Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

Foot Ligament Damage (Calcaneocuboid)

Discussion in 'Common Training Injuries' started by Farmerdave, Oct 28, 2019.

1. Farmerdave

Farmerdave New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I am currently undertaking my final year of an MEng Mechanical Engineering masters and would like to join the Corps as an officer a year after graduation (September 2021 just after my 24th birthday), as I would like to do a season snowboarding first. I have joined the URNU at my uni and am going to use it to do as many mountain leader courses etc. as possible while I do my final year and I have also signed up to the RMX in Chatham in a couple of weeks time to see what that is like.

I am currently concerned about a ligament that I damaged two years ago (I think it is the calcaneocuboid ligament in my foot), as it still occassionally feels weak after training (running up to 8 miles, load carry up to 4 miles) however there is never any major pain or swelling. I have done some research on the internet and it is often best treated with ligament reconstruction surgery, and normally after surgery a full recovery is made, but I am unsure as to whether to pursue this with a doctor as I do not want it to be a bar to entry (as it is with ACL surgery), especially as so far it has not caused me any major problems in my training.

However as it is almost two years until I want to join, I'm not sure if it'd be worth seeking medical attention ASAP so I can make a full recovery before the selection process, but I don't want to shoot myself in the foot and end up with a bar to entry. My URNU medical is coming up in a few weeks so I am planning to ask the doctor there their opinion on it. Any advice would be much appreciated! Cheers.