Saturday
3 mile run or Circuit + pullups, situps, pressups
rest in evening

Sunday
Hill walking 10 - 20 miles carrying rucksack

Touchstone

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Too much running I think. I was told running only 3 times a week is good, maybe stretch it to four, but on the other days do light intensity CV, like cycling and rowing, to reduce stress and allow time to heal.

I think the mileage is quite high, 38 - 48 miles a week on your legs. So many running days without rest in between may be tiring, I know I couldn't do it. At least I could but I wouldn't maintain the times I would want. Well that's just my opinion.

RC

Reaction score
I really can't see you gaining any benefit from running twice a day on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. Many elite runners have to train twice per day in order to improve (or even maintain) their fitness. However, they will have spent years building their work capacity to this level. Going off your 3 mile time, I'm assuming you don't have the training experience to be able to recover unless you train at a less than optimal intensity.

Rich.

et-adams

Reaction score
I like how it says on Saturday, 'Rest in the evening'. Usually I get my rest in while I'm having a bath or feeding the cat. Great schedule of you're an international middle-distance runner / boxer, but the likelyhood is that you're not. There are too many intense miles in there.

chrystal19

Reaction score
Yes I'd substitute some of the running for swimming or biking. The gains you'll get from running twice a day will be absolutely minimal, maybe even detrimental, and certainly not worth the mental and physical burden.

Loz

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Too much running I think. I was told running only 3 times a week is good, maybe stretch it to four, but on the other days do light intensity CV, like cycling and rowing, to reduce stress and allow time to heal.

I think the mileage is quite high, 38 - 48 miles a week on your legs. So many running days without rest in between may be tiring, I know I couldn't do it. At least I could but I wouldn't maintain the times I would want. Well that's just my opinion.

True mate, I've stuck to my gun's and only ran 4 miles 3 times a week and it's done wonders. I have fairly decent joints and I feel fitter than ever. On the odd occasion I'll add a little fartlek in on Saturday but other than that 3 times a week is by far enough.

Oz22

Reaction score
This is a general guide, will change it about every week
Any advice on this new Schedule lads?

Monday
3 mile run, 3x25 pressups and situps, 3x3 pullups

Tuesday
Swimming 30 lenghts, 3x25 pressups and situps, 3x3 pullups

Wednesday
Hill sprints, Body weight Circuit

Thursday
3 mile run (interval) and swimming 30 lengths

Friday
fartlek training - sprint 100 meters jog back 6 times
max pressups, situps and pullups

Saturday
Rest day

Sunday
Hill walking

chrystal19

Reaction score
Yes that gives you adequate rest. As long as you do everything regularly and in moderation and in a varied form it will work. People can always say "do a bit more of this" but as long as your run scores get lower and your bodyweight exercise scores get higher its right for you.

Touchstone

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Aye, that routine is much better, stick with that one. Should allow adequate rest and maintenance.

New Threads