Football & other sports

Dan8696

Reaction score
I'm just wondering what the sports scene is within training troops? I'm a huge footy fan (season ticket holder with Liverpool) and was wondering what the sports scene was like down at CTC?

Dan8696

Reaction score
I don't mean having time for it, should have specified haha. I meant is there much of sporting atmosphere among a troop

KatnissEverdeen

Reaction score
You'll have zero time for sport as a recruit in mainstream training.
Do you think there will be a female rugby team when there are hopefully more females in the corps? I know that the rfu rules are that over 13 females cant play against men in rugby

KatnissEverdeen

Reaction score
Even tag rugby?
No its just contact sports. Just because of safety reasons because biologically boys are naturally stronger than girls and can cause injury if tackled. I can sort of see their reasoning but then again during bulldog I would always target this one guy who was about double my height and weight (Im really short for my age) and would successfully get him. It was an ongoing joke between us so He would target me (unsuccessfully) so For me height and weight didnt factor that much into tackling but strength definitely does. Being small definitely benefited me in rugby massively.
Loved the feeling of getting the ball and just scoring a try

Last edited:

Dan8696

Reaction score
Do you think there will be a female rugby team when there are hopefully more females in the corps? I know that the rfu rules are that over 13 females cant play against men in rugby
It'll probably be one of those things that develops over time, women's sports is generally really good to watch & if there is enough women in the corps then I see no reason why not.

KatnissEverdeen

Reaction score
It'll probably be one of those things that develops over time, women's sports is generally really good to watch & if there is enough women in the corps then I see no reason why not.
Thats good, there are some female army rugby teams and eventually it would be good for there to be a corps rugby team. Out if interested do you have to be selected or can you just sign up for all the male corp rugby teams? And is there one per unit?

G_commando

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
You will most likely have people in your troop that are doing sport to a pretty high levels before they join up.

J9R4W

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
What are the most popular sports that Marines do in Corps? Just from looking at the G&L it seems like boxing and rugby are popular, but it would be interesting to hear what the most popular ones are. Thanks.

Last edited:

G_commando

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
They are among them but the sports people do are unlimited. I was in training with a guy that was a pro figure skater another was a rock climber. I used to do pole vault. There are some that just don't do sports.

J9R4W

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Okay interesting quite a mixed bag then! Thanks for the info.

Chelonian

Reaction score
I met the son of a forum user. He had a rugby league background and was representing the Corps within weeks of completing RT. Captaining the team within one year.

Juggling sport and career requires careful thought though.

KatnissEverdeen

Reaction score
I met the son of a forum user. He had a rugby league background and was representing the Corps within weeks of completing RT. Captaining the team within one year.

Juggling sport and career requires careful thought though.
Do you have to be selected or can you just sign up and show up to training for the less competitive teams

AsdaOwn

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Do you have to be selected or can you just sign up and show up to training for the less competitive teams
I think you need to be selected to play for certain teams like the Rugby team. Probably a trail type deal. What sport you looking at mate

Chelonian

Reaction score
I don't know the exact process but back in the day 'talent' was encouraged to attend trials.

Bear in mind that attendance for training depends on the goodwill of one's unit and its commitments.

Aside from the domestic sporting programme in the UK the Corps rugby league team toured Australia in recent years.

KatnissEverdeen

Reaction score
I think you need to be selected to play for certain teams like the Rugby team. Probably a trail type deal. What sport you looking at mate
Rugby definitely. I stopped when I started secondary just due to being in the top teams for hockey so that was my first commitment, but recently we played tag rugby for a few sessions and I realised how much i missed the game and even though it wasn't contact, I still enjoyed it.

Advocado

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score

I don't think there will ever be enough females in the corps at one time to form a rugby team unfortunately!

Chelonian

Reaction score
Rugby definitely.
Even if one counts female personnel in the Royal Marines Band Service the numbers might not add up just now for a RM team. But remember that the Royal Marines are a part of the Royal Navy:

AsdaOwn

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Rugby definitely. I stopped when I started secondary just due to being in the top teams for hockey so that was my first commitment, but recently we played tag rugby for a few sessions and I realised how much i missed the game and even though it wasn't contact, I still enjoyed it.

Katniss you could look at some of the Navy teams. They have plenty women only teams mate, I will try and find you a link

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Football & Other Sports Training Plans and Diet Suggestions 21
R Football Fan Arrest Jollies Bar 12
S FOOTBALL Jollies Bar 26