Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Forum users

Discussion in 'Jollies Bar' started by Steph, May 11, 2019.

1. Steph

Steph New Member

I know there are lots of guest visitors, people who view the site, find the answer to their query, but don't contribute as this is such a brilliant resource. The parent and partner section is, I understand, quite busy and very supportive, but is it just me or is the forum quieter than ever before.

2. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

It does seem slightly quieter on the main forum and as you point out the P&Ps are quite busy, due mainly to them seeing their sons/partners off after leave and two new Troops starting.

We also do not now receive the results of the PRMC, which used to generate quite a bit of discussion.

The answer? You'll have to post more Steph!

Alan

• Like Like x 6
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 1
  3. westy

westy Well-Known Member

I’m not sure it’s recovered from when it was closed a few months ago, I don’t know if there’s any way of advertising it better to bring people back?

• Like Like x 2
  4. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

It fluctuates. I believe that forum usage often peaks if a TV show about Recruit Training is aired. Also, during the Op Herrick years forum usage was high.

As referenced by @Caversham the Partner & Parent sub-forum completely flatlines when CTCRM is on leave for obvious reasons.

Not so long ago I spoke with the marketing director of an organisation which sells military kit because a query had arisen on the forum about a specific product. I mentioned the forum and while we spoke he clicked through to the home page and viewed the numbers about users. His gulp was audible when he realised the potential reach of this forum. It's niche but nothing compares, as Sinead O'Connor once crooned.

• Like Like x 5
  5. Steph

Steph New Member

I will do my best :)

• Like Like x 2
  6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Having a perusal at our stats on Google analytics, we had about half a million visitors over the last year and average about 1500 unique visits a day. The average visitor uses a mobile device and only stays online just under four minutes.

There tends to be a cyclic number of visitors over the academic year - quiet at the moment (exam season), busy in August/Sept (results), quiet in December, picks up again in Jan (resolutions?).

The time spent on the site has reduced over the last year as have contributions, by about 8%. Arguably most questions have been asked before and the irony is that despite users saying "use the search function", people are clearly getting the answers to their Googled questions without having to ask.

Having visited CTC this last week, we have full support and may well see an interest in site activity if we come under their guardianship over the coming months. From our perspective, nothing changes. But hopefully the slight change in tack, with CTC endorsing the forum for those yet to join and indeed the parents and partners of those in training may well see an upsurge in future contributions.

• Like Like x 4
  7. 03092014

03092014 Royal Marines Commando

I think its also a reflection on the current state of recruitment across the Corps and wider armed forces. Everyone is down on numbers.

• Like Like x 2
  8. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I took a break from the forum, I was struggling to find the enthusiasm and morale to encrouage other people.

I just plodded along with my own RMR rubbish.

Has it really been quiet lately?

• Like Like x 2
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  9. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Concerned about your absence I travelled to the far north (Ilfracombe) seeking proof of life.

You've got some catching up to do. Enjoy. :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 2
  10. ex killick

ex killick Ex-Matelot

Even I was dug up!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Box

Box Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Apologies in advance for piggy backing onto this thread - I'm not sure how to initiate a fresh one.
    I'm feeling a bit miserable tonight. My nod is doing great, really, really well and he seems to have landed on his feet in choosing the Royal Marine Commandos as his career. He succeeds at the criteria tests, has exam results in the high 90's, gets on well with his troop and well, he just loves it.
    My worry is further down the line. Once he completes his training, and begins to use the skills he is learning, and progresses from a young man who hasn't experienced the full spectrum of humanity to a man who begins to realise that he will have to do things for which he will have to reconcile himself to later- how will he manage?
    I had one of those conversations today, which I imagine many here have encountered, where I was told of yet another Royal Marine who had quit a successful career in the forces after struggling with the realities and was now an alcoholic, living in a caravan and struggling with PTSD.
    I just don't know how to feel when I think of my son's long term prospects. How does anyone else cope?

• Like Like x 1
    • Seen Seen x 1
  12. physiomum

physiomum Active Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    @Box been thinking exactly the same these last few days. Not helped by reading both Foxy and Ollie’s books (SAS-WDW) and feel a bit fearful:(

• Like Like x 1
  13. Caversham

Welcome back TPA! Nobody has really put their head that much above the parapet to warrant a full blown search for you, but good to have you back in the fold.

Alan

• Like Like x 2
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 1
  14. MumtoRM

MumtoRM Moderator

• Like Like x 1
  15. A350-800

A350-800 Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    It's nice to see you back again :)

• Like Like x 1
  16. Box

Box Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Can any of the serving/ex servicemen and women on the forum, offer their experiences?

17. Caversham

Without wishing to dwell too much on what's gone before, it's suffice to say that your young Royal will see things in his career that the average person will not. At the moment though there are not any large scale operations going on, which to some is good, but others not so. Rest assured that if something does kick off the Corps will be at the pointy end within a short space of time.

It's a fact that I have raised several times on here that the young men who enter the gates of CTC are not there to solely learn how to iron and fold and attain peak physical fitness, they are there to learn how to kill people. However, that training makes them good at what they do and puts them amongst the most respected servicemen in the world.

Whatever comes his way, rest assured that he will receive some of the finest support going. The Royal Marines Charity is just starting to have built a new centre to offer support for those serving and former RMs who suffer from the effects of the work that they undertake.

https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/news/local-news/royal-marines-charity-begins-building-2934017

Hopefully others will have more to contribute than what I can.

Alan

• Nailed It Nailed It x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  18. Box

Box Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Thank you.

I am under no illusions as to what the requirements of the job will be, and that my nod will face them with professionalism and with a strong sense of duty.
    When we cheer him on, congratulate, and encourage, it is to one end: that he will do his job, and survive, both physically and mentally.
    He is being trained for this and I support him wholeheartedly. My trust is in the Forces to prepare my son as fully as possible, however as a civilian person giving that support I often feel desperate and impotent.
    Thankfully, this forum really does help. Neither wrapping in cotton wool, nor assuming prior knowledge, it helps to provide the support I need which will in turn, enable me to support my nod and continue to give him the support he enjoys now, and will seek in the future.
    Thank you for giving me your support.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Disagree. Disagree. x 1
  19. westy

westy Well-Known Member

Do you or anyone you know have any contact with the ex RM? Try and get them in touch with Rock2Recovery, I’ll dig there phone number out and PM it to you

20. Box

Box Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Thank [email protected] He is a friend of a worried friend. I will certainly pass on any details which could be of help.