Fitness

ugachaka

Reaction score
Hi guys I've been training for about 5 months and took a month off inbetween because of shin splints and I've been training quite a bit. However, I've not really seen any improvements mainly in the 3 mile run and I always try my hardest sometimes puking at the end, it's usually because my legs fill up with lactic acid on the return and slows me done massively and I'm not sure if it' because I don' eat in the morning or if I'm just not fit enough your suggestions would really help.

blindman3004

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
What are your run time stats etc.. at the moment? and typical weekly training schedule?

ugachaka

Reaction score
I used to do 2 4.8km runs, 6 mile run, hill sprints, intervals and two crossfit sessions in a week but now I do two cross it sessions, hill sprints, intervals, swimming and a 3 mile run

ugachaka

Reaction score
I used to do two 3 mile runs at about 23-24 mins, 6 mile run at about 55 mins but not focusing on speed just endurance, 400m sprint then a 1min break x10 wich takes about 28mins, hill sprints 150m sprint x10 which takes about 25 mins. Currently I do two crossfit sessions, 3 mile run, intervals, hill sprints and a 30min swim and the times are roughly the same as the top ones

blindman3004

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I used to do two 3 mile runs at about 23-24 mins, 6 mile run at about 55 mins but not focusing on speed just endurance, 400m sprint then a 1min break x10 wich takes about 28mins, hill sprints 150m sprint x10 which takes about 25 mins. Currently I do two crossfit sessions, 3 mile run, intervals, hill sprints and a 30min swim and the times are roughly the same as the top ones

Ok current 3 mile time is between 23-24 minutes and you have been training for 5 months. What was your 3 mile time 5 months ago? How much progression has there been?

Just confirm currently per week you do 1x 3 mile run 1x intervals and 1x hill sprints and a 2x crossfit sessions and x1 swim?

ugachaka

Reaction score
Yes that' my current training schedule and there has pretty much been very little in improvement it' just that my legs fill up with lactic acid

blindman3004

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Personally I think you need to put more miles in per week, although I know you are recovering from shin splits, if after 5 months training and your time 3mile is still the same, something needs to change! Tagged the PRMC master guru @arny01

Old Man

Ex-Matelot
Reaction score
Ugachaka,

You appear to have been and still are doing, a lot of anaerobic exercise, hill sprints, intervals and particularly cross-fit, which leads to a build up of lactic acid. The only way to get rid of lactic acid is mild aerobic exercise, to reoxygenate the tissues.

I have no expertise in training but even I'd suggest a more balanced routine. Arny's probably your man for this.

arny01

Ex Pongo.
Reaction score
I'm very wary of offering up advice to lads who have or are having shin splints. The reason is because often the cause can be poor biomechanics, wrong running shoes or something totally different!!

So if you get to a position where you can run 5 miles at a pace between 8-9 min/mile pain free. Then I'd be happy to offer advice? Please try and keep to the main boards, as everyone can benefit, PM's are great but I got to a position where I was answering upto 7-10 per day. Which was taking up way too much of my time.

ugachaka

Reaction score
Thanks guys I can currently run 6 miles in about 53 mins and the beginning is usually worse like sore ankles and knees but after a mile or so it goes away

arny01

Ex Pongo.
Reaction score
Thanks guys I can currently run 6 miles in about 53 mins and the beginning is usually worse like sore ankles and knees but after a mile or so it goes away
Can you run pain free?

ugachaka

Reaction score
Yes I've started to do a lot of mobility work and ice my shine which helped massively

Cuzza22297

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
As arny has suggested dropping one of the runs, i'd recommend putting in a row if you have access to a rower. It's a good low impact CV alternative and has worked wonders for my overall aerobic fitness.

I'd say start off with a 30 min row then, as you get more comfortable with rowing, increase that up to an hour. Technique is really important so give the video below a watch, it helped me a lot.