Fitness + Weight

PRMCjamesb

Reaction score
Having a bit of trouble with keeping my weight up. I have my PRMC coming up soon and I would like to put on abit more weight before I go, just turned 16- Im 6,3 and 75kg.. but Im losing weight by the amount of running I do as my fitness needs abit more work. I eat loads and Im on Protein and I just cant seem to keep my weight up. I have heard about subsituting long distance runs for shorter intense runs but isn't this preparing you for the wrong thing?

ZZ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
subsituting long runs for short is ok, during training you will be built up to do long runs, as long as you can run 3 miles for your prmc then that is all they expect of you for now. but dont just stop long distance just cut it down, do maybe one a week or every 2 weeks

LAS920

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Mate your 16, size will come with age and maturity. I was probably around that at 16, now im 6'3" and 90.8 kgs, (7% body fat), and all ive done is eat healthy and train for strength endurance. Hand on heart I have never followed a weights program.

There is no need to try to put on any weight as far as I can see. As long as your 75 kgs of mostly muscle, then I cant see a problem. Strength endurance should be your focus, not to be confused with strength; strength endurance is your ability to sustain high power output over a long period of time. Running with weights, pressups with weights, situps with weights, will all improve your strength endurance, and should also give you some definition and size!

Creed

Reaction score
Mate your 16, size will come with age and maturity. I was probably around that at 16, now im 6'3" and 90.8 kgs, (7% body fat), and all ive done is eat healthy and train for strength endurance. Hand on heart I have never followed a weights program.

There is no need to try to put on any weight as far as I can see. As long as your 75 kgs of mostly muscle, then I cant see a problem. Strength endurance should be your focus, not to be confused with strength; strength endurance is your ability to sustain high power output over a long period of time. Running with weights, pressups with weights, situps with weights, will all improve your strength endurance, and should also give you some definition and size!

*text deleted* the bigger you are the harder you will fall :P

Anyways i don't think having to much muscle is a good ideal weigh 75kg mostly muscle :doh: yes you need it but RM ain't all about strength endurance...

Muscle bad points

1: it weighs more then fat
2: cramps up easy
3:bulky you won't be-able to run as fast *text deleted* sure you can run the same distance but not at the same speed meaning you will fall behind.
4: with swimming Muscle does not float

I think the rope regain would be hard since you *text deleted* swing all that muscle weight up.

So having muscle is great but not too much of it

LAS920

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score

Anyways i don't think having to much muscle is a good ideal weigh 75kg mostly muscle :doh: yes you need it but RM ain't all about strength endurance...

Muscle bad points

1: it weighs more then fat
2: cramps up easy
3:bulky you won't be-able to run as fast *text deleted* sure you can run the same distance but not at the same speed meaning you will fall behind.
4: with swimming Muscle does not float

I think the rope regain would be hard since you *text deleted* swing all that muscle weight up.

With regards to your rope regain, muscle moves muscle and bone. Fat moves....nothing. Need I say any more? Im sure you do the rope regain after or as part of the bottom field assault course? In order to perform a strength based exercise after an arduous anaerobic exercise what do you think you need? Strength endurance.

Im not saying he needs to bulk up, in fact, im pretty certain I stated that he doesn't. I simply saying he needs to train the muscles he's got.

Loz

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score

Muscle bad points

1: it weighs more then fat - [Doesn't make a difference, the muscle you gain will be able to lift the extra weight]
2: cramps up easy- [Cramps up just as easy as small amount of muscle]
3:bulky you won't be-able to run as fast *text deleted* sure you can run the same distance but not at the same speed meaning you will fall behind. - [Slightly slower but doesn't really effect your times much.]
4: with swimming Muscle does not float - [Arnold Schwarzenegger hardly sank when he went swimming.]

Not really accurate mate, there are more pro's to having muscle than there are cons.

LAS920

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Loz I think he's talking out of his arrse.co.uk mate.

Creed

Reaction score
Yeah arduous anaerobic fitness is good for intense and high energy activity's
but still you need to watch your BMI but my point is it's not a good idea to have a load of muscle as for Arnold *text deleted* i don't mean sinking. by muscle doesn't float you won't be a strong swimmer..... yes true you can lift the extra weight put on by muscle but thats more energy you need to do it.

i'm 5'4" i weigh about 65kg Ideal fitness BMI

talking from his arrse.co.uk?? learn to spell Arse correctly
theres no need for that *text deleted**text deleted* everyone has there own opinions

RossRobObey

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
When he says talking out of his arsse.co.uk he is referring to the website www.arrse.co.uk. It is an Army training forum, from the sounds of it he doesn't agree with their methods.

Loz

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
but still you need to watch your BMI but my point is it's not a good idea to have a load of muscle as for Arnold *text deleted* i don't mean sinking. by muscle doesn't float you won't be a strong swimmer..... yes true you can lift the extra weight put on by muscle but thats more energy you need to do it.

theres no need for that *text deleted**text deleted* everyone has there own opinions

Allot of athletic swimmers are fairly well built and muscular, anyway pointless argument *text deleted*. What Marines usually do is pass RT training them put on muscle and get built up when there in.

LAS920

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score

Theres no such thing as opinion when talking about fact.
Another fact, if you want to talk in terms of the rough rule of thumb that is know as BMI, then you are over weight.

Argument asside, the gent who posted the original question is probably underweight in a clinical sense (the BMI which you keep reffering to creed), however, as long as he can pass the necissary tests to begin training, this shouldn't be a problem, the weight will come once he is in training and as he matures. No opinion, no discussion, fact.

http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/magazine/interactive/bmi/index.aspx#Results

FletchPRMC

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
When it comes to rope regains, muscle is surely good. Yea muscle weighs more, but muscle carries itself and more. I once had someone say to me, your upper body is big, you wont be able to do pushups. Yea there is more weight to lift, but muscle suports itself and more, otherwise there wouldnt be any point in having muscle. You want the right type of muscle, slow twitch fibres (type 1) or fast twitch, but the right type "type 1b" I think they are the right type numbers anyway.

you want to be big and strong enough to be able to take the physical abuse, having more muscle will help with this. It will help agasint the physical knocks and falls that you will take. However it will come to a point where it becomes more of a hinderence than a help.

You want an all around high level of fitness, fitness does include muscular strength. I bet paula radcliffe will have weights in her fitness programme.

NicholasSkamballis

Reaction score
I'm 5'6 and a bit (*text deleted* i thought i was taller but my medical set me straight) and i weigh at 72kgs i've been told i've got good power to weight, i'm not the hugest person in the world but i like to think i'm packing good muscle not to be big but to be strong :D

Creed

Reaction score
Ok play it your way

Me 5'4" 65kg Nhs say You are the ideal weight for your height
Your BMI is 23.5

If your BMI is between 18.5 and 24.9 you're an ideal weight for your height.

You 6'3" 90.5kg
You are overweight for your height
Your BMI is 25.07

If your BMI is between 25 and 29.9 you're over the ideal weight for your height.

Medical BMI Req 28 or under But they also say weight should be in proportion to your height.

Creed

Reaction score
I'm 5'6 and a bit (*text deleted* i thought i was taller but my medical set me straight) and i weigh at 72kgs i've been told i've got good power to weight, i'm not the hugest person in the world but i like to think i'm packing good muscle not to be big but to be strong :D

Same *text deleted* good balance of Muscle power
perfect for speed,stamina ,strength

Loz

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Ok play it your way

Me 5'4" 65kg Nhs say You are the ideal weight for your height
Your BMI is 23.5

If your BMI is between 18.5 and 24.9 you're an ideal weight for your height.

You 6'3" 90.5kg
Your BMI is 25.07

If your BMI is between 25 and 29.9 you're over the ideal weight for your height.

Medical BMI Req 28 or under But they also say weight should be in proportion to your height.

In that case...

Arnold Schwartznegger
Height: 6' 2"
Weight 16.7 stone

Your BMI is 29.5

If your BMI is between 25 and 29.9 you're over the ideal weight for your height. Make sure you eat a healthy, well-balanced diet and don't eat more calories than you need to.

If you're trying to lose weight, get more exercise and avoid snacking and 'crash' diets. If you carry your weight around your stomach, you're 'apple-shaped', rather than 'pear-shaped'. This means you're at more risk of health problems, so you really need to get your weight down.

Just because he's heavy for his hight doesn't mean he's overweight, I'm sure he stated earlier that he has 7% Body fat.

LAS920

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
My bad.

That asside, your initial argment was that jamesb shouldn't put on weight. I ahvent worked it out, but my guess is that his BMI will say he's underweight.

I may be overweight, but theres no fat, and I dont stuggle with to swim, run or jump for that matter.

Creed

Reaction score
My bad.

That asside, your initial argment was that jamesb shouldn't put on weight. I ahvent worked it out, but my guess is that his BMI will say he's underweight.

I may be overweight, but theres no fat, and I dont stuggle with to swim, run or jump for that matter.

yes i Agree Loz thats because Nhs BMI is bollocks they don't taken into account Body Size i.e Small , med or large frame

So don't take the Nhs results to heart =]

Also your body needs fat infact it's good for survival if your starving Your body eats away at your body fat.

LAS920

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I would hazzard a guess that Sir Steve Redgrave wouldn't struggle with the physical side of Marine Training, lets have a look at his BMI

Height - 6'5"
Weight - 16st 2lbs
BMI..............................26.5

LAS920

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
yes i Agree Loz thats because Nhs BMI is bollocks they don't taken into account Body Size i.e Small , med or large frame

So don't take the Nhs results to heart =]

Also your body needs fat infact it's good for survival if your starving Your body eats away at your body fat.

You brought BMI into the equation. Im well aware of the generalisations made when calculating BMI. Are you?

New Threads