Food during BF and EC?

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was just wondering if you are given or allowed to consume energy sources (for example: gels, haribo, jelly babies etc. stashed in pockets) during bottom field or the endurance course?

Given that both bottom field and the endurance course are 3+ hours long, I would wager that running out of carb stores and hitting the wall might be a large cause of failure/voluntary withdrawal.

If you're not allowed to take food, is it worth doing some glycogen depleted training to get used to running in this state?

Thanks for any input!

Illustrious

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score
those gels will not survive first contact with a leopard crawl. You will not be eating whilst on either the bottom field, nor endurance course, so get used to feeling exhausted.

Rob20

Royal Marines Commando Moderator
Reaction score
Nothing on bottom field. You'll get banana every hour or so on endurance.

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Hi all,

I was just wondering if you are given or allowed to consume energy sources (for example: gels, haribo, jelly babies etc. stashed in pockets) during bottom field or the endurance course?

Given that both bottom field and the endurance course are 3+ hours long, I would wager that running out of carb stores and hitting the wall might be a large cause of failure/voluntary withdrawal.

If you're not allowed to take food, is it worth doing some glycogen depleted training to get used to running in this state?

Thanks for any input!

Can't stop a contact to scran up. Don't do any glycogen depleted thingy ma bobs. RT is there to train you to the standards and arguably you will be more knackered on exercises.
You don't need to over think it mate. Everything happens for a reason.

You don't get anything, you have a big breakfast. Chargeable offense to miss it. Most important meal of the day.

Only thing you Get scran on is the 30Miler. A pasty or a banana and some hot limers at each RV.

Hyperhippo

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Albeit not a PRMC, but on my Look at Life course last December we were given hot orange squash at the end of the Endurance Course, and I kid you not it was the best thing I have ever had

Caversham

RM Commando, Crossed The Bar 13/12/2020
Reaction score
Get the biggest breakfast down your neck that you can manage that morning. Don't hold back at all. If you have to lay a kit muster on the BF then so be it! The TT will give you extra Brownie Points based on content and colour! -vomit-

Alan

Illustrious

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score
I can proudly say I never once deposited a street pizza during recruit training, run ashores excepted! Then again, the phys in RT is pretty buckshee, couple of little jogs here and there with the odd push up thrown in for good measure...

stumpylegs

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Honestly you're making it more complicated than it is, they feed you when you need it, just eat a full English as well as a bowl of cereal every morning, sneak fruit out any meal they offer fruit too so you can eat it when hungry on the night, they might let you out to the naafi too on the night to buy chocolate and biscuits etc, drink plenty of water, they give you a banana when youve earned it on the endurance course and they give you enough water breaks.

The most important thing is to be lined up 5 minutes before every timing, don't scratch or itch and do everything the way they say or you will be punished, think they let us out to the naafi because we were always ready 5 mins before for everything

Last edited:

New Threads