squats
4. 15x burpees

That’s no worries there’s plenty of different workouts you can do you don’t have to do them in your room.
If you have a pushbike or a sports field close by just go there in the fresh air no matter the weather and do your workouts there you’ll be better for it and more than likely see others training which will motivate you to keep going!

Be careful with the running tho if your doing it twice a day for consecutive days as your asking to injure yourself especially if you don’t come from a good running back round that seems a lot of mileage to do so soon and often!

Have you tried doing the PRMC testing criteria to see where you are at currently fitness wise?
Hi, going running once a day is probably the best idea as that I'll probably pull a muscle. And your suggestion of going out to see other people exercising will be great but something I've never really thought of but it will be good for motivation.

And I've tried the PRMC testing criteria (if it's the running that you mean) and on a treadmill at a 2% incline I've been able to do the run in around 9/10 minutes for the first run and I'm pretty sure that I got 8 minutes in the second run.

Aerial

Reaction score

You don’t need to run with any weight at this stage, let alone attempting a BFT with 40kg+.

Running with weight is introduced progressively during RT so you’re built up to it. At this stage it’s unnecessary and a one way ticket to knackering yourself.

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Hi, going running once a day is probably the best idea as that I'll probably pull a muscle. And your suggestion of going out to see other people exercising will be great but something I've never really thought of but it will be good for motivation.

And I've tried the PRMC testing criteria (if it's the running that you mean) and on a treadmill at a 2% incline I've been able to do the run in around 9/10 minutes for the first run and I'm pretty sure that I got 8 minutes in the second run.
Yeah that’s smart not just the pulled muscle you can get shin splints, stress fractures and burn yourself out so soon if your not used to that amount of running.
Yeah it definitely will where I train usually see the same few faces doing here workouts so just keeps the motivation to keep going regardless of the weather you will keep progressing that way.

That’s a very good return 8 minutes after doing the 1st run in 9/10 minutes!?
Do you come from a competitive cross country/distance running background as that’s some great times for the 3 miler?

You said doing press-ups won’t help you with the marines ( very important!) so I was asking have you attempted the prmc bodyweight exercises to see where you are at with them?
To the beep (press/sit/pull-ups) ?

tra_HMRM

Reaction score
Yeah that’s smart not just the pulled muscle you can get shin splints, stress fractures and burn yourself out so soon if your not used to that amount of running.
Yeah it definitely will where I train usually see the same few faces doing here workouts so just keeps the motivation to keep going regardless of the weather you will keep progressing that way.

That’s a very good return 8 minutes after doing the 1st run in 9/10 minutes!?
Do you come from a competitive cross country/distance running background as that’s some great times for the 3 miler?

You said doing press-ups won’t help you with the marines ( very important!) so I was asking have you attempted the prmc bodyweight exercises to see where you are at with them?
To the beep (press/sit/pull-ups) ?
Apologies for the misunderstanding but yeah, Ive been running for a while now and my dad was in the RAF a few years ago and I used to go running and cross country with him. And also because im doing the public services course in college so it's helped with the running times.
But it was a few months ago when gyms were open i got the 8minuite time running 2.5km.

And I have not done the PRMC bodyweight exercises yet but I will do them this afternoon as I'm buisy in the morning.

A side note: ill do the fintan workout tomorrow or Tuesday as it seems challenging and strangely quite fun

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Apologies for the misunderstanding but yeah, Ive been running for a while now and my dad was in the RAF a few years ago and I used to go running and cross country with him. And also because im doing the public services course in college so it's helped with the running times.
But it was a few months ago when gyms were open i got the 8minuite time running 2.5km.

And I have not done the PRMC bodyweight exercises yet but I will do them this afternoon as I'm buisy in the morning.

A side note: ill do the fintan workout tomorrow or Tuesday as it seems challenging and strangely quite fun
I expected you did as they really are some good times! So it’s great you come from that background as it will give you such an advantage for you training.
Can you get these sort of times outside also or is this just on a treadmill?

Yeah no rush it was just to give yourself an idea of where your at with it no shame if you struggle and you might surprise yourself and do very well! So it’s good just to see where your at with them.

Yeah it is an exciting workout to do it’s the sprints that makes it hard as your always doing the exercises then when your tired which is better than doing them fresh!

let us no how you get on with it all

tra_HMRM

Reaction score
I expected you did as they really are some good times! So it’s great you come from that background as it will give you such an advantage for you training.

Yeah no rush it was just to give yourself an idea of where your at with it no shame if you struggle and you might surprise yourself and do very well! So it’s good just to see where your at with them.

Yeah it is an exciting workout to do it’s the sprints that makes it hard as your always doing the exercises then when your tired which is better than doing them fresh!

Hi, yes I'll post an update later after I've done the PRMC bodyweight exercises if I'm able to do it today, and I'll put down what my records are.

And on a treadmill I'm slightly better at running as it's like your running on a road with very smooth terrain. And if I do it outside it's more difficult because I live in the fens, where is very flat and windy, so it's a bit more difficult so on an average i complete the 2.5km run in around 10 minutes.

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Hi, yes I'll post an update later after I've done the PRMC bodyweight exercises if I'm able to do it today, and I'll put down what my records are.

And on a treadmill I'm slightly better at running as it's like your running on a road with very smooth terrain. And if I do it outside it's more difficult because I live in the fens, where is very flat and windy, so it's a bit more difficult so on an average i complete the 2.5km run in around 10 minutes.
10 minutes is still a good time just try mix it up so you’re doing it on a treadmill and doing it outside as when you get tested on it outside it could be very windy and raining which if you haven’t practised in those conditions might catch you out!

tra_HMRM

Reaction score

(I might have replied twice, because I can't find my response to this that I posted ten minutes ago)

Yes I can get these times on a treadmill because when you run one, as you would know, it's like your running on a smooth road. It's slightly more difficult when I run outside because I live in the fens where its very flat and windy, and I live in an area with a lot of back tracks which I run on. But I get around 10 minutes on average per run

And I'll post an update to let everyone know how I got on with the PRMC bodyweight exercises if I do them today, but if not then it will be tomorrow.

smashlegs

Reaction score
Going to keep this straight to the point because I find it helps being that way. This is just my opinion but I’m confident most people on here will agree with me.

1) Don’t just sack off the Bodyweight exercises because you think they’re boring. They are very much a frequent thing in the selection process and training.

You’re going to have to get used to training alone regardless of if it’s boring, and get used to been in your own world because when no one is there with you, you need to be able to push yourself and motivate yourself as normal.

2) Get used to training in all weather conditions and temperatures, you’re wanting to join the Royal Marines Commando’s, whom of which deploy in all climates, Artic, Jungle, Desert etc, some of them will be extremely hot and you’re going to have to operate in them. So don’t just not run because it’s too hot. Not only that but Training is 32 weeks long and I don’t think you’ll have the opportunity to miss out on possible hot and humid days, from my understanding you’ll more than likely see both summer and winter in training. So you need to get used to all variables.

As for training, just keep it simple mate. Cover the essential aspects, this is all you’ll get tested on:

- Running
- Swimming
- Press Ups
- Sit Ups
- Pull Ups

If you’re runnings good then prioritise you’re training on something that you’re not so good at, and vice Versa.

tra_HMRM

Reaction score

Update on the PRMC bodyweight workout: I was able to do the full 85 sit ups and felt like I could 85+ more and for the pres ups, I fell slightly short of the full 65, and instead I got 50. But i could have got to around 65 I reacon, as earlier in the year I did 50 in a minute at college.

Duality

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Update on the PRMC bodyweight workout: I was able to do the full 85 sit ups and felt like I could 85+ more and for the pres ups, I fell slightly short of the full 65, and instead I got 50. But i could have got to around 65 I reacon, as earlier in the year I did 50 in a minute at college.
The thing to remember is they have to be done to the correct standard and to a beep. I'm definitely not saying that isn't what you've done but many others have got lower numbers than they expected because their form wasn't exactly what those supervising expect.

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
That’s some good scores! Is it the first time you’ve done these?
It looks like you haven’t done these to the beep (correct way/timeing) as it takes 1.40 min to get to 50 press-ups on the beep and it makes a massive difference doing it this way to your scores.

I’ll add a few videos you can look at for correct form and also the timings.

These demonstrations are the proper form so it gives you a good insight and time to perfect them this way then!
As you see people posting on here getting reps taken off them for not sticking with the beep or not having correct form.

If you haven’t tested to these have ago when you can and see what the scores are then.

good luck