Fitness tests

OddPikeFromCrimsonCity.

Reaction score
Hi all,
As I’m sure your aware the fitness tests have changed because of COVID. Will these tests stay the same when coronas over or will they go back to PJFT and PRMC?
Apologies if it’s a stupid question

G_commando

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
The pjft May return but the prmc won't. Its been replaced with the 4 week ROP

SCOTTY6

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I think it would be hard to compare the two. However ROP gives you 4 weeks prep for the mandatory tests, so take what you will from that.

Chelonian

Reaction score
Will the ROP be Harder to pass than the PRMC?
I'll throw in a speculative comment. Previously some candidates withdrew themselves from PRMC for diverse reasons.
ROP is effectively a four-week job interview. I'll go out on a limb and suggest that a fair number of those on ROP see themselves off by voluntary withdrawal rather than by failing test elements.

Grimey Arches

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
ROP is definitely harder, you'll be up early every day and having inspections which will be followed by phys and lectures, you'll be expected to take on board the information you've learnt and everything is progressive.

You'll be set timings which are impossible to put you under pressure and with covid you most likely wont be allowed of camp which means not much rest for you, phys will be every day bar sunday and you'll have drill ad well.

Means you could be doing a 2 hours session with a PTI then straight back and change for Drill for another 2-3 hours.

It is 4 week taste of what is to come but more then likely watered down.

SCOTTY6

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Bit of a bite they make you do ROP despite doing PRMC no?

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Long story, did PRMC when commando/death slide was still allowed and now in ROP.

If you pass ROP would you still class it as harder than PRMC overall as you didn’t pass PRMC? Seen a fair few feedbacks about the ROP and the way it comes across is it’s alot softer than a PRMC overall more of a learning curve growing you into what is expected of at you training rather than just throwing you into the deep end and destroying you basically at a PRMC.

Be interesting to see what the overall % are for fail/injuries in PRMC compared to the ROP.

Grimey Arches

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
If you pass ROP would you still class it as harder than PRMC overall as you didn’t pass PRMC? Seen a fair few feedbacks about the ROP and the way it comes across is it’s alot softer than a PRMC overall more of a learning curve growing you into what is expected of at you training rather than just throwing you into the deep end and destroying you basically at a PRMC.

Be interesting to see what the overall % are for fail/injuries in PRMC compared to the ROP.
I failed PRMC on Hare and Hounds, PRMC was always changing so some would have it and others wouldn't.

They dont destroy you at PRMC, it's tough because nobody trains at that level or for that long in civilian life. Phys in ROP is progressive but far from easy and very different, four corners and camp circuits are whole different ball game.

Also it seems ROP's.can vary slightly as your PTI/DL will still be with you in mainstream training, some will thrash you or others may want to give you the best chance at passing the RMFA.

Injuries would be lower in ROP because of sub maximal training but that doesnt really happen that much, PRMC would be higher as lads would either have a genuine injury or wrap and use it as an excuse.

Also remember you'll do First Step after being out in the field for a few days living of rations, possibly not sleeping much and probably have a taste of being flanked. Then you'll return to CTC and do High Obs confidence test, clean your kit and have a kit muster then do the RMFA on Friday.

Chelonian

Reaction score
As an aside, several who passed PRMC in late 2019 or early 2020 found themselves loaded onto the earliest ROP Troops.
I guess that there aren't the numbers to infer credible statistics but it would be interesting to know how many of those PRMC passes failed and/or re-took ROP.

G_commando

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
As an aside, several who passed PRMC in late 2019 or early 2020 found themselves loaded onto the earliest ROP Troops.
I guess that there aren't the numbers to infer credible statistics but it would be interesting to know how many of those PRMC passes failed and/or re-took ROP.
I don't know that but I talked to some one who was on one of the first ones and they said about 70 started and 40 finnished the ROP. The majority of dropouts were voluntary withdrawals.

Chelonian

Reaction score
...but I talked to some one who was on one of the first ones and they said about 70 started and 40 finnished the ROP.
I've heard similar. The wastage (not counting those permitted to have another attempt at ROP) makes sense of the starting number of about 70.

Current national circumstances have almost certainly reduced the starting size of ROPs.

Last edited:

johno4

Reaction score
I've heard similar. The wastage (not counting those permitted to have another attempt at ROP) makes sense of the starting number of about 70.
Chelonian remember a few weeks ago they told us the ROP intake size was reduced because of covid which caused alot of lads start dates to get pushed out and shuffled around

do you know if theyve sorted that and reverted back to the standard intake size ?

(I'm going to be getting a start date soon , hope I dont have to wait too long)