Former serving Aussie

Dasin90

Reaction score
Hello, first of all, thanks in advance for anyone able to assist with my enquiry.
I will briefly explain my background and situation.
I am currently 22, joined the Australian Army in The Infantry Corps at 18, and performed exceptionally throughout training. I spent 8 Months in Afghanistan 2009-2010 after which I completed the Recon course in which I was ranked number 1, and was subsequently posted to Recon Platoon. In the most recent Battalion held champion soldier competition I was placed 3rd (I was 20 at the time, 1 and 2 were both much older and more experienced soldiers).
All I say above has no intention of me coming across as arrogant, I just want to show that I was a capable operator.
Early 2011, I was preparing for Aussie SASR selection, however, I suffered a shoulder injury, and instead of going through the correct channels, I self medicated to treat my injury.
This violated the ADF's drug policy, and as a result I received an Administration discharge from the Army (Reason-Retention is not in the interest of the Defence force).
My job as a front line operator was my life, and I am very keen to continue in this line of work, and owing to the fact I am Australian/British Duel National, I am very keen to join The Royal Marines.
I would like any advice which might help me know how much my discharge will effect my application.
As a side note, I have copies of all my Exercise/training/operational reports, as well as the full file on my discharge to prove that I am not hiding any part of the reason for my discharge.
Thanks so much again for any help I can get.

Dasin90

Reaction score
Quick update, contacted overseas RM line.
Was emailed AFCO Form 5 (RN)[2]
According to this, the only requirement for former foreign army soldiers is a discharge certificate.
Any other advice or help will still be appreciated.
Cheers
D