Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

For anyone with lower back pain.

Discussion in 'Common Training Injuries' started by Cactus, Jul 14, 2014.

1. Cactus

Cactus Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    Always been given help when I've asked for it on here so I thought I'd give something back. Anyway lower back pain has been plaguing me for a week or 2 now and after speaking to a personal trainer at my local gym and him telling me lower back pain can be caused by tight hamstrings, I've been doing stretches for the last few days that loosen them up and improve flexibility along with some core exercises such as plank and bridge etc and the pain has gone after just 2 days. Apparently having tight hammies can mean that they pull the pelvis out of alignment which in turn pulls down on the lower back eventually weakening it because it has to work harder. Anyway I can already feel a difference after a few days stretching and occasionally applying a bit of deep heat to it. This worked for me so if you've been suffering from lower back pain whether it’s mild or severe then maybe give this a go as tight hamstrings may be the problem.

• Like Like x 5
  2. Léngth

Léngth Royal Marines Commando

Yep I had a similar thing, stretched my hip flexors (I think) every day for about 3 days by laying down and pulling each knee to my chest individually and then both at the same time, no more discomfort any more!

• Like Like x 2
  3. L4Isoside

L4Isoside Member

Yea, anterior pelvic tilt it sounds like you are referring you.

Quite common actually, good bit of stretching and working on the weak areas (e.g. abs) will have this sorted out.

I used to get a lot of lower back pain after heavy exercise etc when going to bed until I sorted it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Cactus

Cactus Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    I'll try this too, Ill use that tool Pendo posted to to fix my posture as it isn't very good at the moment

5. Xerath

Xerath Well-Known Member

I never used to stand up straight or pull my shoulders back, I was only conscious of it when my dad mentioned it one day. Since then I always tried to remember to stand up properly etc. and it becomes 2nd nature after a while

6. L4Isoside

L4Isoside Member

I had the same problem with upper back rounding, problem was trying to stand up straight then may my hips pulled back! Took a lot of work to sort out.

7. British Bullet

British Bullet Toilet

My lower back hurts in the left side if I turn my body to the left while keeping my legs still. Dunno what that means though haha

8. sid the sloth

sid the sloth Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Means you have got a bad back? Haha give your legs and back a stretch. Might help

9. anderson-1712

anderson-1712 Member

A few decent sessions of stretching and foam rolling the back and hammys and all was good. I found doing other lower back exercises other than deadlift have helped, light weight, high reps or even better body weight exersices

• Like Like x 1
  10. Cactus

Cactus Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    We're all different, I'm going to give all suggested a go, swimming is a good one for your lower back swell, just churn out breaststroke for 45 minutes to an hour and your back feels great after it.

11. Corona

Corona Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Thought I would bump this thread as I found it really helpful when recently my back suddenly went mental through what I believe to be crappy form, lack of stretching and bad posture. Seems to be on the mend now with the scatia, lower back pain stretches from the NHS website and a lot of hamstring stretches as suggested by this thread.

12. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

May I ask if you were diagnosed as having sciatica?
    Lower back pain and pain or tenderness in the back of the legs can be symptoms of strain to some gluteus muscles. Such strains can occur in those who engage in a lot of phys.

Just an observation. I'm not qualified to diagnose anyone.

• Like Like x 1
  13. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Make a conscious effort to work your core muscles. And be “conscious” of “tensing” your core when your sat/walking and be active with good posture but concentrate on using your core not your back.

If your anything like me, you use your back muscles more than your core. Thus creating an imbalance.

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  14. Corona

Corona Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Apologies I should've pointed out I was not diagnosed with sciatica, I was using those list of stretches as it covered everywhere that seemed to be associated with causing lower back pain such as the lower back itself, glutes and hamstrings. I'll ensure I don't forget the glutes as I feel those an area I haven't ever stretched as much as I should have after doing running/cardio and leg work.

Spot on, physio was saying that it seemed I was almost constantly using my back much more than I should have when I should have been engaging the core.

Thanks for the feedback both.

• Like Like x 1