free time in training?

JustLift

Reaction score
Hi lads whats free time like whilst training, im bodybuilding but i know ill have to lose a lot of size when i join will i be able to take resistant bands with me and use them in any free time in an attempt to stim the muscles to maintain some muscle? cheers

Advocado

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
You can take resistance bands if you want but all they'll do is sit at the back of your locker collecting dust.

Free time in training is spent sleeping, revising/updating your affairs folder or squaring your kit away and doing your admin. Anyone who prioritises sculpting their guns before any of that does not belong in the corps.

In my personal opinion body building has no place in our line of work. The job is to fight and win not try to look essence and stackers in front of a mirror.

Clearly we are all essence and stackers anyway (gen) but lads who spend more time doing curls for girls than doing functional phys that attributes to their ability to function as a soldier need to take their head for a dump and put their chit in

stumpylegs

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Or compromise and do pull ups, they have pull up bars in most accommodations at lympstone, and that exercise is crucial for the whole of Rt ie in the gym, bottom field. However as mentioned before, you’ll probably be to sore or doing other things to worry about pull ups unless you get injured or you fail on pull ups/rope climbs in training.
I did find time to foam roll and stretch calves occasionally in Rt but that was for recovery.
If you get a weekend, you’ll spend it buying kit, eating out and getting *text deleted* faced:D

Aerial

Reaction score
You can take resistance bands if you want but all they'll do is sit at the back of your locker collecting dust.

Totally agree with Advocado. The only valid use for resistance bands would be stretching / flexibility along with a foam roller.

stumpylegs

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Most lads start OP Massive once they finish RT, taking up crossfit and/or powerlifting during free time at unit.
The PTI’s look massive and say they don’t do curls, most do crossfit and compete together.

JustLift

Reaction score

Free time in training is spent sleeping, revising/updating your affairs folder or squaring your kit away and doing your admin. Anyone who prioritises sculpting their guns before any of that does not belong in the corps.

In my personal opinion body building has no place in our line of work. The job is to fight and win not try to look essence and stackers in front of a mirror.

Clearly we are all essence and stackers anyway (gen) but lads who spend more time doing curls for girls than doing functional phys that attributes to their ability to function as a soldier need to take their head for a dump and put their chit in

Yeah i understand what *text deleted* saying, i do not do bodybuilding for showing off tho, its a complete mental thing for me it just makes me feel good and its got me through hard times. I might have to accept changing my training to suit the military as u were saying, and go back to gaining size after all training and after ive left (if i get in that is)

Chelonian

Reaction score
@JustLift My twelve-year-old niece can belt out pull ups and happily to-and-fro across monkey bars, taking a rest halfway by hanging from one hand. It's about strength-to-weight ratio. In a wager I'd put my money on her to win any similar functional strength contest against a gym bunny.

She can also wrangle rams and calfs to the ground but that is less relevant here. :)

Plenty of opportunities after RT to focus on bodybuilding. I'm not knocking it; just suggesting as others above have done that it isn't the optimum for RT.

bogsandmud

Reaction score
Seems like
I might have to accept changing my training to suit the military as u were saying

It will have to change to suit the RM, but worth it surely. The more closely it approximates RM fitness criteria, the better prepared you are. The big picture is you have all your life post-training to compete/train in your chosen physical endeavour, it's only a temporary sacrifice

JustLift

Reaction score
Seems like

It will have to change to suit the RM, but worth it surely. The more closely it approximates RM fitness criteria, the better prepared you are. The big picture is you have all your life post-training to compete/train in your chosen physical endeavour, it's only a temporary sacrifice

Yep your right mate, only a temporary change, cheers

Caversham

RM Commando, Crossed The Bar 13/12/2020
Reaction score

Bang on the money!

Alan

New Threads