Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Forum future

Discussion in 'Site Issues, News and Developments' started by Ninja_Stoker, Dec 13, 2018.

1. Harleydavidson17

Harleydavidson17 Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Just to add to all the previous comments - can't quite believe this is happening - genuinely my husband and I would have dropped off this mortal coil without this forum during our son's training. It was such an honour and privilege to meet Ninja, Caversham, Chelonian, Mumto Mum, Channing etc at the Commando Challenge in October. I was interviewed at my sons pass out on 9/11/18 by the RN and asked what had helped us through our journey - only one answer of course - the forum. As others have said anything we can do , anyone we can speak to please let us know. Meantime can I add our best wishes to Ninja in his new job. Best wishes too to all our other trained mentors and parents, partners, nods and RMs - its been blast as they say!

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Short version:

Apologies for the break in transmission, we're back! :)

Long Version:

Firstly, my sincere apologies for any consternation caused through poor communications.

Essentially @GreyWing & I have an agreement that once my contract within recruitment finished, we would both step back from running the forum and offer it to the Corps for free.

GreyWing has never sought or wanted payment for his input but suggested that I may in future use the site as a potential minor additional income source in a consultant role, if required by the service upon my retirement.

Following my switch of roles within the service, but outside of recruiting, my intention was to step back and give the Corps the option to run the site, advising of the operating costs.

Not realising the fuller implications and not wishing to cause a furore, I reasoned it was best just to do it swiftly, without a fuss.

I got that bit wrong.

Within hours of announcing our intention we've been inundated with messages of support and offers of assistance to keep the site going. That wasn't our intention, but it was nevertheless a humbling experience.

Not once did I consider that (probably) parents or partners would feel strongly enough to Tweet the higher echelons of the service and probably the Queen, the Pope, the EU and Donald. As @arny01 rightly remarked, "The highest rank in the Armed Forces is civvy. Boyo".

One of the things that became very clear, speaking to CTW and your good selves, is the site became so popular and effective due to the fact it is completely independent of the service, so whilst fully supportive, we all have the freedom to express ourselves how we see it. Good or bad. If the site was funded through service sources it would become official and have to toe the service view, which isn't always in the best interests of our users.

Anyway. After numerous phonecalls, messages and WhatsApp ping-pong with GreyWing into the wee small hours, we've decided to press forward, as is.

My new job involves some elements of recruiting support and I'll be working in the same building as my colleagues and friends in recruitment. In addition, @CHUB! is a serving careers adviser and is also here to help correct stuff I may get wrong if things have changed. More than ever, the "Check with your AFCO" strapline in my signature block remains vitally important.

"Right, what shall I say?" I asked GreyWing.
    "Just tell them the truth" replied GreyWing.
    "Whaaaat?! But, but ... they'll know I'm an idiot" :(
    "They already do, lad. They already do." :)

Sorry.

• Winner Winner x 23
    • Like Like x 6
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 6
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  3. Rover

Rover Moderator

There is a SANTA CLAUS....:cool:

Welcome back one and all.:):):):):):):)

• Like x 9
    • Hoofin x 2
    • Gen Dit x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Nailed It x 1
  4. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

Brilliant news!

Alan

• Like Like x 6
  5. BLM

BLM Active Member

App Stage:
    Partner
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  6. Morticia

Morticia Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Fantastic news! Thank you for sorting this Ninja and GreyWing, it means so much to everyone going forward with applications and RT.
    Merry Christmas!

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. BLM

BLM Active Member

App Stage:
    Partner
    @Ninja_Stoker I am certain that all of us here would gladly donate to keep this site going AND to provide you with an additional retiring source of income, it is the right thing to do. Very relieved

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  8. Surfbum

Surfbum Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Great......now I have to find my little speech and delete it so I don't look like a complete tool ;):D!

Good to be back!

• Like Like x 2
    • Seen Seen x 1
  9. Pez1962

Pez1962 Well-Known Member

Brilliant welcome back all. Normal service can resume. Xx

• Like Like x 3
  10. Saz

Saz Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Partner
    It’s like xmas morn!

I love this forum!! And whether it was an official one or not you would still get my honest rambling on.

But as a side note I hope it doesn’t become official as the official one is so :mad: - insert own swear words -

That was a tough 24 hours folks! Now as you were

Has anyone awoken TPA to this wonderful news!

• Like Like x 3
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 3
  11. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

He doesn't like to be disturbed while he's mixing his breakfast granola. :)

• Like Like x 5
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 3
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  12. Rover

Rover Moderator

Well the news has reached those places other news never reaches......o_O:)

Normal service has resumed..jpg

Normal service has resumed.;);):cool:

• Like Like x 3
  13. Wings

Wings Parachute Regiment

Awesome too hear met about 7 potential paras on here been good

• Like Like x 2
  14. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

Yes Boyo!! :D:D:D:D Nice one!

• Hoofin Hoofin x 4
  15. channing26

channing26 Active Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Awesome news xx phew our family has resumed!
    Thank you to everyone involved in sorting this out. Looking forward to hearing everyone's news xx
    Onwards and upwards
    @Ninja_Stoker @GreyWing @arny01 @Chelonian - Thank you!
    @Chelonian It doesn't get you out of wearing a Ninja Worriers t.shirt in October!!!

• Like Like x 2
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 2
  16. Boggy

Boggy Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Thankyou @GreyWing and @Ninja_Stoker , very grateful to have this forum back. I agree with @BLM 's comment on funding - this is too good a resource ,for anyone with an interest in the Corps , to let it drop. I would add though, it could be the best financed project on the internet and be useless without the enthusiasm , professionalism and hard graft people like you put into it. Ninja, if you are an 'idiot' you are everyone's favourite idiot so keep up the good work

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  17. Illustrious

Illustrious Royal Marines Commando - Moderator

• Hoofin Hoofin x 13
    • Like Like x 5
  18. Moonduster

Moonduster Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Wasn’t supposed to do that... great news obviously!!!

Well done everyone!

• Like Like x 1
  19. R

R Well-Known Member

images(15).jpg
    Bang on!

• Like Like x 3
  20. wes3

wes3 Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Oh thank god. There isn’t enough chocolate in the world to cope without everyone here.
    Great work and a massive massive thank you.
    Merry Christmas to everyone xxx

• Like Like x 6
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1