Fitness preparation

Bear4236

Reaction score
Was just wondering what sort of training I should be doing, obviously cardio work is a no brainer but how much? I have an excersise bike and a treadmill in my garage and I have as much road running room as possible around the country roads near my house, I've also a gym membership but should I be doing much weights training etc? Just want as much info as possible about how much cardio I should be doing and what else I should be keeping an eye on aswell. Any training routines anyone has or any other info at all would be appreciated! Cheers

Nod1201

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Have a look in the threads in the training section there’s loads of good workouts and circuits and advice, id say have a look at Arny’s plan for the run Up to your prmc.

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Was just wondering what sort of training I should be doing, obviously cardio work is a no brainer but how much? I have an excersise bike and a treadmill in my garage and I have as much road running room as possible around the country roads near my house, I've also a gym membership but should I be doing much weights training etc? Just want as much info as possible about how much cardio I should be doing and what else I should be keeping an eye on aswell. Any training routines anyone has or any other info at all would be appreciated! Cheers

Don’t worry too much about weights. Cardio and body weight stuff should be enough.
And as stated above, have a look through the training threads. There’s some good advice and programmes.

Nod1201

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Would just like to add if you’ve not completed PJFT use your gym membership to train on treadmills as I read some cheaper Home treadmills can be set wrong leading to a false time for your runs do a mock PJFT every week if you can

Bear4236

Reaction score
Would just like to add if you’ve not completed PJFT use your gym membership to train on treadmills as I read some cheaper Home treadmills can be set wrong leading to a false time for your runs do a mock PJFT every week if you can
Yeah will do! I'll just use the one at home for anytime I can't get out to the gym that day but will try not to rely on it too much :) Cheers

posh_punter

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Take Arny's plan as a guide and then tweak it to suit your needs.

Bear4236

Reaction score
One more thing, I've heard that running on the treadmill and running on the road are two completely different things? Like you won't be able to run as far on the roads as you can on the treadmill?

Seags98

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
One more thing, I've heard that running on the treadmill and running on the road are two completely different things? Like you won't be able to run as far on the roads as you can on the treadmill?

It’s different for everyone really, put me on a treadmill and I get a sub 9 minute run easily but on the road I struggle getting 9:30, some may find road runs easier but either way get practicing both!

Kangarooj

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
As said above, practice both.. in theory the treadmill should be easier, the belt assists your strides and there's no real air resistance in front of you to slow you down.
But I really struggle on the treadmill, I sweat.. like.. SERIOUSLY sweat when I'm on the treadmill, and can get around 9:40
On the road I feel like I can get my own rhythm going, and the cool air stop me from sweating and I use certain landmarks to aim for which help the run go by faster, the treadmill seems to go on and on and on and on..

Forever.

Lvv96

Reaction score
Do as much leg work as you can, run on tired legs, smash press ups/sit ups/pull ups, and make sure you practice the bleep test.

Also start BJJ it'll help with hand to hand combat

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Do as much leg work as you can, run on tired legs, smash press ups/sit ups/pull ups, and make sure you practice the bleep test.

Also start BJJ it'll help with hand to hand combat

Not to be a d*ck but there’s no point joining a martial art for RT. Join a Martial Art for wanting to train in it.
It kind of takes the mick out of the dojo. The instructors won’t appreciate someone using it with no intention of progressing.
Unless it’s a McDojo.

The CQC has no set style apart from its own, just take it as it comes and be directed.
Arguably if you train other martial arts you will take “bad habits” to CQC.

cc1

(former RM)
Reaction score
Agree, CQC invariably involves copious amounts of windmilling and, fundamentally, beating someone to death by any and all means available, not, as martial arts seems to want; practicing excessive restraint.

Bear4236

Reaction score
Thanks lads for all the feedback, I'll take it all into account and I'll let yous know how I get on! Pretty new to doing a lot of cardio as I imagine most people would be before starting to train but I'll give it my best!

Seags98

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
The CQC has no set style apart from its own, just take it as it comes and be directed.
Arguably if you train other martial arts you will take “bad habits” to CQC.

Out of interest is milling still a part of recruit training? I heard it’s something only paras do now

Chelonian

Reaction score
Out of interest is milling still a part of recruit training? I heard it’s something only paras do now

Millng is traditionally one of the Parachute Regiment and All Arms P-Company tests. Basically a confidence and aggression test.

One didn't receive any specific training for it. Recruits wear headguards when milling now. Modern world, eh? ;)

blindman3004

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
The RMCC or RMCQC I cant remember the acronym..is pretty good from my experience, you learn basic BJJ positions, sweeps,subs,takedowns and then escapes from subs and escapes from different positions to re-gain top control or get back to your feet. You learn a basic stance and how to get up from the ground. If you have trained in any stand-up try not to bounce on your toes as you wont be able to bounce on your toes with a Bergen and all your kit! There are like battle royal matches where you do a section vs section vs section the aim is to tap the opposing section out, didn't participate in that but sounded fun! The aim as stated is to kill the person or create enough space to use whatever weapon is around..be it your rifle or a rock and that it is not a sport to win, there are no judges on the battlefield or refs so anything goes! Bite,scratch,pull,twist,spit,poke!

Reaction score
Is milling just boxing aimin at the head

Last edited:

New Threads