Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Forum future

Discussion in 'Site Issues, News and Developments' started by Ninja_Stoker, Dec 13, 2018.

1. Pez1962

Pez1962 Well-Known Member

We on the p & p section definitely provide welfare support as well as information. You can see this every day of the week.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  2. Moonduster

Moonduster Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    As the p&p section is hidden from all non p&p the amazing support service that it provides can only be guessed at by the powers that be. I'm sure the RM Welfare group do a magnificent job but this forum would always be my first port of call and it hasn't disappointed so far!

• Nailed It Nailed It x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

I’m sure the admin saved by the Welfare dept at CTC alone, warrants the existence of this forum.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 1
  4. Illustrious

Illustrious Royal Marines Commando - Moderator

I do think the welfare dept should have eyes on as they can forward on all sorts of information, such as family events etc

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  5. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

Surely that's something we can look at?

Alan

• Like Like x 2
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  6. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Agreed. I've dropped a couple of hints previously to Clare Sharpe when I've spoken with her but a more official approach might be fruitful both for the forum and the Welfare Office.

Whenever I've asked a question I've emphasised that an answer on the P&P forum might save her having to field about a dozen identical questions from individuals.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Moonduster

Moonduster Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    I was surprised that the forum wasn't mentioned at all on Families Day... in hindsight I should have asked a question which brought the subject of the forum up (or just mentioned it myself!) as I'm sure the majority of p&ps remain blissfully unaware.

• Disagree. Disagree. x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
    • Seen Seen x 1
  8. lilsis

lilsis Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Maybe a parent or partner who is going to families day tomorrow could mention it if they feeling brave enough too

• Like Like x 4
  9. Caversham

Don't be overawed by CTC. If you have a question or concern then raise it, preferably with someone who has clout!

Alan

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Fleet98

Fleet98 Active Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Clare Sharp will probably do a welfare talk so do you think she could mention the forum? Just a thought!

• Like Like x 3
  11. Caversham

Of course! As @Chelonian has pointed out, this forum solves more welfare problems than her office, purely because of the immediate access that it provides to P&Ps.

Alan

• Like Like x 2
  12. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Hopefully we can brief Welfare about this forum's existence and the contribution it might make in future.

I've had some personal contact about basic stuff such as Recruit Troop numbers (often a guessing game if a Troop is cancelled) and Families Day but, quite rightly, Clare is reluctant to divulge much to some random bloke (me).

In summary, this forum has a well established track record and the forging of closer contact can only benefit all concerned.

• Like Like x 2
  13. channing26

channing26 Active Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    As great as the welfare is, sometimes speaking to P&P's who have gone or are going through the same as you makes it more personal with shared experiences. I have to be honest this is my first port of call xx

• Like Like x 6
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  14. Saz

Saz Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Partner
    There is a very active welfare group on Facebook for 40 cdo, it’s brilliant , maybe try and entice Daz to join forum and be a link to welfare

My own welfare office by his own admission is a technophobe

• Hoofin Hoofin x 3
  15. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

I think there is a natural resistance to "publish" advice in case it comes back to haunt the individual. I do understand this and the service beats people about the head with the evils of social media and the need for personal security to make them fully alert, savvy and aware. Senior Officers used to have kittens when they realised I was using social media to recruit and bluntly telling people how it really was if they were out of order. Many is the time I was hauled-in for a rebrief ;)

The easy solution therefore is to do nothing on social media and simply point the finger at those who seemingly live their lives on instagram, snapchat, faceache, youtube etc., as evil incarnate who "need to get a life" and live in the "real world". They'll then do a Google search to find an answer to a query on guess what? Yip, social media.

Like most things, in moderation, there's plenty of good stuff out there. Trouble is there's utter nonsense too.

The only reason I became involved in social media was because there was so much utter crap being spouted about joining the Armed Forces and those working in recruitment were always the villain of the piece, completely beseiged by criticism. It became rather cathartic to bite back at self-proclaimed SMEs and tell them they were talking crap and at least try to actually help people trying to join rather than simply slag-off those trying to recruit.

Similarly, having the courage to help people by giving correct advice at a time they need it most is something I believe Welfare should consider undertaking, whatever the most popular and effective medium of communication available. One generic solution to a problem expressed on a searcheable social media platform such as a forum (and not Facebook, Twitter) can help thousands, not just one...that's one of the reasons I sometimes get a bit arsey when people private message a generic query that isn't personal or private and could benefit others.

Bottom line is if there's generic help and advice that can help the masses by being published on widely-used, searchable social media, then it undoubtedly reduces the number of time-consuming one to one phonecalls in a busy office.

@Saz, is Daz a matelot or bootneck?

• Like Like x 5
  16. Andy2hips

Andy2hips Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Slightly late to the party but wahey so pleased we are back. Cold turkey had a new meaning for a while :) :):):);)

• Like Like x 2
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1