Fractured Ankle - Advice

Private_Ryan

Reaction score
Fractured my ankle week 3 of ROP, been told to rest for 2 months obviously. Then start a couch to 5k programme. I'm looking to rejoin in Jan onwards, is there anything I can do to prevent further injury, and how would I go about furthering training. Any advice at all would be much appreciated.

Johnny_Anonie

Reaction score
It was a stress fracture and I'm only wearing a brace.
I'd be working on ankle plantarflexion and dorsiflexion in order to strengthen the calf above.
Without movement of the ankle you are going to be unable to get rid of waste material in the joint, so it'll be gathering up and swelling up too.

Plantarflexion = pointing of the toes towards the floor
Dorsiflexion = pointing the toes up towards the roof. It’ll help keep muscle wastage at bay and will strengthen the calf which will help support you once the fracture is healed. Best of luck with the recovery!

Private_Ryan

Reaction score
I'd be working on ankle plantarflexion and dorsiflexion in order to strengthen the calf above.
Without movement of the ankle you are going to be unable to get rid of waste material in the joint, so it'll be gathering up and swelling up too.

Plantarflexion = pointing of the toes towards the floor
Dorsiflexion = pointing the toes up towards the roof. It’ll help keep muscle wastage at bay and will strengthen the calf which will help support you once the fracture is healed. Best of luck with the recovery!
Thank you, I appreciate this.

smashlegs

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that this has happened to you and I hope you have a speedy recovery!

In regards to ROP, what was it that directly caused the issue? From my knowledge ROP is meant to be gradual in all aspects to prevent injury’s such as these, or any injury really. Obviously you can’t completely eliminate the chance, was it something that you went down with?

Private_Ryan

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that this has happened to you and I hope you have a speedy recovery!

In regards to ROP, what was it that directly caused the issue? From my knowledge ROP is meant to be gradual in all aspects to prevent injury’s such as these, or any injury really. Obviously you can’t completely eliminate the chance, was it something that you went down with?
That's what the physio has guessed, that I've had an Injury before I got there, over the course of a week I developed a limp, and after a good few sprints then followed by a major 'extra phys', we ran back to camp and I could no longer put pressure on it.

Thank you!