Forum future

Kingsman

Reaction score
Since 2013, having been through 2 failed PRMCs, a few years in the Army, a passed PRMRC and time in RMR Training, the forum has been pretty consistent in its support and advice. Was looking forward to posting a thank you to all the great people that have been so helpful once I'd hopefully gotten my green lid, but after the number of failures and mistakes I've learnt from, hopefully this time I will

Something that I've thought about and learnt from being a trained rank in another branch of the military and from ex elite forces I've spoken to whilst serving, was that whilst you need to have confidence in your ability from training and practice, never think of yourself as the best or elite.

I think it was former Commandant of training at CTC, Colonel Ian Moore who said "I'm always rather concerned when I hear the word elite because it always assumes something, and that assumption can never be made; you have to go on keeping yourself good, day after day, year after year, and as soon as an organisation starts calling itself good, it almost always starts to go downhill. We must be constantly striving to be competent, we must be confident in their competence and we can never afford to be complacent".

Even if you're blessed enough to get in the corps, paras or even pass sf selection, there's still hundreds of thousands of commandos and special forces across the world that have done equally as difficult training as you, whether it's US SEALs, Russian Spetsnaz, Jordan's KASFG, Iraqi SOF, Indian Paras, Pakistans SSG, Australias 2nd Commando and so many more. Put your assumptions aside and don't look down on anyone because it'll only be to your detriment. They say you join a brotherhood when you join an elite unit, but really it's an international brotherhood and that can only be a good thing; the competition is necessary for people to do better.

Basically, stay humble and get on with it.

Endex

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I’m at a loss for words. But I will say that it’s not just recruits that this forum has helped.
When I left the regulars I had struggled with various things and this forum had offered the humour and camaraderie that I had missed from the Corps and it actually felt good to pass on what knowledge and experience I had to offer. It was refreshing and invigorating to see new lads, and ladies both young and old coming here for information about the corps.

Plus it was a great place to rant, although I’d like to say I’m not a total angry miserable bstard all the time. I’m gutted I was always too busy to come down and support the guys for the Commando Challenge and hopefully that tradition continues as soon as Covid goes.
Hopefully those of us who have been chatting can keep in touch and meet up after covid to sink a few cheeky pints.

This is sadly another example of a failing from the chain of command to let this forum slip. It was essentially free labour of us giving our time. Although I actually agree with it ending on a high. Plus I’m struggling to motivate other people about the Corps when I have my own gripes. Maybe it’s time to turn the page and start a new chapter.

It’s been a good laugh though.

edit: I would like to add that having been a member of various forums over the years, seeing the decline of them because of Facebook and social media, I think it speaks volumes that we have a thriving forum and space to discuss not just the Corps and aspirations but other issues aswell.

I might take a step over to the dark side and join the paras forum at some point...

Last edited:
Reaction score
Many thanks Ninja for this forum, it has been a huge help to me and i'm certain for many others.
Is there any chance we could create an unofficial forum, a sort of "fan-page" to carry on your legacy, that way we could still get valuable information. would that be legal?

Lvv96

Reaction score
Such a shame, I'm not active on the forums much anymore but when I was in the process of joining and during my time in RT the forums proved invaluable.
Thank you for all your time and effort that has gone into it, hopefully there's someway to archive it all so that the information on here isn't lost forever.

pippalab

Reaction score
Thank you for all the support and information given to someone who had zero knowledge about how RT would pan out. Added to the fact that information from my Nod was sparse to say the least! It was so helpful when my Nod was hospitalised in the early days and led me to contact the medical team working on him. I too have made a lot of unseen friends.
I truly hope you enjoy your retirement and thank you once again.

Mumma23

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Huge thanks to the moderators and contributers. The forum has been invaluable, when my son first applied, during RT, and even now that he's passed out. Have made some great friends thanks to this forum. I've said many times that I can't imagine how those P and Ps that don't find the forum manage to get through the training as they are doing it blind. Huge thanks again to all.

Cheezy hammy eggy

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Such sad news that the forum is folding, this site has helped countless potential nods, nods, P&P’s and Corps lads over the years.
I was a late forum joiner back in 2018 when my 17 yr old stepped onto the platform at CTC, I have enjoyed the banter, sharing of quality info, and hints and tips of how to cope with the ups and downs of RT as a parent.
A massive thank you to @GreyWing @Ninja_Stoker @Chelonian @Johnny_Anonie plus all other mods and contributors.
It just leaves me wish you all the best for the future, Rob, a very happy retirement shippers!
Gods speed.
Steve.

Sprint0205

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Massive thank you to all the mods on this forum. The advice I've been given on here really has made a massive difference to my training, as I'm sure it has for many, many others. It's very sad to see such a great community go. Thank you all

Johnny2013

Reaction score
Such a shame I’ve only recently become a member. My son is just Gone back to lymphstone after his first two weeks leave. He started training in January. He is so positive and enthusiastic i now know deep down he has made the right decision. I was so sceptical as he gave up his commission as a naval officer to become a marine. Can anyone shed any light on when his next leave will be and also when his passing out parade will be ? I am trying to plan my leave to coincide with his. TIA

D47M0R

Reaction score
Don't know what to say. This forum really helped me make my mind up on wanting to join and deciding I'm definitely going to apply.

It has been immensely useful in what to expect from life in the Royal Marines and Recruit Training.

While I didn't post very often... this forum was my first port of call to search for answers to questions I might have.

Such a shame to lose such a useful bank of information and such a helpful group of people who gave up their free time to answer others questions.

As I said in my intro post - thank you to everyone who put their time in to answer others questions, and made this forum what it was.

I will miss it!

As Douglas Adams might have said: "So long, and thanks for all the dits" ;)

EmLouWat

Reaction score
This is really sad news. This site has been so invaluable to me as a parent (sitting awake and searching about what goes on on Baptist Run etc).

To be able to say to my Nod that how he feels is how everyone has felt on training has been a huge benefit. Such a shame that CTC don't wish to continue with the forum - its a huge loss.

Agree with the comments that the Royal Navy forum is not easy to navigate at all.

Chelonian

Reaction score
Can anyone shed any light on when his next leave will be and also when his passing out parade will be ? I am trying to plan my leave to coincide with his. TIA
Can't predict anyone's KSPO but Summer Leave is on the link below. We'll add dates through to Easter 2022 in a few days.

Mr D

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Can't really add to what's been said by many contributors previously, sad times indeed, been a not so great year up to now with this news and the passing of Alan but I doubt anyone will not remember in fondness the people on this forum because that's what we all are,People with lives,issues both good and bad /not a "bot" behind an amalgam but real folk from all walks of life that the likes of NS, Cav, GW,Chel and many others brought together under one roof.
Personally I like others have made what I consider to be lifelong friends from this forum and that without doubt would not have been possible without the graft that has been put in day n day out by the above.
Thanks guys for all the help and advice you have given to many,many young lads that have no doubt not only bettered themselves but more importantly the human race in a time when we need stand out young people.

Happy retirement to all,you've earned it.

Collieryboy

Reaction score
I must agree with TPA, seems like stupidity for the corps not to take this forum on, it's given them many quality members over the years by the help of others. Seems like very low hanging fruit.
I started on here as a young kid looking to join. Although life never quite got out the way long enough for me to join, I always enjoyed reading through. Feels sort of like I've grown up with this forum. I'll be sad to see it go. I hope to see many of you on the paras.uk forum, it's a quality place with an excellent community. Even if it's just for the social side. It will stand on the shoulders of this forum for the future.
Enjoy your retirement @Ninja_Stoker and thanks for all the help you've given over the years.
Thank you too @GreyWing ,
Thank you to everyone else I've interacted with over the years. It's been a pleasure.

DJANGO

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Gutted that it’s closing, this is the best forum going! Well done Ninja and greywing and all the other mods and other members for making it what it is!

Can’t be coincidence that the closure is the same day the pubs are supposed to be properly back to normal though hmm

Mosquito

Reaction score
As everyone has said already, this forum for myself and many others has proven an invaluable training tool to many Royal Marine hopefuls, be it with exercise routines, joining information, or the occasional dit from a trained rank that really sells the whole thing to you.

It'll be sad to see this place close. But before it does, a massive thank you to @Ninja_Stoker @GreyWing and all the other staff that kept it running for so long. As I sit here this evening copying down as much information as possible into separate Word documents, it's safe to say I'm more than prepared with all this info. I've even saved the "kit after training" thread so I can kit myself out in all that gucci gear when I get to a unit ;)

Best of luck to everyone for the future, and hopefully those of us looking to get through training reach our goals!