French Foreign Legion

rusty92

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone ever thought of this??.. Just reading about it now, Sounds solid and very awesome!.. Something wouldnt mind doing myself, But need to look into it more.. The elite of the elite these guys, The training sounds mad.. They really do make you warriors.. Take a look on youtube at some of the stuff they do!.. My dad said he nearly joined when he was in his 20's after getting in to trouble with the police on a regular basis for various things, He said it would be a good way to start a new life and change everything!..

Just been on this site, And it tells you there recruitment offices and you basically turn up and they strip you of all your possessions and they change your name to something else and then you get training to be a human machine!, Sounds madness!

http://www.foreignlegionlife.com/chapter1.htm#wheretojoin

How many people have thought of joining then??..

More information at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_Foreign_Legion

Sam

EDIT!..

The pay for a Légionnaire is £660 a month!.. And we say the pay for the marines is bad!.. Not that the pay in the legion would matter, Money aint needed!

rusty92

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Commando Training

Several commando centres are located throughout France. The training focuses on advanced soldiering techniques during a three week period. You are likely to complete at least one commando course during your career in the Legion. On one of these courses, a week is completed in Mont Louis in the Pyrenees mountains with the second week conducted at Collioure, located on the coast south of Perpignan. The final week consolidates the lessons learned during the first two.

The following activities are covered:

* Rappelling and scaling techniques.
* Confidence and obstacle courses.
* Instruction on boobytraps and explosives.
* Hand to hand combat.
* Touching the tracks of a tank as it rolls towards you then letting it roll over you as you lay between its tracks.
* Building rope bridges.
* Methods of fighting in built-up areas.
* Instruction on kayaks and Zodiac inflatable dingies.
* Swimming in the sea without a life vest carrying rucksacks and rifles.
* Eating raw sardines and mussels.

Jesus some strange stuff they do!

Sam

big oshea

Reaction score
yes but royal marines are still better soldier than them other wise germany wit have took over uk to :):)

the french foreign legion celebreate camerone a defeat why the *text deleted**text deleted* would you celebrate a defeat

big oshea

Reaction score
just kiddin mate i have thought of just waitin till 18 and joinin the legion but its soulds solid and u need to learn french makes it even worse

jeremy

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Bear grylls did a program on it ('Escape to the legion'?) and the message was, unless your life is completely *text deleted**text deleted* and youre a crap person DO NOT JOIN.

big oshea

Reaction score
a seen that on tv and no offence but thats bull *text deleted**text deleted* quite a few people join for the challenge and for the hard training

jm745

Loafing Member
Reaction score
I'd watch Legionnaire with Jean-Claude Van Damme in first,
and don't think you're him,
think you're one of the other blokes.

It's very tough,
and I don't see the point,
unless you're on the run from the police,
and it's spend a lot of time in jail or join the Legion,
that's the most legit reason for wanting to join.

And I thought,
this is going on the film again,
you could only go home,
if you fulfill you contract (don't know what this is, maybe you sign to do a certain amount of years),
with a disability,
or if you're dead.

"There are only three ways you can return to France. One, fulfill your contract. Two, disability. And three, in a box!"

Joe

jm745

Loafing Member
Reaction score
The FAMAS does look like a pretty sweet assault rifle though.

Joe

big oshea

Reaction score
its 5 years the contract
and u only know what u have read so u really shoudint insult it

jm745

Loafing Member
Reaction score
Well unless you were in it,
or knew someone in it,
so have you.

And where did I insult it?

I just don't see the point in joining unless you are in trouble,
because you can join your own country's forces.

Joe

big oshea

Reaction score
ahh but u see u wur sayin ppl shoudint join unless running from somthing or in trouble and aww i said was i would join maybe but dont want learn french *text deleted*

jm745

Loafing Member
Reaction score
Oh,
well I personally don't think you should join unless you are running away from something,
better?

It's just I can't see why anyone would pass up the chance to join the Paras or the Marines,
or any other regiment for that matter,
that have a long history of pride and achievements and will treat you well,
so you can join the French Foreign Legion,
and fight for/defend a country that chances are you don't have any ties to.

I can understand the interest in it though,
I would like to read a book by someone who has done it,
but unless something comes up that prevents me from joining the British Forces,
and the Legion will let me in,
I won't consider it.

Joe

big oshea

Reaction score
aye much better mate *text deleted* haha

good point go to google type in french foreign legion
and theres sum people been in it wrote some storys

i do no want to be a mecenary so i wouldnt join the legion either

royal marines or army

rusty92

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah agree with you both there, Prefer to be a marine and fight for my country than fight for a country which doesn't really give a sh*t about me!.. Just watching this documentary now and to be honest they really dont give a crap about what happens to them, The guy was like "They dont give a sh*t about us because were just stupid foreigners in there minds, Hence the reason why they make us go into battle before the french army!".. So for that reason im also out! :laugh:

Sam

jm745

Loafing Member
Reaction score
I think being a mercenary and being in the legion should come under two different categories,
I can kind of understand people who become mercenaries for a bit,
I don't mean ones that turn up in war torn countries and fight for the highest bidder regardless of morals,
I mean these people that are mercenaries in companies that the US army pay to do some work in Iraq,
main reason people do that,
money.

I'm not saying I'd want to be one myself mind as it's very dangerous,
and I don't fancy dieing for money.

Joe

big oshea

Reaction score
people that join the legion fight for the 700 euros a month they are not fighting for there country there are fighting for a foreign country makin them a mecarenary tell u truth anyone wants to be a mecenary good for them hope its good life *text deleted*