Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Former UK Special Forces Operator Rescues Critically Ill Doctor From Mountainside

Discussion in 'Special Forces' started by Rover, Apr 28, 2019.

  1. Rover

    Rover Moderator

    Oct 23, 2008
    Former UK Special Forces Operator Rescues Critically Ill Doctor From Mountainside

    ‘Nims’ briefly put his world record attempt on hold to save the life of another climber.

    Julian Perreira

    27th April 2019 at 12:25pm


    Former Special Boat Service member Nirmal 'Nims' Purja MBE had been descending Mt Annapurna during his Guinness World Record breaking climb and made aware that another climber was lost on the mountain for two days and in grave danger.

    A rescue helicopter managed to spot the stricken climber. However, at an altitude of 26,545 feet, this was too high to land.

    Quick action was needed to save the climber's life, so Nims volunteered to tie himself under the helicopter to get to the casualty. Nims said:

    “Because the altitude is too great we had to do a ‘longline rescue’ literally hanging underneath the helicopter and are dropped close to the site."

    “We still had a long climb past Camp Four, the last base before the summit, and we realised that we had to work quickly.”


    The dramatic rescue took place on Mt Annapurna in the Himalaya’s - the world’s tenth highest mountain at 8,091 metres and considered the most deadly 8,000+ metre mountain, with one death for every three summits.

    This rescue happened during the initial stages of Nims' Guinness World Record attempt to climb 14 mountains in Seven months - the current record stands at seven years 11 months.


    Thanks to Nims quick actions leading the rescue team of four, they managed to move the 49-year-old injured doctor down from the summit to Base Camp Three - where the helicopter was now able to land. Nims said:

    “We were able to get Dr Chin to Camp Three where the helicopter came and he was taken straight to Kathmandu Hospital.

    “He is alive but still in a critical condition. I did go and visit him in hospital before I continue with the next part of my ‘Project Possible’. He is now with his wife and the medical experts and I wish him a good recovery.”

    This is not the first time that during a world record climb Nims has been involved in a rescue, Nims told us:

    “When I first started my training, it was geared to climbing Everest without oxygen.

    “In 2016 I was executing a solo attempt on Everest when I came across a fellow climber who had been passed by other climbers.

    “Being a Gurkha and a former member of the special forces, we never leave any man behind.”

    “I used everything I could to bring her below the ‘death zone’ for a rescue. I have never been that tired before.”

    Reaching the summit of Annapurna marked the start of the clock on this challenge. Nims said:
    • Like Like x 6
  2. westy

    westy Well-Known Member

    Apr 9, 2009
    This bloke is an absolute legend, I’ve been following his story on Instagram!! I even own a T-Shirt that was sold to help raise funds for his epic challenge :D