Friends and relatives from Northern Ireland

kt 7

Reaction score
My boyfriend is planning on joining the Royal Marines and has just got an application pack. On the main application form there is a question asking if you have any relatives or close friends that live in or have ever lived in Northern Ireland. I'm from Northern Ireland and am worried that as his girlfriend this will affect his application. Can anyone shed any light on how important this question is, thanks.

M1664

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
im sure as long as you havnt got ties with the IRA it will be fine *text deleted*. dont worry about it.

HHHNNN

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
*text deleted**text deleted*....my nans side of the family are irish catholic and ive got some distant relative that ive never met in prison for selling weapons to the ira...*text deleted**text deleted* i wouldnt mide but despise those republican *text deleted**text deleted*ers

ste preece

Former RM
Reaction score
Check

My boyfriend is planning on joining the Royal Marines and has just got an application pack. On the main application form there is a question asking if you have any relatives or close friends that live in or have ever lived in Northern Ireland. I'm from Northern Ireland and am worried that as his girlfriend this will affect his application. Can anyone shed any light on how important this question is, thanks.
I would imagine that this will only be a routine security check, because of the past troubles in N.I. Its no big issue really. I served with many good bootnecks from over there.

Cheers

Steve