Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Forum future

Discussion in 'Site Issues, News and Developments' started by Ninja_Stoker, Dec 13, 2018.

1. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Just to update with regard the state of play with this site, the original Potential Royal Marines Commando forum:

It was offered (gratis) to the Corps back in June due to the fact that the site founder, @GreyWing wants to step back after creating the site, regularly updating the software, tirelessly maintaining it & hosting it, all at no cost...for 11 years.

The logic, for the forum, was to suggest Captain Naval Recruiting (CNR) Marketing take on the overheads, but the offer was declined back in May this year.

After speaking with Commando Training Wing in June, in the hope they would take it on, CNR Marketing had already stated the site software was not security accredited by MoD (despite it being more secure than the Royal Navy website) and that they weren't willing to invest to gain accreditation, finance web-hosting or administrative running costs.

As far as the service is concerned, there is still an official forum available on the RN website for those prepared to find it.

We have previously tried twice to help run that forum (2012/13 & 2016/17) but found it wasn't fit for purpose due to the fact it's invisible to Google, the software and appearance is at best, 'clunky' (but is security accredited) and comparatively few people visit it.

- Possibly they will in future.

Spin forward to October and I received a new job offer 250 miles closer to home, still within the Navy but outside of recruitment.

The upshot is that my job within recruitment finishes tomorrow, Friday (14th Dec) and I move to a new role for my last three years service.

The intention therefore, rather than have a drawn out process of pointless negotiation or high drama, is to simply switch off this forum on Friday 14th December and see what transpires.

Fully appreciate this will be unpopular with regular forum users, but the service holds the key with regard this site's future.

Rest assured it wasn't a decision taken lightly.

• Disagree. Disagree. x 1
  2. Rover

Rover Moderator

Rob many thanks to both you and GW for the time and effort that you have both given to this site.

I would like to think that the RN/RM would see the sense in keeping the PRMC site going. But regrettably I do not see that happening.-banghead-

• Like Like x 7
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 4
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 2
  3. Surfbum

Surfbum Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    For the very little time I have been on here I have been overwhelmed by the amount of support offered and it will be a huge loss for future candidates.

@Ninja_Stoker, although you alone have not run this site, I think I speak for everyone when I say that you have been an invaluable source of information and good mate to most.

I certainly hope that the future of this site is safe and the powers that be step in so to contain the fountain of knowledge it is.

Best of luck you mate and I wish you all the best in the future!

• Like Like x 6
  4. JayJ10255

JayJ10255 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    I found this site more beneficial than going to my afco, easy to use, everyone here for the same reason to help each other, great advice and information on the application process, PRMC and other elements around the RM. It will be truly missed by everyone, thank you to everyone involved who have kept this forum rolling for soo many years!

• Like Like x 3
  5. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

It was good while it lasted. Thanks to you all for the debate, the great information and suppprt over the years!!

Stay safe all! And have a great Christmas and a fantastic New Year!!

Ryan.

• Like Like x 11
  6. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

The biggest loser in all of this will be the Corps, but they're too stupid to realise it.:mad:

Alan

• Like Like x 10
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 5
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 1
  7. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Ah yes. The caviar munching bright idea fairies have outdone themselves this time.

Recruitment, retention and morale at rock bottom, and they are happy to turn off a pretty decent recruitment service, that we all contribute for free...

I am sure they will get on great with that god awful capita crap and faceless digital forms that no one likes.

Good effort you doorknobs.

What a shame. Cheers for your hard work though lad.

• Like Like x 8
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 6
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 4
    • Seen Seen x 1
  8. doggle

doggle Active Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Can’t believe I’ve just read this. This forum will be a huge miss...as a parent I’ve found it so helpful and supportive. It will be an even bigger miss to all those potential recruits who will have found the site invaluable.

Good luck, Ninja, in your new role. Your knowledge and advice on here has been first rate...as has Chelonian’s and Caversham’s and many many others.

• Like Like x 6
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  9. Boggy

Boggy Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    I only started looking at this forum in the summer, prior to our lad's PRMC and he is now in wk3 of RT, so it's been a very short but very agreeable contact. It's the only source I've found that tells it straight from the horse's mouth and there is an air of belonging to a'family' from the moment you join in. Thanks to everyone , especially those who manage the forum. I won't be holding my breath in the hope that the 'powers that be 'will intervene. Good Luck with the new job Ninja.
    Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year all.

• Like Like x 5
  10. Boggy

Boggy Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    PS @ThreadpigeonsAlpha , I feel you have maligned doorknobs as at least they are useful for something

• Like Like x 2
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  11. NO.SF&G

NO.SF&G New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Going through the application process this year this forum has been an invaluable source of information! Gutted to hear it's been put to the side.

When you say the forum will be switched off does that mean all info already up here will be gone with it or will it be viewable?

• Like Like x 1
  12. BillyTheKid

BillyTheKid Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Since joining, this forum has given me insight and answers I could not find on the RN page or on Google. It gave me a good sense of what it takes to join the RM. I'm saddened to hear thus but thank you to everyone who has replied to my posts/comments and those who have posted invaluable information and resources.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

There will just be a message saying offline.

The forum data will be retained offline, just in case.

• Like Like x 1
  14. KenDoll

KenDoll Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Thank you for your contributions to this forum, it has helped me massively during my application. It will be a huge loss of information to future applicants. I have never heard of their forum so there's a problem straight away and I start RT in the new year.

Regarding the Royal Navy website I find it frustrating to navigate and just give up. I'm sure there is some useful information on there if i could ever get to it!
    I could just be being dim, but its no where near as user friendly as this site.

• Like Like x 3
  15. HMW1722

HMW1722 Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    This has been the most useful website. I can't imagine going my lad going through training without the support of others. Is there anything we can do to help keep it going? Is there a name/address that we can write to, to say how invaluable it is?

• Like Like x 4
  16. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

On a personal note, before the lights are switched off I’d like to wish all forum users success and happiness for the future.

To those preparing for their PRMC you’ll now have more time to pull on your trainers and hit the road, so crack on. To Partners & Parents: remain buckled onto the rollercoaster and remember the power of tough love!

It’s been a privilege to have been associated with this forum and I thank you all.

• Like Like x 11
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  17. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

I agree with all on here. I have been a member for just shy of 10 years and have become involved beyond what I would ever imagined. It's been an absolute privilege to become acquainted with you all, firstly through the forum and then secondly, with some of the members, on a personal basis.

To echo @Chelonian's words, I also thank you all.

Alan

• Like Like x 9
    • Winner Winner x 2
  18. A350-800

A350-800 Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Just like to say a big thankyou to all who have helped me, I have learned so much from using this forum and it has been a wonderful and invaluable insight for general information about the corps, training injuries, help with application and overall a really fun thing to be a part of with lots of different viewpoints and information.
    Thankyou to all those who put in all their time and work into helping me and others, I will really miss visiting this site everyday but it's nice to know the information will still be available to view even if the forum is offline
    :)

• Like Like x 1
  19. MumOnEdge

MumOnEdge Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    This really is a sad post to read. I haven't been here long but it's been a great source of information and support and my son hasn't even got to training yet! This is the first place I look when I have a question.
    Thank you and good luck to all involved.

• Like Like x 1
  20. MumOnEdge

MumOnEdge Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    When it closes is there anyone we can contact to express the need for this forum? Could that help at all?

• Like Like x 1