friends and family

flump1

Reaction score
wel i was just thinking about how supportive my friends and family are about me joining, and was wondering how other people's friends and family are with them joining. personaly my family doesnt relly want to see me going into RT because they know if i pass then i will be going to afghanistan, on the other hand they are very suportve. My friends are aswell, i have a friend who is a peace camper (hippy) *text deleted*, he is also suportive even tho he and his family are total against war, there often at our local navy base (faslane) campaigning, about te war and neuclear weapons, we often joke about me going into the fleet protection group and having to deal wih there shite about the nukes. *text deleted*. Only downfall is this girl that *text deleted* recentay got involved with, she says she dusnt want me to go and we'r rather hesitant to start relationship with me starting training in a few months, as she knows the career will always come first. Well as the saying goes "bro's before hoe's". hahahaha

and just a little word of encouragement for the people who are going on a PRMC or about to start RT "Pain is temperary pride if forever" chin up and crack on ! :)

Lloydy101

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
hey mate

my family and friends are also very supportive about me joining!! my dad is a colonel in the Royal Logistics and is setting me up and helping me prepare for POC and if i pass AIB. My older brother is helping me train heaps with the long runs and circuits and my dear old mum is helping me through my A levels hahahahaha. my mates think im a good leader and really want me to pass out with the green beret :)

good luck mate, make your family and friends proud

"Quitters never win, winners never quit"

Lloydy

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Everyone has reservations about joining, rest assured.

For a relationship to continue, it takes two people that are able to cope with separation- often the people that can cope with separation aren't always able to cope when they're together all the time & many servicepeople find it difficult to adjust when they leave.

With regard the Ban the Bomb mob, assuming they are realistic & mature, they will recognise that anyone who has been involved in actual combat is probably a bigger advocate of peace than they are!

Here's a handy guide for your family:
Download: "Thinking about their future" HERE

flump1

Reaction score
well Lloydy thanks for the good luck, and all the best to you aswell. ninja cheers for the advice, i had a little look at the advise for the family thing a few days ago, told teh maw n that 2 have a look..*text deleted*. and as with the bird we'r not in a relationship as of yet, just good friends and getting better :*text deleted*: :*text deleted*: just have 2 see how it goes eh. *text deleted*. all the best ppl

shazza

Reaction score
flump1 said:
Only downfall is this girl that *text deleted* recentay got involved with, she says she dusnt want me to go and we'r rather hesitant to start relationship with me starting training in a few months, as she knows the career will always come first. Well as the saying goes "bro's before hoe's". hahahaha

Bin her..If she not willing to support you shes not worth it!
My OH is in the middle of recruit training and i said from day1 i would support him as much as i could and even though i do find hard it sometimes i wouldnt change it for the world!
We have been together 7 months now but its all going really well and he always tells me that hes glad that i give him so much support because it keeps him going.
Most of the guys in his troop are now single because the girls didnt want to put up with it!
Not many of us girls around who put up with being with soldiers as its a hard job :P

Do you know why she doesnt want you to go? If she really does like you im sure you both could atleast give it ago! Because you may end up regretting it for not trying. You never know...It could work out

flump1

Reaction score
she's not in any way saying that she dusnt want me 2 go, just more worried about me as im sure you are with *text deleted* man. any way we'r not in a relationship o im pretty minted at the mo. *text deleted*.

shazza

Reaction score
Hmm ok fair one but hmmm..*text deleted* i dont know! I wouldnt let that get in my way.

Course your going to be worried but you lads get trained for what you do to the highiest and tours are the down part of being with a soldier but as being a padsbrat all ym life i know military life can have its good sides.

Well whatever happens or whatever yas choose im sure you will do what ya think is best :)

Good luck with everything! X

flump1

Reaction score
career first i always say, *text deleted*. same happend with my skating career, it came first. cheerish very much

shazza

Reaction score
career first thats how it should be :wink:

Joining the RN hopefully end of this year..i will put everything i can into my relationship but i want to join navy and do my thing for a few years so that means both of us being in military..Will see how it goes.

flump1

Reaction score
could fit in rather wel, you never know. what you planning on doin in the navy

shazza

Reaction score
Would be wikked if both would work out and we wont be the first ppl doing it.

I want to join as an air engineer technician but if ive got the brains for it is another question :*text deleted*:
Im not stupid but the last 4 years of school i went to german school as my mum is german and they want to stay in germany when my dad gets out the army.
Ive got to switch back to being english *text deleted* but its all good because im taking my GCSEs at the army learning center on camp to see what i need to work on and that..If im not good enough i want to join as an aircraft handler but thats not an option for me till i have tried everything to get in as an AET.

flump1

Reaction score
quality, ialways anted to be a pilot inhe rf, flying fast jets, but it turns out i m a dumbass, hahaha. i bblamethat on living in africa till i was 10, the education over there is a shiter. so thought RM and see if i can get flying with them. *text deleted*. well all the best too you, im away for a run :( its pishin it. haha. catch:)

shazza

Reaction score
:*text deleted*:

Well have fun on ya run :cry: i should go for a run but no motivation :? OH use to beast me at the gym now his back in the UK doing his RT im left to beast myself! CRAP *text deleted*

X Cya

ste preece

Former RM
Reaction score
Parents

Guys: I recall being somewhat surprised at my father's concern about me when I had told him that I wanted to join the marines. He too was an ex military man and always talked about his experiences.

I guess its natural that a parent should be concerned.

I also recall how proud he was of me, once I'd made the grade.

Best Regards

Steve

Plummy

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I was surprised as my dad was always the type to say i cant wait till you leave this house when i told him i was joining the marines he did not believe id do it .. and then poof 3 weeks time i am going into RT with a girl which is very supportive ive talked to her about how many times i am going ring her a week etc if i can which is two and she is fine and understands if i do not do this ill be very unhappy throughout my whole life :*text deleted*: also she is going university and i would not stop her doing that i am still young 17 been with her for 2 years and would be hard to ditch her as shes helped me through alot and took me down the afco office *text deleted* so i think having a girl down at ctcrm you may get a couple of jokes like i reckon *text deleted* bird is defo *text deleted* somone else now plummy or somthing on the same lines *text deleted* but i think there more up side then downs

shazza

Reaction score
Re: Parents

ste preece said:
Guys: I recall being somewhat surprised at my father's concern about me when I had told him that I wanted to join the marines. He too was an ex military man and always talked about his experiences.

I guess its natural that a parent should be concerned.

I also recall how proud he was of me, once I'd made the grade.

Best Regards

Steve

:roll: Your right but is it fair for a mum to say she will support you with everything you do except joining up?

I understand my mum is scared (and im only going for RN) but i dont think she will ever come around.

Everybody says to me that she will be proud when she sees me pass out but i always imagine me passing out at HMS Raleigh and only seeing my dad there.
I would love her to be there because passing out will be my dream come true.

flump1

Reaction score
plummy having a girl could very well be a good thing, she could be more insentive 2 pass and im sure someone that you could talk to in the many low points you will get through training.

Gaz the "Taff"

Reaction score
My mum isnt to happy with me Joining. My dad gave me a pat on the back. My Nan isnt happy. my Gramps is happy im Joining but upset that i will, eventually, go to Ghanners. people at work are happy but know *text deleted* all about the RM..they think RM is a part of the Army! :*text deleted*:

My nan offered to go out with a pic of me and get me a girlfriend so id stay home *text deleted* my mum aint to happy because of her experience with my dad, Being away all the time, can be very very very very stressfull on relationships ect...

BUT! people are happy that i want to do somethin with my life and not sit on my arse on the dole. So its a mixed bag with me and my Folks and friends. Mates down the pub often catch me in a joke, being that RMs are part of the Navy they say "Whats that on your heel mate?" i go to look over my shoulder or behind my leg and they all shot "ELLLOOOO SAILOR!" :*text deleted*:

Dodger

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
was with a bird for four years and she wouldnt support me through *text deleted*, i should of been through welbeck now as a pongo officer but she convinced me not too, thank *text deleted* as i would of never had my chance at RM but sometimes women can be like that.

my parents aint keen on me going for RM even if it is as a reserve because they know i will be more than willing to go into a warzone and serve my country. But non the less, if/when i walk through my door with my green lid, they will be proud of me.