Forearm pain

Hellboy

Reaction score
Hi I was wondering if anybody could give advise about a pain I've been getting in my forearms while near the end of my set of push ups.

thirdtry

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Obligatory not a physio, can't conclusively diagnose etc etc.

However a mega common reason for forearm pain doing Press-Ups is due to the angle. Try and watch yourself doing some side-on in a mirror or film yourself and check. Forearms should stay 90° to the deck at all times even in the Down portion of the movement. A lot of people kind of 'rock' on their forearms which strains them.

mace

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Obligatory not a physio, can't conclusively diagnose etc etc.

However a mega common reason for forearm pain doing Press-Ups is due to the angle. Try and watch yourself doing some side-on in a mirror or film yourself and check. Forearms should stay 90° to the deck at all times even in the Down portion of the movement. A lot of people kind of 'rock' on their forearms which strains them.
The angle actually changes of your elbow as you go down. The elbow moves back towards the hips, opening up in the wrist which puts less pressure on it. Try actually maintaining a 90° position (proper chaturanga, no movement in the forearm) and you *text deleted* feel the difference. ;)

mace

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hi I was wondering if anybody could give advise about a pain I've been getting in my forearms while near the end of my set of push ups.
You need to have a proper warm up of the wrist joint, youtube wrist mobility/flexibility and start there. Also is your extensors (knuckle side) or flexors (palm side) that is hurting?

Hellboy

Reaction score
Thank you guys for the great response. I'll take all this on board

Murk

Reaction score
Just as a hijack, towards the end of a pull up session my forearms get really tight, is this wrist/elbow mobility issue or just normal lactic acid build up?

mace

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Just as a hijack, towards the end of a pull up session my forearms get really tight, is this wrist/elbow mobility issue or just normal lactic acid build up?
You need to be more specific as it depends on the area:
If it’s the palm side and you feel like it’s your grip giving up it can be lactic acid causing fatigue or your muscle’s endurance is not matching the required work volume. If it is the knuckle side it can be brachioradialis or if it’s pain and more towards the elbow: tennis or golf elbow. I overworked my brachioradialis a few weeks ago jumping from not doing more than 100 pull ups in a workout to straight into doing 200 in one so trust me you don’t want to be in the situation.

Normally if it’s just tightness, stretch it out for longer periods / massage it.
Throwing in some dead hangs, farmer carries, reverse curls, supination-probation exercises into your routine once or twice a week is definitely a good prehab strategy I think.
When you *text deleted* be hanging off ropes, beams and climbing you will thank yourself. Just like with everything else slowly build the reps up in a progressive manner.
If it’s a sudden, sharp pain in your elbow you’ve definitely done some damage so take it easy.

Murk

Reaction score
You need to be more specific as it depends on the area:
If it’s the palm side and you feel like it’s your grip giving up it can be lactic acid causing fatigue or your muscle’s endurance is not matching the required work volume. If it is the knuckle side it can be brachioradialis or if it’s pain and more towards the elbow: tennis or golf elbow. I overworked my brachioradialis a few weeks ago jumping from not doing more than 100 pull ups in a workout to straight into doing 200 in one so trust me you don’t want to be in the situation.

Normally if it’s just tightness, stretch it out for longer periods / massage it.
Throwing in some dead hangs, farmer carries, reverse curls, supination-probation exercises into your routine once or twice a week is definitely a good prehab strategy I think.
When you *text deleted* be hanging off ropes, beams and climbing you will thank yourself. Just like with everything else slowly build the reps up in a progressive manner.
If it’s a sudden, sharp pain in your elbow you’ve definitely done some damage so take it easy.
Yeah it’s definitely palm side and feels like fatigue tightness, so I think I’ll work in grip and forearm strength exercises. Cheers!

mace

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Go watch the wolf of Wall Street. The scene with when he tells him to pump those numbers up??

Pumping is indeed a great example for improving muscular endurance in the forearms through the repeated low intensity concentric contractions. Jerking off requires isometric contraction in the hand and the stroking motion as we all know mostly work on elbow flexion-extension, therefore, would improve the biceps’ endurance. Nevertheless, great exercise!