Footwear for VPJFT+

Quenners

Reaction score
Couple of VPJFT questions if anyone is able to help!

Is there a requirement for footwear? I'm doing it from home so wouldn't mind doing it in bare feet!

Is there a waiting list after you inform AFCO that you're ready?

Thanks in advance.

Griff149

Reaction score
Not sure on the footwear, I’m sure it’ll be fine without shoes indoors.

Spoke to my AFCO a couple days ago and was told there is a bit of a backlog getting a date to get booked in.

Griff149

Reaction score
Thanks Griff. Have you booked in?
Yes mate. Got mine next week! I’ve done a couple practice runs now and passed both and doing plenty of other core/shoulder endurance circuits to prepare. Feeling pretty confident now

Quenners

Reaction score
Good stuff, best of luck. Keep us posted on how you get on! I'm going to run it again tomorrow and then inform my AFCO that I'm ready if all goes to plan.

komsic27

Reaction score
How would you lot advise preparing for it best? I was thinking about doing 4 rounds of it 3 times a week with added core circuit do you recon that would be enough?

Griff149

Reaction score
Good stuff, best of luck. Keep us posted on how you get on! I'm going to run it again tomorrow and then inform my AFCO that I'm ready if all goes to plan.
Cheers mate! Just to touch on how long it takes to get a date, I applied last Monday and got a date for next Wednesday (June 10th). So not too long!

Good luck, it’s hard graft but just got to grit your teeth. Once you get to set 3 I think it’s then more of a mental thing.. If you get that far you can definitely finish it.

Griff149

Reaction score
How would you lot advise preparing for it best? I was thinking about doing 4 rounds of it 3 times a week with added core circuit do you recon that would be enough?
I’ve done a few different types of circuits to prepare - all in I’ve only actually done 3 practice attempts.

Couple things I’ve done below:

3 Rounds for time:
30 Burpees
40 Sit ups
30 Press ups
90s plank
6 pull ups
8 Hanging leg raises
60 mountain climbers

Or 60 min AMRAP:
20 Burpees
30 sit ups
20 press ups
60s plank
5 pull ups
8 hanging leg raises
60 mountain climbers
15 crunches

These two circuits added with practicing the actual thing once every 1/2 weeks has helped me massively. My first attempt I failed it (in my own time) and 3/4 weeks of doing this and I’m now able to complete it and am training to get to 4 rounds.

Quenners

Reaction score
There will plenty of more experienced people better placed than I to help you on here but for me, I'm trying to keep it specific. My particular area of struggle is my triceps burning coming off the press ups into the plank, so I'll do a VPJFT and finish by doing as many sets of 20 push ups into a minute plank as possible (with a minute rest after each) to build that up, 4/5 times per week (really trying to smash it over these couple of weeks!)

komsic27

Reaction score
Okay nice circuit that seems to be harder than the vPJFT. How many times a week do you do this? So would you recommend me doing a harder version of the vPJFT in preparation?

komsic27

Reaction score
There will plenty of more experienced people better placed than I to help you on here but for me, I'm trying to keep it specific. My particular area of struggle is my triceps burning coming off the press ups into the plank, so I'll do a VPJFT and finish by doing as many sets of 20 push ups into a minute plank as possible (with a minute rest after each) to build that up, 4/5 times per week (really trying to smash it over these couple of weeks!)
ah right sounds like a good idea. I might do the same but my problem is my front delts burning they’re on fire after the first round but I just grit it out and finish it.

Griff149

Reaction score
Okay nice circuit that seems to be harder than the vPJFT. How many times a week do you do this? So would you recommend me doing a harder version of the vPJFT in preparation?
My current plan is something along the lines of..
Monday: Run
Tuesday: AMRAP
Weds rest
Thurs: 3 rounds for time
Fri: run
Sat: Rest
Sunday: Vpjft attempt or run

Doing harder circuits will definitely help prepare you for the actual thing. Both of these I put together to specifically work shoulders and core to help build the endurance you need to get through it on the day

Reaction score
I’ve done a few different types of circuits to prepare - all in I’ve only actually done 3 practice attempts.
Or 60 min AMRAP:
20 Burpees
30 sit ups
20 press ups
60s plank
5 pull ups
8 hanging leg raises
60 mountain climbers
15 crunches
Did 50% of this (in time and reps) but without pull ups and hanging leg raises. Definitely a good workout for prepping the VPJFT+