Forum future

Tetley

Reaction score
So, back to Forum Future. i've only been here a short time so don't think I will eclipse @Ninja_Stoker's 35.5k messages and immense contribution. This site has been a great help in all sorts of ways. I'm only a little way into the full P&P roller coaster experience. To date my nod has navigated Zoom interviews, OPPDs, vPJFT, partial F2F medical, remote peak flow tests, two or three TMUs, ROP start date, deferred ROP start date, being turned away at the gate of CTC -nailbiting- (allowed in 3 hours later) passing ROP twice, gym pass out and now in the luxury of a nice trip to Dartmoor for Hunters Moon with a Morakniv. (Special thanks to @ThreadpigeonsAlpha @Rob20 @Advocado and others for their deeply worrying insight into the knife market)
Plenty more fun to come I am sure, more bumps in the road and the overwhelming feeling of fear and trepidation that one day, with a lot of work and some luck, my son could be working alongside some of you people. God help us all!
Too many to thank but notable entries go to @Chelonian @The guide @Johnny_Anonie @GreyWing.
@Ninja_Stoker good luck with the next chapter, to all potential Marines and POs good luck, keep working hard. P&Ps, I may bump into you on FB.

Flubberdog

Reaction score
I am so sad this forum is closing and wish everyone who was involved in its running @Ninja_Stoker And @GreyWing as well as so many other friends all the very best.

It has been an interesting journey following the site with my son passing out as one of the YO 2018 batch and now just arrives back at CTC in a training role.

It has been great sharing experiences of partners and parents, but most of all, these astonishing young men and women who will form the future of the Corps.

Bless you all!

Stroll147

Reaction score
This forum will genuinely be missed, the RM should consider running it as they are genuinely going to lose a lot from not taking this on - it has helped me immensely over the last year or so, as it has with 1000s of others!

Stroll147

Reaction score
@Ninja_Stoker have you considered starting a fb group and directing everyone over there, then the forum can potentially live in without all the time, costs etc.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
It would undermine persec.
The only way that could work is if people had a duplicate, anonymous FB profile, something which FB is supposedly dead-set against.

If I were to create a FB group, then the danger is it would be seen as generated from official service sources and as I'm retiring, it's really up to others if they wish to start a group. One caution I would add is that although in principle it seems quite logic, the people likely to instigate an unofficial group are probably only going to be interested at the application stage, once they join, if successful, they are not going to have the time available to manage it adequately - believe me, running a social media site is incredibly labour-intensive if you want it to be accurate, credible and adequately moderated.

Chelonian

Reaction score
@Ninja_Stoker has beaten me to it. Nothing new there then. :)

He and others on this forum have invested significant amounts of time and other resources to keep it operational. Although a Facebook page does not necessarily require the same amount of infrastructure support it would still require significant moderation time.

Funnily enough the 'behind the scenes' environment on this forum can sometimes be quite busy. A controversial post or thread is often discussed at some length before a unified decision is reached so that the forum respects free speech while also having a zero tolerance attitude to offensive content, lack of decency and discourtesy. Obviously these factors are often subjective. Sometimes it is a tricky balancing act.

Aside from recruitment the forum also delivers welfare support to Parents & Partners of candidates and Recruits. The P&P sub-forum has thrived for many years; much of the mutual support and reassurance provided by the P&P community itself. Amazing people, some of whom I've had the privilege to speak with or meet over the years.

Welfare issues the forum cannot help with are directed to Royal Navy Family and People Support team or other appropriate agencies. The forum's partner agencies have been very supportive, often dealing discreetly with sensitive issues so that they are resolved satisfactorily. So a big 'thank you' to RN F&PS, particularly to Clare Sharpe at CTCRM.

HMW1722

Reaction score
I would also like to add my thanks to all who have run and contributed to this forum. It was such a help when my son was applying. Without it, I am not sure we would have found out that the P in PMU although it stands for permanent, doesn't actually mean permanent. Our son almost ended up in the Merchant Navy but with advice from here he appealed the PMU & 3 weeks later was passed fit to proceed & is now serving as a RM. The site was invaluable in both knowing what he was doing during training & gaining some understanding of how tough it is.

I hoped that there may be another reprieve for site, as it was so useful for parents & potential recruits, it does seem a shame it is closing.

Wishing you a long and happy retirement @Ninja_Stoker & thank you to you and the moderators and the other regular contributors.

Xerath

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Only just seen this, I'd like to thank everyone who helped me with any questions I had when I was in the application process, and further into my Army career when I was unsuccessful with the RM. It was a great 10 years and met some great lads, some who I still talk to to this day 7 years on.

All the best

Duracell Bunny

Reaction score
Thankyou to all who have contributed to this forum. It will be a real shame when it goes offline. I know I echo what so many others have already said in that I have gained so much from the forum in terms of knowledge. Hoping to continue gaining as much more as I can from it before it’s gone forever.

Lvv96

Reaction score
I'm working on making an offline copy. If it works then it'll have all the posts and external links that I have access to, but able to be viewed regardless of if the forum is down or not.
I can compress it and post the link to download it on the royal marines reddit page, but I don't know how long it'll take to copy the whole forum... its quite large.

If that doesn't work maybe the reddit suggestion is a good one: anonymous accounts, you can follow people and posts, you can share images/comments/links to external sites, and you can upvote and downvote just like on here too.
It would take a while to build up the amount of knowledge thats on here but a couple of posts about the major things like the recruitment process, the stages of training, and things like arny's plan, would definitely be a good start.

Lvv96

Reaction score
I'm working on making an offline copy. If it works then it'll have all the posts and external links that I have access to, but able to be viewed regardless of if the forum is down or not.
I can compress it and post the link to download it on the royal marines reddit page, but I don't know how long it'll take to copy the whole forum... its quite large.

If that doesn't work maybe the reddit suggestion is a good one: anonymous accounts, you can follow people and posts, you can share images/comments/links to external sites, and you can upvote and downvote just like on here too.
It would take a while to build up the amount of knowledge thats on here but a couple of posts about the major things like the recruitment process, the stages of training, and things like arny's plan, would definitely be a good start.
Scrap the offline copy idea.
The vast majority of this website is already archived on the wayback machine: https://web.archive.org/web/20210423213635/https://www.royalmarines.uk/

Reaction score
Just wanted to add my sincere thanks to everyone, and especially the founders, moderators, contributors and fellow parents for the invaluable information and support my son and I have gained from the forum. Very sad to see it close, but totally understand the reasons for doing so. Wishing Ninja a very happy, healthy and long retirement.