Fully Blown Shin Splints.....again!

Rob

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Just as I thought they were getting better theyve started again. Looks like Im *text deleted* have to try and put back my date for PRMC from the 30th of October to a later date.

I think shin splints are offically the most annoying frustrating things you can ever get!
Theres so many people telling you to do different things I just dont know what to do.
This is what Ive been doing and has not worked-

Seen a physio
Inserts in running shoes
resting
swimming instead of running
running off road
hot baths
stretches

I think Ive tried the lot and I just dont know what to do. I think my best bet is, and it kills me to say it is wait until i can no longer feel them no matter what i do. Ill probably have to get some of those custom made asics running shoes aswell.

Anyway if anyone can suggest what I should do Id be happy to hear it.

Lshort1988

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
i started getting them and then worked out i was over pronating slightly so bought some good quality running shoes for mild over pronation.. made a world of difference! if you havent already id definately suggest going to a proffessional running store have a word see if youve got the right ones and if not change them!

Rob

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
yes I think ill probably have too, even though I wanted to avoid doing that. If Id of done it earlier I might have been able to do my prmc on its original date and Id of been able to train loads more aswell so Id be much fitter than I am now. :cry:

Jamie

Reaction score
have you been doing the strenghenibgf technique for the front of your shins.
if not it goes like this.
stand about 9/ 10 inches from a wall and lean back so your back is resting on it.
then lift and point your toes as far up as you can, then lower them so there just off the ground.

Keep goin for a few minutes then you should feel the love pretty soon.

Ill try to find the website late that explains it properly

robigunner88

Reaction score
How long have you had yout current running shoes for?
Last month I had problems with my pain in the top of my feet and lower shins.
I thought that I might have broken something when running as I went over on my foot. I was in a lot of pain but continued to run on it. After each run I wasn't able to run on it for at least 3-4 days.

So I decided to get rid of my running shoes that I had for over 1 1/2 years and bought some new ones call Mizuno Wave Arashi.

I went running in them straight away and had no problems with them or my foot since.

paddlequack

Reaction score
I haven't tried this yet mate but it sounds pretty good and cheaper :)

Rob

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Jamie said:
have you been doing the strenghenibgf technique for the front of your shins.
if not it goes like this.
stand about 9/ 10 inches from a wall and lean back so your back is resting on it.
then lift and point your toes as far up as you can, then lower them so there just off the ground.

Keep goin for a few minutes then you should feel the love pretty soon.

Ill try to find the website late that explains it properly
Thanks for that Jamie Ill try that. Itd be good if you could get me the link to the web site though.

So you guys have had pain in your shins then it simply goes when you get new trainers? sounds to god to be true?

Lshort1988

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
So you guys have had pain in your shins then it simply goes when you get new trainers? sounds to god to be true

yeah i read them up in a running magazine said that thats one of the biggest contributes to shin splints so the first pains i got in my shins i realised it would be worth ditching my old trainers (which were for neutral runners) and getting some with support for pronation makes sense, you need to absorb the impact and theres some theory that it can be as much as the equivalent to 4x your bodyweight everytime your foot hits tarmac so thats a lot of pressure going through your bones on a run if you got the wrong trainers!!

also as said above before you run even just tapping each foot individually about 30 times toes pointing up gets the blood in that shin muscle (tibial something?!) which can help prevent them youll feel them warm up when you do it!!
[/quote]

Rob

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
worst day ever... went to the AFCO for my pre prmc briefing told them I had shin splints. They werent happy at all that Id never told them and now they wont let me go on the prmc on the 30th of October :cry:

I have to go and see their doctor at the office tomorrow and see what he says. But they reckon I wont be able to go until December or January.

Im absoloutly guttered. The only good thing to come out of this is that there running a pre prmc in November and they said theyll put me on that. And atleast with the extra time ill be able to get fitter and get rid of the shin splints.

Shiloh79

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that mate, was looking forward to meeting up with you on the course ! :? but as you say you've got more time to get your shin splints sorted & get even fitter, so thats a bonus!

Though i'm beginnning to think that the 30th October prmc is *text deleted* be cancelled .... as much as i've searched i havent came across anyone else on this date :!: :?

Rob

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
could just be you on *text deleted* own :*text deleted*:

Nevermind ill get there one day im only 19 so theres no rush.