Future Commando

Crispyshot

Reaction score
Hey I am wondering having seen the new future commando uniform video if anyone knows how this will affect recruit training and the application process etc. It seems like an amazing change over!

thirdtry

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
They're the WW2 flashes as a tribute to the originals, seem to be dividing opinion though!

Wings

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Have to say I am jealous. Elite units should have better kit. We have been asking for C8s for a while.

SCOTTY6

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I don’t have enough bananas to say for sure but I imagine it won’t impact recruit training very much. I would put my money on only getting the gucci kit once you’re at unit. It’l be pussers webbing and SA80s for nods. No point in giving them the new Gucci stuff because it would cost a bomb and then get absolutely fragged, from bottom field and tests etc.

Chelonian

Reaction score
The central figure below is Captain Desmond Dillon RM in 1945. He is wearing the blue battledress tunic with the shoulder flash which presumably inspired the new issue design.

dillon_res.jpeg

DutyWretch

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
The green/brown (dependant on woodland/desert DPM) flashes that I wore looked far better in my opinion.

But those ones stand out more for those who want to be noticed I guess.

Caversham

Former RM Commando, Moderator
Reaction score
The green/brown (dependant on woodland/desert DPM) flashes that I wore looked far better in my opinion.

But those ones stand out more for those who want to be noticed I guess.
I mentioned earlier that the "mudguard" red on black ones were re-issued in 1971 after being withdrawn sometime in the 1950s? (fairly sure that I have seen phots on them on the old battledress, which was replaced by lovatts in 1964, but not sure on that one) and were worn only on the wooly pully.

I also prefer the look of the green/brown ones.

Alan

thirdtry

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Was there not a time circa Herrick that they were MTP with red writing? Some of my old training team definitely had them but not sure how widely they circulated

Royal2010

Commando Training Wing & Drill Instructor
Reaction score
The central figure below is Captain Desmond Dillon RM in 1945. He is wearing the blue battledress tunic with the shoulder flash which presumably inspired the new issue design.

dillon_res.jpeg
I think Captain Dillon needs to stop giving it 'big licks' around the camp with his driving gloves and get himself on a Commando course.

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
71K+F0CnOPL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
The red on blue flashes were re-introduced around 1971 in the "mudguard" shape for wearing on the JWH, i.e. the Wooly Pulley.

41Q-bQjUIIL._AC_.jpg

Not sure if these are issued now.

Alan
And why don’t we keep them as such? Instead of wasting time money and effort reinventing the wheel?
Plus we all know it’s an attempt to sneak in that awful ensign too.

I love the old pics of bootnecks in DPM with the red and black flashes and dagger.
I still think we should keep the green ones. And pretty much 98% of bootnecks I’ve spoken to agree. Some officer had an idea and instead of seeing what the lads agree with and like, they just plough on, and get an extra ration of caviar in the officers mess....

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
And why don’t we keep them as such? Instead of wasting time money and effort reinventing the wheel?
Plus we all know it’s an attempt to sneak in that awful ensign too.

I love the old pics of bootnecks in DPM with the red and black flashes and dagger.
I still think we should keep the green ones. And pretty much 98% of bootnecks I’ve spoken to agree. Some officer had an idea and instead of seeing what the lads agree with and like, they just plough on, and get an extra ration of caviar in the officers mess....
And an OBE. You forgot the OBE.