For those that know about the Psychometric tests

Mr T

Reaction score
Hello gents,

Just a quick question for those of you, as stated in the title.

Everyone seems to say that only a minority of people that sat the tests with them passed or quite a few failed.
I received a booklet with my invitation to sit the tests that had some practice questions in.

I ve completed all the practice questions and I have found them relatively easy, so is there something I'm missing? are the real tests alot harder?

I would be pleased if someone could shed some light on this for me.

Thanks

Lshort1988

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hi, there are obviously some questions in the real thing which yeah, are much harder.. However i would say the main reason people fail is probably more to do with the ammount of questions within time limits for each section. Theyre nothing to worry about though its just to assess your intelligence so not really alot else you can do to prepare... Good luck

milky

Reaction score
i agree, the questions were fairly straight forward, its the time limit and the pressure of being there on the day that i see as an issue, everyone is different though. pm me if you want some more questions, downloaded a load the other week.

Mr T

Reaction score
Thats what I had in mind. I think what I will do is go through and answer the ones that will take very little time and then come back to the ones that will be challenging after I've done all the easy ones

Lshort1988

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
wouldnt worry about it that much, therell be ones youll just have to leave anyway cause you wont have time to come back to them if you do manage to complete all the others, think thats the main idea just make you answer under the pressure knowing you dont have enough time. just give it your best shot

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Without doubt, it's the very limited time which is the stumbling block.

If you were allowed to take the question book home (you're not!), you'd probably get them all correct. The thing to do is practice against the clock.

The questions do not get sequentially harder, so if you do not know an answer, just push on, don't dwell on it too long & get bogged down. You can always go back at the end if you have time. Spend no more than 18 secs per question in the first two sections, 32 seconds each question in maths & no more than 20 seconds each in the mechanical section.

Good Luck

lord_carl

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
My chief told me about phycometric tests you eighter have it or you dont he says hes seen people with strate As trying out for officers and simply failing on phycometric. Yet there are others like me who saw the classroom as a playground and a building yard for mayhem pass them with ease.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
I'd go along with what's been said- I came across a guy with a BSc 2:1 in Mechanical Engineering, who failed the Recruiting Test miserably & we've had tons of people academically qualified for Officer who cannot pass the Other Ranks Recruiting test for ANY trade within the Navy. I've lost count of those that did not pass a single GCSE & yet sailed through the Recruiting Test.

The test has remained unchanged since 1943 & the number of those passing remains largelly unchanged in 64 years, suggesting the population is no more clever or stupid than previously.

You can draw your own conclusions with the amount of qualifications people now have.