Fitness prep and niggling pains

highland_blue89

Reaction score
Afternoon folks,

With the gyms closed the variation of exercises becoming limited, I have begun to get some pain due to what I am assuming is repetitive strain. This is mainly the case in my shoulders whistle carrying out push-ups.

Part of me is telling myself that if I work through it they will probably get better, but the other part of me is saying to give them a rest. Now, the latter is difficult as time is of the essence with the looming PJFT.

Anyone else had any issues with strains from test specific exercises? I should add I am 31 so no spring chicken.

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Afternoon folks,

With the gyms closed the variation of exercises becoming limited, I have begun to get some pain due to what I am assuming is repetitive strain. This is mainly the case in my shoulders whistle carrying out push-ups.

Part of me is telling myself that if I work through it they will probably get better, but the other part of me is saying to give them a rest. Now, the latter is difficult as time is of the essence with the looming PJFT.

Anyone else had any issues with strains from test specific exercises? I should add I am 31 so no spring chicken.

It could be anything really do you do weights or anything like that?

You can get this pain on your shoulder from over extending if your doing weights where the weight bearing is to much stress for your shoulder and you’ve just carried on.

It could be from doing dips where your doing them to wide apart.

Do you do any press-ups that are wide grip as doing alot of these can cause a lot of strain on your shoulder compared to the marine ones which bases the majority of the strain on your triceps and chest.

highland_blue89

Reaction score
It all depends on how much you're training and what your form is like, regarding the VPJFT it's only 20 reps if I'm correct so shouldn't be too hard and you'll enough time inbetween exercises to rest certain body parts.

Just add it's only a test and your workouts shouldn't be just focused on that, have set circuits which include movements which build a good base for RT but also throw in ether test attempts or break it down if you're struggling to complete all the rounds.
It could be anything really do you do weights or anything like that?

You can get this pain on your shoulder from over extending if your doing weights where the weight bearing is to much stress for your shoulder and you’ve just carried on.

It could be from doing dips where your doing them to wide apart.

Do you do any press-ups that are wide grip as doing alot of these can cause a lot of strain on your shoulder compared to the marine ones which bases the majority of the strain on your triceps and chest.

Thanks for the responses gents.

Since lockdown my exercises have been resistance band and body weight based. The pain in the shoulders have come from no where really. It is nothing i cant work through, but i was just curious if i should give them a rest pre-PJFT to feel fitter on the day. But as one response says, its just the 20 so should be ok.

Should maybe just increase the oily fish intake! :-D

Rob20

Royal Marines Commando Moderator
Reaction score
Too much push not enough pull also a common cause of shoulder issues. For example someone who benches 3 times a week but never trains back is *text deleted* have alot of muscular imbalances in the shoulder. Make sure you're including all major muscle groups to avoid imbalances

thirdtry

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Having a similar drama myself currently mate. I am a bit phys obsessed these days and pretty confident across the board for ROP now but recently got a slight shoulder niggle myself. Not medical professional but I'd take a guess that it's more likely from Burpees than Press-Ups, I know mine is.

If you're not landing your Burpees correctly it is a recipe for shoulder issues. Love or hate crossfit it's one of the main injuries crossfitters discuss online. Make sure you do them under control, don't just launch yourself into the deck as hard as possible!

highland_blue89

Reaction score
Again, thanks for the responses.

In terms of the stats, I am on form for the PJFT. My push-ups were actually one of my stronger points but they took a dip when concentrating on the other aspects of the test. With this niggle I have plateau'd at around the pass mark. With going into the PJFT I was wanting to get well beyond that for confidence.

mervich

Reaction score
Strongly advise mobilise and warmup before the exercises even if it is body weight training ie. air punches, small circles, big circles, etc. Stretch your muscles and drink a lot of water (after all, our bodies are 80 percent water).

highland_blue89

Reaction score
Just a quick update on this.

I have concentrated massively in being more extensive in my stretches, and have seen a massive improvement. I have also stolen my memory foam mattress from my parents house and taken it to my flat, don't underestimate the damage an uncomfortable bed can do.

I can now concentrate on getting my reps up without feeling like my shoulders are going to burst.