Foam roller direction

Ross154

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Morning guys,

I remember a thread on here a while back about this, but there's so many threads on foam rollers I couldn't find the one I was looking for in a search.
When you have a sports massage on the legs, the physios will only massage up your leg, in the direction of the heart (something to do with one-way valves in the legs I think someone said in the other thread). But all the instructional videos of foam rollers have them rolling both up and down the leg. Is this a good idea, or should you only go towards the heart with a foam roller?

Cheers,
Ross

S

stokey_14

Morning guys,

I remember a thread on here a while back about this, but there's so many threads on foam rollers I couldn't find the one I was looking for in a search.
When you have a sports massage on the legs, the physios will only massage up your leg, in the direction of the heart (something to do with one-way valves in the legs I think someone said in the other thread). But all the instructional videos of foam rollers have them rolling both up and down the leg. Is this a good idea, or should you only go towards the heart with a foam roller?

Cheers,
Ross

I?ve always rolled both ways and seen people roll both ways on videos, never had any issue.

I think the reason you only ever massage toward the heart is to stop blood pooling. could be wrong though.

Stokey

Red Bull

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
There are one way valves in your veins in your legs that don't like having blood forced the wrong way through them.

I foam roll both directions, but place less pressure toward the feet and then apply more pressure toward the heart.

JMC

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
The valves are there to help combat things like gravity when getting blood back to the heart.

I am no expert but thinking about it logically its probably best to not mess with those valves as they are fairly important.